on 25 May 2003
I can't see which bit of "Exam Guide" the one-star previous reader didn't understand.
No, the book doesn't show you how to set up environments, but that is not what the book is for! It's much more concise to use for studying than the actual Oracle course manuals for the exam.
I've used this book and scored 51 out of 53. I strongly recommend buying it.
Are you going to be a Guru in Oracle 9i after reading it? No.
Will it help you pass the exam? Yes.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on 22 May 2002
I bought this book in order to study for the Oracle9i upgrade exam. However, when I started to read it I realised that the book concerns itself only with new features in the Oracle9i database and hence doesn't discuss how to setup an environment in which to test these new features. An example is the Replication section. The book immediately starts discussing how to add a new master without quiescing the master group.
Hence, it doesn't discuss how to set-up replication in an Oracle9i environment in order for one to test the new features. This is left entirely up to the reader. And therefore I find myself spending more time reading the Oracle documentation in order to establish environments in which I can test new features, than focusing on reading the book and the actual upgrade exam.
People might argue that this information comes with experience with the Oracle9i environment. But I would argue that:
1. Most DBA's wouldn't have had the chance to look at all services and all new features of an Oracle9i database.
2. If you actually have come across all services and new features of the Oracle9i database, you wouldn't need this book anyway...
What's worse, is the fact that this book is officially endorsed as the authorised OCP study guide by Oracle Press.
Bottomline is: This book is not worth the paper it's written on. There's a complete lack of depth and scope. An added bonus is the amount of typing errors found in this book (e.g. references to data dictionary view names etc.), as well.
At the moment you would be better off reading the "What's new" sections in the Oracle documentation when studying, at least you will find documentation pertaining to how to establish environments that can be used to test new features.
The online Oracle study guide will tell you exactly where to aim your study sessions - and therefore this book is useless.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again