5.0 out of 5 stars Just Passed the Exam

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book but not the only book
Published on 16 Aug 2000

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Passed the Exam, 24 Nov 2003
This review is from: Sun Certified Programmer & Developer for Java 2 Study Guide (Exam 310-035 & 310-027) (Paperback)
I can't express enough how useful this book was, absolutely spot on. I have just finished the exam and scored 95%. The authors have carefully described why things work the way they do which helps you to understand and hence remember the way things are. The sample exam and questions are also very accurate, in fact I got 95% for the test exam the night before I did the real exam. I would say the sample questions are tougher than the actual exam.
If the above is not enough to convince you, then two of the questions from my exam where almost identical to questions I got in my exam, one regarding arrays with dog names such as "Fido", etc.
By this book, read it, understand it, do the sample exam, pass the real exam, it really is that straight forward.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most efficacious � I scored 95%, 4 April 2003
TC (Malmesbury, Wiltshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Review of Sun Certified Programmer & Developer for Java 2 Study Guide (Exam 310-035 & 310-027) Copyright 2003 ISBN: 0072226846 (Yes, it now covers the Developer Exam too)
Having spent three weeks reading Part I (The Programmer Exam) I took the exam and passed with a score of 95%. I think that speaks for itself.
I can't comment on Part II (The Developer Exam) because I have only browsed through it, although if it's up to the same standard as the first part I'm sure it will be of great use when the time comes.
I can, however, speak with authority about Part I having read it word for word, and taken the Self Tests at the end of each chapter. I chose this particular book over its competitors primarily because it was the most recently published, and also because I got the impression that other 1.4 study guides were hastily rehashed versions of the earlier 1.2 (310-025) versions. That's not to say that I think this tome was put together any less hastily, judging by the number of mistakes I found. However on the whole the mistakes are minor and in some ways I treated them as a "did you spot the deliberate mistake" exercise. The publishers do, however, maintain a detailed erratum on their web site, to which I will be adding a few observations. Having said that, I did find the book easy to read and the Self Test questions useful. The questions supplied on the accompanying CD were very useful and representative of those on the exam. It was well worth downloading the complementary second set of questions. One slight annoyance with the Master Exam software was its inability to be resized, forcing you to scroll some questions up and down to see all of a code excerpt. In that respect it was not representative of the real exam. "Practice makes perfect" as they say, and in this case I think that adage is especially true.
As for the coverage of subject matter, the only facet of core Java I noticed to be missing was initializer blocks. I'm not sure whether this is deliberate (because they aren't explicitly mentioned in the certification objectives) or just an oversight. I liked the format of the book, with sections for each of the exam objective, and a so called "Two-Minute Drill" at the end of each chapter, listing, as bullet points, all the important details. I could almost have managed without taking notes because these "Two-Minute Drills" often just reiterated what I had noted; but, never the less, they gave me a comforting reassurance that I was on the right track. And then when you think you've learned it all the questions at the end of each chapter make you realise how wrong you can be.
All in all an excellent study guide that I'd recommend to anyone planning to take the Sun Certified Programmer for the Java 2 Platform 1.4 exam.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Excellent, 10 July 2004
L. Miles "L" (UK) - See all my reviews
With the intention of passing the exam I bought this book and the Sybex alternative in the hope that if I didn't understand any particular topic I would have two different descriptions to work from.
I read the Sybex book first and doubted whether I needed to actually read this book, however, once I started I found that the content was far more constructive, intuative and helpful than the Sybex book had been.
This book covers many topics in more detail than is needed for the exam but which gives you a solid foundation on all the subjects. I am an experienced Java developer but the book still pointed out intricate details which even I was not aware of.
Buy This Book !!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for passing the Sun Certified Programmer exam, 22 Dec 2004
Robert Pearce (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book is not what you want if you are after a Java tutorial. It does however do what it claims, and is an excellent guide to the Java Certified Programmer exam. I had previously read Mughal and Rasmusen, and whilst that book appeared to have far more depth, this one is more readable, and presents the material in a more understandable way. That being said the style can begin to become irritating on reading the same chapter for the second or third time.
One thing that Sierra and Bates are excellent at is pointing out the "gotchas" - those tricky questions that are found on the exam.
If you get one book to study for the exam, then you could do worse that this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written - excellent for non English native speakers, 3 Mar 2005
By A Customer
I looked at quite a number of books and web sites - but without doubt this was the best I found. With a bit of humour thrown in it helped to liven up what could be mainly dry facts. Very well presented and explained. I started from absolutley zero. For people who have English as a second language this book is very good for explaining things and making them as easy as possible to understand. I have three German colleagues who have all used the book to pass the exam first time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, 29 Mar 2007
David Bennett (Sweden) - See all my reviews
Highly recommended. A great study guide for the exam and a handy reference book for the fundamental parts of Java. It helped build my confidence and knowledge level to a point where 95% was a slightly disappointing result.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely superb study guide, 29 May 2003
If you're serious about passing the SCJP 1.4 exam you need look no further. Where it excels is its ability to describe some of the more banal aspects of the language in a way that won't make you drop off. All of the SCJP objectives are covered in clear detail, without over-elaboration ofter found in other guides.
Buy this book, sit the practice exam questions, and you will pass the real exam with ease.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book but not the only book, 16 Aug 2000
By A Customer
I found this book to be pretty useful for my Java 2 exam but it should not be the only book to be referred for the exam. Also the companion CD is not worth it and has many bugs. Java IO is not mentioned in the book though I had 2 questions from that topic. Java awt and event handling has not been discussed in detail and any future user of this book should take care of reading more about them. Overall this book was a great starter but need extra resources and efforts to actually pass this exam. So the moral of the story is do not depend on this book only refer to other java resources like Java docs on the web site and Java programming language book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Guaranteed Certification, 14 July 2003
By A Customer
The beauty of this book is that it tells you all of the trick questions that may arise.
I found that I could spot the trick questions from a mile off by the time I took the exam.
Before this I was getting low scores on mock exams of 50%ish but I got 81% due to this book.
If you read this you will pass, I can guarantee it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic study guide, 16 Sep 2003
Mr. Rd O'donnell (Horley, Surrey) - See all my reviews
This was the only book I purchased for the programmer exam and I passed with 91%. I found Sun's online practise questions to also be useful, though I would of still done very well in the exam just by using this book. My only criticism is that this book is not particularly geared towards the developer exam- sure it will help but you are much better off with Mehran Habibi et al’s book.
If you purchased this book make sure you download the free second practise exam.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›