on 13 November 2013
This covers all the basics that you might want for this level (Beginner to Intermediate) while integrating useful vocabulary in a way that helps you to remember it. The grammar is broken down into distinctly understandable units and the exercises are practical and a few questions refer to the previous chapters to help you remember them. It contains about 400 pages and includes an answer key and a basic glossary (mainly of words used for the exercises). You do get the feeling it was made for central American Spanish but this is only for a bit of vocabulary. The grammar lessons are very well explained and presented. I haven't tried the audio recordings yet, but even without that I would strongly recommend this book
on 12 January 2014
I use kindle for large print reading and none of the examples expand. So I cannot read any of the spanish words or their translations. Such a pity because it seems a very useful book and even better if it all worked on kindle. Fortunately I downloaded the sample first so avoided buying it.
on 24 August 2015
The contents of this book is excellent . I bought the 1st edition for myself and I was so pleased with it I ordered another for a friend. HOWEVER the 2nd EDITION WAS VERY DISAPPOINTING. The book was a much cheaper produced edition. The paper was very thin newsprint paper, thinner than a newspaper, so thin that you can see the text overleaf. Some pages were wrinkled in the process of binding. The font had also changed and less user friendly to read. You wouldn't be able to write in pen/ biro without it showing through masking some text overleaf. A very cheap publication compared with the first edition. I can recommend that you look for the previous publication.
review image
on 5 April 2013
This is an excellent workbook! Helped me improve my grammar a lot. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to improve their Spanish; I think it would be particularly useful for beginners and intermediate level Spanish learners.
on 21 February 2014
Half of the point of this book is to be able to "fill in the blanks" which is most of the book. You can't print out the pages to fill them in as the Kindle won't let you. The only thing you can do is add a note which you have to keep clicking if you want to see what you put. The audio doesn't work either. Waste of money - buy the paperback version.
on 28 April 2013
Recommended by my Spanish teacher and does have some good exercises for the intermediate learner, starts off with basic present tense exercises and builds into all the tenses and vocabulary necessary to get say a good A-Level grade. Description are easy to understand and well thought out. Worth a purchase if you want a good book to keep you on track.
on 30 November 2015
Really good grammar book to use which doesn't over complicate things, I love practising with these books, teaches me how to use grammar properly and use verb conjugations and understand what the different tenses are used for. This book doesn't bore you to death with just passages of text. It gets straight to the point so you feel like you are really progressing. These books are so good that I purchased them for French, Spanish and Italian as I am studying these languages at a language school and they have been very helpful. I want to be as proficient as I can in the languages that I am learning! I recommend for people who are afraid of grammar when learning languages, this will show you that grammar is nothing to be feared of!
on 7 February 2013
I am teaching myself spanish from not knowing any more than no hablo ingles and dos cerveca por favor.
It is working well and I am definately learning spanish but it is not a stand alone work. I am sure you would get there eventually but I am getting the most out of it with the aid of the kindle collins dictionary (yes you will need to buy the spanish english and the english spanish versions, it does say so in the title for those of you who read the bad reveiws and wonder if it is ok), the assimil spanish with ease book and audio and the inestimable word reference website.
All this together I feel well on target for my AS in 2014 provided I put in the work.
Exercises introduce new vocabulary and grammer points are covered clearly. The answer section is linked via a button you press on the page and linked back from the answers.
There is only one thing which prevents me giving it a 5 and that is that the Audio answers are not supported on my PC or anroid tablet so I wonder what they are supported on? But there is instructions for getting to the website so not difficult just a little perplexing.
More aimed at adults than children for the vocab side of things it would still be a excellent workbook for any age.
I recommend
on 26 August 2014
I have the German and French versions of this book too and assumed they would all follow the same format: ie, starting off with the basics, introducing new vocab gradually and asking you to perform fairly repetitive exercises - all of which help the grammar & vocab to sink in. Unfortunately, the Spanish version of Complete Grammar gets you to complete sentences from the beginning without translating a lot of the vocab (I waste a lot of time flipping between the dictionary at the back and the exercises at the front) and uses far too much vocab to give you a chance to absorb it. And I'm usually pretty good with languages.
on 30 January 2015
My teacher uses this to teach us grammar for our Higher course. Higer languages are the Hardee's higher's so you have to work extra hard, this book saved mine & my friends life! It explains everything so simple but effective & also has practice exercise for you to get the hang of it. For someone who is looking to take Advance Higher Spanish this will be a life saver & it will be great to have when I got to university for languages. Honestly its very very useful I would highly recommend it!