5.0 out of 5 stars Getting Started with Python
Excellent book, I'm using it to teach my son programming on the Raspberry PI. Its a great intro to python programming on any platform, nut is bent towards the PI's unique features such as programming the GPIO. thoroughly recommended.
Published on 7 Jan. 2013 by Geoff Waldron GSM Primographic

3.0 out of 5 stars for the absolute beginner
This book is for the absolute beginner, I bought it hoping it would give me good insight into using the Raspberry Pi to create some cool hardware/software applications, although it does that to a certain extent the book skims over it with the very light touch.
Published on 31 Jan. 2013 by Rodney Griffin

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting Started with Python, 7 Jan. 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but, 13 Mar. 2013
The general programming elements are interesting and useful. But the first 20% of the book (as measured by the Kindle) are concerned with describing and setting up the Pi, which I thought wasteful in a short book and unnecessary given the ready availability of this on the Net.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cover the varies software languages, 10 May 2013
This review is from: Programming the Raspberry Pi: Getting Started with Python (Paperback)
A good read for anyone planning a project using raspberry pi, as it builds up layers of python software from a basic starters to more advance

5.0 out of 5 stars Goldilocks book, 23 April 2013
This book is just about pitched right for those wanting to venture out from the basics. Nice and straight forward explanations and with lots of diagrams and pictures and copious amounts of code.

5.0 out of 5 stars a traditional text book, 31 Oct. 2014
PhilC (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
This book explains a lot about Raspberry Pi. Very clear, very precise. If like me you like the style of a well written text book this is an excellent book. The sort of book that can be used for reference.
Moreover it gives information on the hardware as well. Wish I had bought the book earlier and before grandson arrived,

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 6 Mar. 2015
I found this book an interesting and amusing read. It is written in such a way as to be interesting and educating at the same time. It told me all I wanted to know to start from nothing. (My last programming experience was DOS!!)

I found myself smiling at times as the read is easy on the brain, a relaxed style. I also found it a time waster as I got so involved that I had read to the end when I should have been in bed!!

Going through it the second time using the Pi at the same time made everything fall into place. I would recommend it to any person new to the Pi.

5.0 out of 5 stars here we go again..., 17 Aug. 2013
David T. Woolrich (Cheshire UK) - See all my reviews
I first got intersted in computers a few years ago, well 1980 actually. I bought a Sinclair ZX80 and 81 and I was hooked. This new product looks very interesting and at 66 years old quite a challenge.....

3.0 out of 5 stars for the absolute beginner, 31 Jan. 2013
So you should consider buying this book if you do not know what a Raspberry Pi is and never set one up, have never programmed, and especially not with Python, as more than 50% of the book is devoted to setting up the Pi and basic python programming, for which you will find better resources on the internet for free. There is not enough for specifically programming with the Pi hardware, which after all was what I was after.
One good thing is he does mention many of the extension boards and how they can be used. Other than that it is not worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and easy to read, 15 Dec. 2012
This book is brilliant. If you are a relative novice to programming like me, it takes you right from the basic "hello world" app, right up to reasonably complex programs which involve the use of the Pi's GPIO ports. And if you are already a master programmer it still has alot to give, with information involving the specifics of the Pi and what extra software needs installing (All with links etc) so that you can create a masterpiece in next to no time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really straightforward however, some enjoyable challenge., 21 Mar. 2014
The book helps you to set up your raspberry pie and quickly progresses through to the initial stages of how to use Python. I found that the programming moved at a significant pace and very quickly the activities became more and more challenging. I particularly enjoyed the way the small tasks unfolded along with my understanding. I have been very reliant on the internet to help set up my raspberry pi however, with so much out there it can get quite overwhelming. This book is great for someone new to it like myself and I will certainly be using it with my pupils.

Design and Technology Teacher - Surrey

Programming the Raspberry Pi: Getting Started with Python
Programming the Raspberry Pi: Getting Started with Python by Simon Monk (Paperback - 1 Jan. 2013)