Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 December 2012
A good introduction to the subject of hacking that mixes high-level descriptions with a reasonable degree of technical depth. This is not a 'how to' book but rather a 'what can be done' with some 'methods and approaches'. The book is better than most I have read because it uses real examples and introduces readily available tools. I found it extremely useful in helping me to consider cyber vulnerabilities and risks within IT systems. It would make a good addition to an existing library on the topic as it fills the gap between 'Hacking for Dummies' and Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) material.
on 3 November 2012
This is a fantastic security reference book although should be used in conjunction with blogs and security forums to keep up to date.
on 11 October 2015
Having just passed my Certified Ethical Hacking Exam (CEH), I wanted to share how reading this book prepared me for the exam. Reading Hacking Unleashed 7 gave me a head start when I entered my 4.5 day training course running up to the exam.

EC-Council recently updated CEH to version 9. Although the new subject Cloud Computing is not included in this book, the new subject Mobile is. I can’t say I have read the official CEH book (it has not been printed yet and reading from the PC screen is not my thing), so I can’t really compare the two. I did browse through the CEH book and, for what it is worth, it feels like a slide deck, unlike Hacking Unleashed, which is really a well written book.

If you want to pass the CEH exam, then I recommend that you first learn the basics (e.g. CISSP and OS knowledge). Once you got that covered then you can start with this book to basically learn everything for the exam. I can imagine that you’ll still read the EC-Council book, but Hacking Unleashed 7 will make you understand how things work.

On a side note, I read How Linux Works: What Every Superuser Should Know. It might seem strange that I am recommending reading another book while trying to finish the 700 pages of Hacking Unleashed 7, but for me it made sense to really make sure that I got my Operating System basics covered before moving on to webserver and database hacking. (If you don’t understand what cmd.exe and /bin/bash do, then how are you going to understand why you would want to run those on your target).

Happy hunting!
on 6 March 2013
I always get excited with these book they are like a encyclopaedia of hacking. Fantastic authors and the layout is the same brilliant formula they stick to in all of their books. A brilliant read all editions always the first port of call in the IT security world.
on 17 December 2012
The book helps to understand the approach of hackers and how to make appropriate countermeassures.
This book is up to date with IT world, covers threats for Unix, Windows, database, web applications, smartphone (and other areas) and gives very practical advices.
on 11 November 2014
Very useful book, particularly if you are studying CREST certification.
on 30 July 2015
Excellent product, Fast delivery - well packaged - Thanks!
on 6 January 2016
In Time, On Time & Exactly as Described.
on 17 February 2015
Good book and quick delivery