5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book + brilliant cd's = brilliant course!
Practical and a quick way to learn a language. I've put the cd's on my iPhone so I listen to the conversations while working out and I'm amazed how much you'll be able to say and do in Swedish with just this one course! A must for Sweden lovers!
Published 23 months ago by Ben Piette

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money!
Published 7 months ago by Mrs R Thomas

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book + brilliant cd's = brilliant course!, 16 May 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars complete and proffessional, 13 Sept. 2012
someone (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
Because this was a gift I don't know very much about it except what I learned during the ordering process and then some glimpses nd snippets once my daughter had opened it. I am a languague teacher myself and it seemed to be the most complete teach yourself Swedish pack I could find on Amazon; because of the CD's it trains listening and speaking skills,as well as reading and writing. The set looks and feels very professional and the recipient is delighted with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 15 May 2013
This is a Really fine book, full of explanation and clear Swedish . The writing is also so easy to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Usefull audio book, 24 Dec. 2012
This is a good audio book for helping me learn Swedish. I have never found it easy learning a new language but this helps a lot, Although I'm still trying to find the best way to help me learn Swedish this is really helpful to hear how the words are pronounced on cd etc

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 14 Oct. 2012
I was travelling for one month in Scandinavia this summer, and so back in April, I decided to get this book and teach myself a "crash course" in Swedish. I had done it with modern Greek for a previous trip as part of my university course and it had proved useful. And again, the Swedish one was SO efficient! In only three months, doing ca. 30min everyday during my break at work, I managed to know enough to get around not just in Sweden, but also in Norway - and to some extent in Denmark. It is really great to get your started! I have now moved on to the "Complete Swedish" in the same Teach Yourself collection and it is just a pleasure to learn more!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for reading, won't really help you speak, 31 July 2011
This book is really well written and introduces the basics of Swedish in an interesting and digestible way. First taking you through basic pronunciations and introducing grammatical concepts of plurals, adjectives and verbs gradually. There are cultural notes along the way as well which help to give a fuller picture of Sweden as well as just the language.

The downside is I have found the accompanying CD to be impossible to find, and as with anything, unless you actually practice the thing you want to do then you won't beomce very good at it. The result being that I find I can understand swedish quite well when it's written down, but without hearing it spoken and speaking it yourself (preferably with a native to tell you when you're pronouncing something wrong) you won't learn to speak it with just a book.

So, in conclusion. This is an excellent little book for getting the theory and increasing your vocabulary, but don't expect to become a fluent speaker without actually speaking the language with somebody regularly.
(and if you do find somewhere that stocks the accompanying cd let me know!)

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book to learn Swedish, 5 Mar. 2015
I recommend this book. It took a while to get through the first few chapters, as I didn't find them much fun with struggling to memorise the words, but once past them I realised how the book works and really started to enjoy learning. It keeps reminding you of words used in past chapters in quite clever ways. So don't be put off if the words are not sticking straight away by the end of the book you will know them and be able to speak, read and write a fair bit of Swedish. I recommend also buying a Swedish to English dictionary to accompany the book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money!, 31 Aug. 2014
Waste of Money. I bought this as an introduction to Swedish for the whole family. The first 4 units are far too complicated as a starting point. It does improve slightly after this, if you have not been totally put off. Why teach how to manage in passport control (where everyone speaks English) before how to buy a coffee, ask for the toilet or say hello! You will learn more in 10 minutes of YouTube clips.

4.0 out of 5 stars A lively introduction to Sweden/Swedish, 9 Oct. 2014
This is a very useful course in the usual Teach Yourself format. The main criticism I would have with this is that the vocabulary comes rather 'thick and fast' without enough time to assimilate those words before the next onslaught of vocabulary. I do however, like the scenarios and situations; it presents a lively introduction to Swedish culture and history; this enlivens the learning.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a really useful book for intermediate level, 8 Jan. 2015
It's a really useful book for intermediate level. The kindle format on the fire works perfectly. Easy to navigate to the question/ answer pages. The audio is in-build in a really smart way so you can listen while reading, and turn the pages etc with the audio continuing in the background. Would highly recommend - and I hope for the next one, perhaps the advanced level now?

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Complete Swedish (Teach Yourself: Level 4)
Complete Swedish (Teach Yourself: Level 4) by Ivo Holmqvist (Paperback - 14 Jan. 2011)
Used & New from: £9.99