4.0 out of 5 stars A little bit disappointed, but...
I've recently purchased this book and already passed the first part of the exam. And in some areas of the exam I've noticed that the book was really superficial and yet in others the book covers some daily commands in such details. I would be probably more critical if I would fail the exam. :) Will see how it go with part two.
Published on 8 Feb. 2006 by Tomaz Bracic

2.0 out of 5 stars You can pass the exam just using this book, but only just.
Published on 13 Mar. 2006

2.0 out of 5 stars You can pass the exam just using this book, but only just., 13 Mar. 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Sun Certified System Administrator for Solaris 10 Study Guide (Exams CX-310-200 & CX-310-202) (Certification Press) (Paperback)
I have sat the first exam this book covers (cx-310-200) and I was not impressed by how much material this book had either missed or skipped over quickly. In particular this book has very little on the new Solaris 10 features such as SMF (svcs, svcadm etc), which is a problem as this is a pretty radical change from the standard init/run level unix system. The exam question on this topic in particular were much more detailed than the book material.
It also has an annoying habit of hiding import information in the middle of paragraphs of text (e.g. file locations) making quick review difficult.
The book also suffers from poor editing; it appears as though a non-technical editor was the last person to proof read the book as there are passages that have obviously incorrect syntax (e.g. missing |'s before grep).
On the plus side, the book covers the material that is included with out too much waffle and comes with a reasonable practise exam that is very similar to the real thing (although a little easier).
In short, this book reads like a Solaris 9 book that needs alot more updating for Solaris 10. And proper editing.

3.0 out of 5 stars needs proof reading, 1 Mar. 2006
P. Pavelin (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
Quite liked the layout of this book, and it broadly gave me what I needed to pass the Part I exam so far. Absolutely teeming with typos, often several per page, including in the test questions. I cannot beieve the book was ever proof read by an experienced System Administrator. A good guide to exam content for an experienced SA, but I fear the typos would confuse a novice.

1.0 out of 5 stars A pretty poor book that is too basic., 28 Jan. 2006
D. R. Kirkby (the UK) - See all my reviews
The book has lots of white space on the pages with no text. If I wanted to look at white paper I'd buy a packet from the stationers.

The book first discusses the kernel, but then goes back to the very basics, which is not what I personally want. For example, it shows you how to respond to

You are told you need to type your username, press RETURN and that the system will respond with a request for your password. The book tells you to enter your password and press RETURN. We are told the password will not be echoed to the screen for security reasons. (There's no mention of logging into remote systems via CDE or Sun Java Desktop).

Then the 'cd' command is discussed.

If I needed a book at that level, I'd buy a beginners, dummies or idiots guide - not one aimed at Sun's Solaris exams.

The coverage is not very deep, which is inevitable given the amount of whitespace and the level it starts at.

I also bought the book "Solaris 10 System Administration Exam Prep 2" by Bill Calkins. Despite Bill Calkins' book being 50% more expensive, it is much better value. Since that book is recommended by several Sun employees involved in setting the exam, I can only assume the level is about right, which means this book is far too basic.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't base your study solely on this book!!, 13 Mar. 2006
Its worth noting that the positive reviews of this book are from people who have yet to sit the exam. I did my study for 310-200 based on this book and I too was very pleased with it and felt very confident.
I started to feel uneasy when I read davidkirkby's review which questioned whether the book went into enough depth. As a result I went off and did alot of independant study. This saved me in the exam.
This book gives you a false sense of security. As davidkirkby says, Bill Calkins book goes into alot more depth and seems much closer to what the exam requires.
To give three examples, the subjects of SMF, printer administration and x86 booting were not covered in enough depth. I could quote three or four commands which came up in my exam and are not mentioned anyware in the book

1.0 out of 5 stars Important stuff missing, 3 Jun. 2008
I think the exam must have been updated since this book last was as there's key topics missing from the book. The books also pretty long winded and only includes a practise exam for part one. The practise questions are also much easier than the real exam ones.

To me it tries to be both a study guide for the 2 exams and an introduction to Solaris and hence fails on both counts.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but by no means comprehensive..., 26 Oct. 2009
I'll keep this reasonably short. The material which is covered is patchy to say the least. User and Security administration are covered well, but there is no mention of umask or access control lists (ACLs). Differences in naming conventions for disks on SPARC and x86 systems are sketchy and could really use some more explanation. The Processes Management section covers pkill, ps, pgrep and prstat well enough but misses off coverage of other commands which are frequently examined upon (such as ptree).

I'd say this book is good for a coverage of the core of the material, but if you want a comprehensive coverage of the material (and trust me, you do) go for the Calkins book. If your budget will allow get both, and use them in tandem.

A note of warning (for both books really). Please don't imaging the questions supplied by the book are anything close to as difficult as the real ones. They are the same format (ie, multiple choice with 4 or 5 options) but that is where the similarities end. Even Suns own practice questions fall short, though these are more representative.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's a good start but far from enough, 9 Jun. 2010
having just taken the solaris certification upgrade (to upgrade my solaris 8 certification to 10), I found this book to be possibly a good base but far from enough to take you through the certification.
you certainly need some hands one experience, so unless you are working on a daily basis as a Solaris SA, start working on Solaris x86 (unless you can afford Sparc hardware) and try to gain some hands on experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little bit disappointed, but..., 8 Feb. 2006

5.0 out of 5 stars Passed the Exams!, 22 Mar. 2006
This is a rock solid book. I have passed both the exams after preparing from this book and from the practice exams that come with this book. I found this book self contained and very focussed on the exam objectives. Yet there is a perfect flow throughout the book. All concepts are clearly explained. This makes this book especially suitable for the beginners.I do not agree with the criticism that this book does not cover the Soalris 10 features well. The Solaris 10 features are covered adequately throughout the book where they are required by the exam objectives and by the flow of the presentation. The fact that most of the messages critical of this book have the same tone and they promote the competitor book, makes me wonder if this is just a PROPAGANDA for the other book. I don't care if the other book is good or bad. This book has helped me and I believe this is an excelent book, so I recommend it to everyone: the people who want to prepare for the SCSA exams and the people who just want to learn the basics of Solaris 10.
The Errata for the book is already avaliable. You can download it by clicking on a link in the Amazon Connect feature on the Product Description page for this book on amazon.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Exam Study Guide, 3 Feb. 2006
I'm a Solaris System Administrator, and have used this book to prepare for the Solaris 10 certification. I am all ready to go, and very confident due to this book. It explains the complex and boring material in a very simple and interesting way. Everything sounds so simple and basic once you understand it. Besides, It gets easier to memorize for the exam once you really understand what's going on. And, that's what this book has done for me: Explained the concepts in a logical way that no other system admin book, that I have, does. It's to the point and does the best job that it is set to do.
Even after passing the exam, I'm going to hold on to this, because it's not just a collection of commands, it's a self contained Solaris System Admin book for the beginners. Well, even if you are a seasoned system administrator, you can certainly use it for the exam.