5.0 out of 5 stars Use social media effectively
Published on 28 Dec 2011 by M Tsun

2.0 out of 5 stars Likeable Social Media
At 260 pages this is not a short book - but it could be. One piece of advice was repeated at least 20 times. As a beginner or newbie to Facebook I expected help on HOW to set up my pages - boy was I wrong on that. The reviews for this book looked so good but I was very disappointed. It's an OK book but full of self hype. Everything it has to offer could have been...
Published 23 months ago by Zipdorf

5.0 out of 5 stars Use social media effectively, 28 Dec 2011
This review is from: Likeable Social Media: How to Delight Your Customers, Create an Irresistible Brand, and Be Generally Amazing on Facebook (& Other Social Networks) (Paperback)
I own a local professional service and have a FB page which has very little interaction from my fans. I wanted to find out how to use my page effectively for my business and in the past few months I have read many books on social media but none of them has helped me so far. Sure, all the authors advocate having a Facebook page and go on about how, if you don't have a FB page, you're not taking advantage of the power of social media. Yet few of them show you how to actually harness this power. It's frustrating to say the least.

Likeable Social Media is the most informative book I've read on the subject so far and I wish I had bought this book first. It would have saved me a lot of money and frustration. Yes, a lot of what it talks about seems obvious, but only after you've read it. It has many of these a-ha moments and I found myself thinking "Of course, why didn't I think of that!" It dispels a lot of the myths surrounding social media and I started gaining a much clearer picture on how to use it to interact and engage, rather than how most people use it, which is to broadcast, promote and sell. I came away feeling really excited and empowered, and eager to put what I've learned into practice.

If you want to learn how to use FB and other social media to your advantage, don't wast time. Just buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars All by myself. Don't wanna be, all by myself anymore, 17 Jun 2013
Hal Marshall "Literary philanthropist" (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This book is so relentlessly cheerful that it managed to convince me, computer illiterate but familiar with every binary swear word in my own machine's vocabulary, that I could very easily make massive changes to promote myself and my business better through social media. It is a complicated read, especially if you bring almost nothing with you by way of social media savvy, but it is the sort of work that is begging to be read several times, picking out more and more of relevance as you grow in confidence.

I read this a number of times while on a recent cruise. Dave Kerpen has produced a highly informative book, dealing with some very formidable topics, and he has made that book highly enjoyable to read. There is perhaps a little too much 'product placement' amongst the examples for my tastes, and the constant references to Likeable Media do really become quite aggravating by the end (he's CEO of that company. You didn't know that? Oh, you soon will - he only mentions it approximately six million times). But I found myself becoming more and more frustrated that I couldn't just find myself a computer there and then and put Mr Kerpen's '18 strategies' straight into action. Well, I could have found a computer easily enough but, since ship's internet costs precisely one arm and one leg, that was simply never going to be a goer.

Up until sending for this book, I had always been one of those people who very much favoured 'face-to-face' negotiations and a telephone - a 'Dinosaur', I think that's the polite word for us. I do not readily embrace technology and technology seems to embrace me like an iron maiden. I don't even know why I sent for this book - the only logical explanation would be some kind of midlife crisis. This work concentrates very heavily on Facebook and I do have an account. But I don't have one solitary 'Friend' there. Not that I'm that unpopular (at least, I sincerely hope that's not the reason); It's just that I have never really promoted myself over there. That and the fact that everyone I know is even more incompetent when it comes to computers than I am.

But that's all going to change now. Everything from targetted advertising to dealing with disatisfied clients, it's all covered. The author devotes much time to emphasing how even the most caustic of online complaints can be completely turned around in order to give a positive image to the company, provided you handle the reply properly. I'm not entirely convinced that will get me very far with the sort of no-necked bruisers from Basildon that I have to deal with sometimes but I'm willing to give it a go. Not that I'm expecting too many complaints, but I might just look into buying myself a keyboard that can bite its metaphorical tongue, just in case

I don't have the courage yet to follow the suggestions and see who is talking about me online and, more importantly, precisely what they are saying. However, perhaps the most valuable and intriguing idea to actually get maximum effect from your presence on the web is to lurk in places where your professional services may be required (message boards perhaps, or the odd forum), ready to leap out at the right dramatic moment, unfurl your avatar and offer some 'unbiased' advice. I shall be doing that, definitely. And may heaven help you all.

I'm off to 'create an irresistible brand' now, so I can 'be generally amazing on Facebook (and other social networks)'. I'll start with Facebook. Luckily I quite like my own company.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, opened my eyes to the world of social media, 20 April 2012
I am new to the world of social media. This book was absolutely fantastic. Great ideas, lots of actions to take from it and would highly recommend it to anyone. It was a really easy read and full of great examples. A definite must have!

4.0 out of 5 stars Must have for commercial business leaders, 7 Feb 2012
I bought this recently and was thrilled with the way that it went into all aspects of social media in the business. Using real examples to bring the content to life, Dave walks through the subject artfully and in a manner that everyone should be able to follow, regardless of technical ability. Unusually it's also quite an 'easy' read for such a book, whilst still containing plenty of meat for everyone.

The majority of the book is aimed at Facebook from the point of the 'traditional business', but there are mentions of and lessons that can be applied to not for profit/charity and other types of organisation as well as all social media. If you own or sit high up in an organsiation, you can't afford not to have a copy. I'm buying one for the MD and my copy's gone to the PR guy (temporarily).

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be in every social media marketers hands, 25 July 2013
I bought Likeable Social Media alongside The Ultimate Small Business Marketing Book and 500 Social Media Marketing Tips, based on the amount of positive reviews on Amazon and a bit of googling. I was looking for direction for our companies social media marketing efforts. I have had the books for a few days now and feel ready to review.

Out of the three, this book is the best. It bridges the gap between the lack of information contained in USBMB, but the good explaination of positive language, and the shorter 500 Tips. It provides more explaination but is easy to dip into now and then. Infact everytime I open it I read a few more pages than I have time to, each time gleaning more precious information from it. The only negative I can think of is that it does lean towards Facebook all too often and sometimes neglects the other networks but really, that is a moot point. Well recommended for those trying to get a step up on the social media ladder.

5.0 out of 5 stars Likeable Social Media.... worth reading!!, 27 Aug 2011
As I have started dealing with social media at work,I was after a book which would would give me information and also some ideas on how I can be more effective with it and how to go about dealing with social media as a whole. Likeable Social Media provided me with the information I needed!! The book contains a range of topics and covers everything which anyone who is in social media will need to deal with; from responding quickly to bad comments, to listening first and never stop listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars How and why social media can increase our ability to listen, to respond, and to be empathic as no other media can, 5 Jan 2013
Robert Morris (Dallas, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I commend Dave Kerpen on his rock-solid decisions concerning how to present the wealth of information, insights, and counsel found in his book. For example, the title of each of the 18 chapters serves multiple purpose: as an admonition, as a core principle, as an especially important issue, and/or as an affirmation. They comprise both a multi-dimensional challenge by Kerpen to his reader, and, as the values and strategies for his manifesto of advocacy. For example, consider the titles for the first five chapters:

1. Listen First, and Never Stop Listening
2. Way Beyond "Women 25-54": Define Your Target Audience Better Than Ever
3. Think -- and Act -- Like Your Customer
4. Invite Your Customers to Be Your First Fans
5. Engage: Create True Dialogue with, and Between, Your Customers

Kerpen immediately establishes and then sustains a direct, personal rapport with his reader and thus serves as a role model for his articles of faith and pragmatic street smarts. As is seldom true of other business books I have read, I felt that he wrote this book specifically for me and presumably many others will have the same sense of collegiality. He thoroughly covers the WHAT of achieving and then sustaining success with social media but most of his and his reader's attention is devoted to the HOW.

With regard to the meaning and significance of the book's title, Kerpen observes, "In the end, succeeding on social networks amounts to your ability to be likeable. There are two fundamental aspects to this term: likeable business practices and likeable content." I wholly agree with him as do millions of others who have been involved in major consumer research studies conducted by firms that include Gallop, Nielsen, and Consumer Reports. They indicate that feeling appreciated and "easy to do business" are among attributes of greatest importance to them. Also keep in mind that most of the companies annually ranked "most highly admired" and "best to work for" are also ranked among those that are most profitable and have the greatest cap value in their industry. Coincidence? I don't think so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sporty Tourists, 30 Jun 2013
E. L. McGowan - See all my reviews
I am currently in the process of building a brand that is very user friendly. I bought this book with the intention of picking up a few good tips.
I didn't pick up a few....I picked up a lot! This whole book is fantastic for starting out or starting over. It makes the 'jargon' of social media easy to understand and take advantage of.
I started to build my brand 'sporty tourists' from scratch in February and have grown it quicker than I expected on a minimum part time basis!
This book if followed is a recipe for social media success.
100% recommendation!

5.0 out of 5 stars A new way of thinking!, 3 Jun 2013
This book has completely changed my opinion about social media. It was the only book about business social media in the shop and I am so glad it was. We have a FB and twitter account which we use but have had little interaction from clients. We wanted to look at a new way to market our business without spending lots of money. I have read many texts on social media for business and up until Likeable social media they had not given me new information or a clear way to be successful.

I was/am (still learning to be a likeable business) taking part in social media incorrectly. After reading 'Likeable social media' I took a different view on how I should be connecting with our clients and gaining new ones. It was a 'so that's how I should be doing it' moment.

Every chapter gives you a new way of thinking and shows you how to listen to social media, listen to your clients/customers and not talk at them. I came away feeling excited that I now knew how to work with social media.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant insight into the future of marketing, 3 Nov 2011
Alot of the information in this book is stuff which you would think is common sense - but only after you've read it! Trying to use traditional marketing techniques in the new social media world is a mistake almost every company seems to make and this book gives you the knowledge and skills to set your business apart and become likeable! A brilliant book.