5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for study and reference.
Published on 16 Aug. 2010 by A+ killa

2.0 out of 5 stars Dated
Published on 18 Jun. 2011 by COSTADELSOLBOY

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for study and reference., 16 Aug. 2010
This review is from: CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Seventh Edition (Exams 220-701 & 220-702) (Hardcover)
I bought this book as I'd been waiting months for the scaled-down Passport edition to be published, but it kept on being pushed back. Glad I got the full book though as I gained a deeper and greater understanding of the material. Myers really gets into the historical context and goes beyond the mere requirements of the A+ exams. This is both a blessing and a curse, depending on how you look at it, as there's alot more to study, if you choose to.

The good thing about this approach is that the book retains its usefulness as a reference. Already I've had to refer to the book when running into problems I wasn't quite sure how to solve.

This is not a brain-dump sort of text. Get this book if you really want to get a full understanding of pc repair and maintenance and are prepared to put in the time.

Also, the included CD has loads of test questions, free utilities, etc.

Well worth the money. Best and most complete A+ book on the market.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Study Material, 8 April 2010
B. P. Benton (UK) - See all my reviews
Having purchased the past two editions; fifth and sixth respectively - I like to keep up to date; I have found the new book to follow along with the same user friendly content and explanations of everything in the book.

The book covers all exam objectives and includes a handy exam simulation too!

A must have tool for anybody looking to complete the CompTIA A+ exams - ideally before the end of 2010 as you have to renew them every three years otherwise!

2.0 out of 5 stars Dated, 18 Jun. 2011
This book is now out of date if you are studying for the exam. OK as a reference book but the 'powers that be' updated the syllabus in Jan 2011 to include Win7 which is not covered in this book. Only found this out as my son used this book to home study for comp tia exam, only to fail on course work not covered. In short DO NOT PURCHASE FOR COMP TIA A+ exam, as it only has 75% of course material included............

5.0 out of 5 stars comptia, 10 April 2010
I was very happy with the book as im doing my exam on comptia very in to detail on the subjects would recomend to people that are studying comptia.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is great ! Ideal for those sitting the A+ exam or simply wanting to build on a hobby, 2 Oct. 2010
I have only recieved this book 2 days ago and i have already read the first 5 chapters, i simply cant put the book down.

The book is great for explaning well... everything, It explains how the components work behind the scenes and how it realtes to what the users see. Also it provides more indepth information going past the A+ exam, which is ideal for those who wish to learn it as a hobby aswell as the exam. Also take note that the information that goes beyond the exam is clearly labeled and noted.

I would highly recommend this book for people sitting the A+ exam.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want to pass A+ you buy this book., 15 Nov. 2010
I felt I had to join the love Mike Meyers club and offer praise to this book. Its concise, and well presented. I have just taken both 220-701 and 220-702 today and I'm pleased to say I passed them both. Although I did invested heavily (in time not money) in example exams that can be found online. This book was by far the main reason i passed. I am now studying for CompTIA Network+ and surprise surprise; I'm already reading Mikes book for Network+

4.0 out of 5 stars Comptia A+ an excellent buy., 19 Nov. 2010
Had been looking into studying a certificate in IT and came across this book. Though using computers for the last 25 years, this book has helped me refamiliarise myself with many forgotten techniques and formalise my knowledge. It is early days yet - but having gone through the first four chapters the book is thorough, clearly written and explains concepts very well. Great for the beginner or experienced alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars a good support for the course, 18 Sept. 2012
I bought this for my son, who is studying the CompTIA A+ course to become a geek. When he's not at his lessons, he has his head in this book - avidly reading from cover to cover. Now, if my boy doesn't like something, he will not spare my feelings and tells me so. If he does, then it's an unintelligible grunt, a drowsy nod, a half-hearted thumbs-up, and then his head buries itself in the book again. From this kind of reaction, I gather it must be good.
From what I can see (when I can see), there are lots of self-explanatory diagrams, the text is laid out well in an easy to follow format, and there are many little boxes containing handy tips.
Fortunately, Mike Meyers writes as he speaks (yes, I've seen a couple of his video tutorials), which makes this subject easy to understand - even for non-geeks like me! I would recommend this for anyone currently studying the course, anyone contemplating going on the course, and for anyone who has no intention of going on the course but wants to learn more about the ever-bewildering world of computers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but.., 22 July 2012
It's an okay book, it goes into a lot of detail. However lot of this book, whilst interesting, isn't stuff you need to know. You could probably trim this book down by 300 pages without losing anything essential. This means I have pages upon pages of notes that are completely irrelevant and sadly this irrelevant information detracts from the time one could be reading relevant stuff!

It's also a shame that it doesn't cover Windows 7 specific things because "They won't be on the exam". Instead you have to buy another book to supplement it.

Another issue I had was with the CD. It was in perfect shape but the folder that contained the files for the exam-program wasn't accessible. In the end a friend had to give me her CD instead.

If like me you already know enough to get, say, 60% on the exam but need to brush up on areas, this book may involve a lot of wasted reading time. On the other hand if you don't know what Ethernet is, or if you don't know a PCI from a PCI-E, this book is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars CompTia seventh edition. A real diamond of a book!, 5 Jun. 2011
This is a fantastic book, fully comprehensive and incredibly informative-an excellent book if you're repairing computers with all the technical software and especially all the hardware information fully and clearly even laboriously explained. Most defenitely by far the very best book on computer repair, knowledge and information i've ever read. It explains concepts of software and hardware repair and installation in minutest detail including projects and would be senarios. Invaluable and priceless if you are running a business in computer repairs/upgrades/servicing etc but also very interesting even if you are not a student but just wish to increase your knowledge of how computers work. I have looked through many computer know how books and have never found any to be even a tiny bit as helpful and thorough and useful as this book is. I recommend everybody who wants to find out and learn about computers to read this book!
Brilliantly written Mike Meyers!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›