5.0 out of 5 stars Read it and learn
I've been reading it for a while, and it presented the topics in a clear and not boring way. good
Published 4 months ago by sokiu

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as difficult as the exam
Published 9 months ago by Christina

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as difficult as the exam, 8 Nov 2013
This review is from: OCA Java SE 7 Programmer I Study Guide (Exam 1Z0-803) (Oracle Press) (Paperback)
On my first run through the practise exam that came with the book, I needed half the time and scored 93%. Sitting through the real exam I spent close to the alloted time and scored 85%. I.e., the real exam was more difficult than the impression the book gave me. I can also agree with other reviewers that there are factual errors to watch out for. If something doesn't make sense, look it up elsewhere!

But in all fairness, it was also quite helpful. I liked the exam-hints as well as the review bullets and test questions at the end of every chapter. More code exercises would have been great.

2.0 out of 5 stars Book of errata, 17 April 2013
P. Perhac "MasterPeter" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
While this book did do its job and I passed the exam with flying colors, I still think it's one of the worst technical books I have ever read. Half of the text feels like it isn't even English, the other half is luckily Java code, but even that is riddled with typos and other errors.

I found it extremely frustrating - stumbling and stumbling every step of the way. I can't understand how Oracle can release a book that's so obviously not even been proof-read by any competent proof-reader and how they, Oracle, happily put their name and logo all over the book's covers. I would have expected the book to be of much higher quality.

Since it's dealing only with the very basics of Java SE7, it CAN be used for exam preparation, but... I just CAN'T force myself to rate it any higher. My final verdict is: I *recommend* but - also - spit on this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it and learn, 18 April 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Great course book for their course, 25 Mar 2014
A good book, easy to read and follow, good structure and always helpful in preparing for and taking the exam.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre book with easy reading, 21 Feb 2014
This book is easier than the actual exam and that also includes the test. Some sections of the book are totally out of the exam syllabus like object relationships with associations. In the real exam there are very few theoretical questions. It's a good start but I would recommend Mala Gupta's book which offers a much harder test which is more accurate in difficulty. Not a bad book though but certainly you expect something higher in quality from Oracle Press.

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent book on the subject, 3 Oct 2013
This is a good book.
It might be enough for you to get through the exam, personally I am finding I have to do a bit more before I am happy to take the exam and be confident of a good chance of passing it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book., 12 Sep 2013
Mr. Z "dureza" (Agueda, Portugal) - See all my reviews
Very good book in Java with free material to help teachers in classroom.
Why it's very hard to find this type of books in Portugal?

4.0 out of 5 stars We recommend it!, 6 Jun 2013
We purchased this book (multiple copies) to give as a gift to our students who are preparing for the the exam. We recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars OCA Java SE7 Programmer 1 Study Guide, 18 Mar 2013
Arrived quickly and in good order. Seems to serve the purpose I required, which is to pass the Java Examination.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not touch the kindle Edition, 3 May 2013
I have the kindle edition of this book and it is a real let down. There is NO table of contents so getting around in the book is a nightmare unbelievable for a text book. The online additional material I have tried to register 3 times and have got no response. The actual content is nothing special.

OCA Java SE 7 Programmer I Study Guide (Exam 1Z0-803) (Oracle Press)