5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Javascript Beginners Guide.
Published on 30 Nov. 2010 by John T. (Uk)

3.0 out of 5 stars Academic foundations, but not practical
It is well explained and very clear. Absolute beginners will not be stuck anywhere.
I would recommend it for students who wish to pass an exam, as it explains everything in detail. Javascript has its own syntax for operators, it is a highly developed language, and as such it takes much time to learn.
But it is not a crash course. After 200 pages, you will know...
Published on 9 Jun. 2012 by J. L. Vergaert

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Javascript Beginners Guide., 30 Nov. 2010
This review is from: JavaScript, A Beginner's Guide, Third Edition (Paperback)
I've looked at a few javascript beginner books and none have come close to the greatness of this book! John Pollock has really taken the beginner into consideration when writing this book, its so very well written and he thoroughly explains every bit in so much detail. Im only half way through this book, and ive learnt so much from it already! Considering i have no javascript knowledge at all, going into this book i thought i would be struggling but i was wrong. After each chapter theres exercises of what you have learnt from that section and i really couldn't speak highly enough of this book. Thank you so much John Pollock, Im very much hoping you will write an advanced book soon. great read and very well written. I would surely recommend this book to any beginner starting out in javascript.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Programming Book Ever, 6 May 2012
This review is from: JavaScript, A Beginner's Guide, Third Edition (Paperback)
JavaScript A Beginners Guide is the best programming book I have ever read. I own six books on programming and this is easily head and shoulders above the rest.

At college I learned VB.Net and so when I decided to learn a new language, JavaScript, I already knew the basics or at least I thought I did. I wish I had read this book first as each concept is so well explained. Even if JavaScript is not the language you will primarily use I would still recommend this book.

It took me about a month to read from cover to cover and I am so glad I didn't skip even a single page. My only negative is that John Pollock doesn't seem to have written an intermediary book - if anyone has some good suggesttions I would like to know. I was thinking of getting next the JavaScript & jQuery: The Missing Manual book and then tackling the beast of a book which is Javascript - The Definative Guide.

3.0 out of 5 stars Academic foundations, but not practical, 9 Jun. 2012
J. L. Vergaert "Jean Louis" (Hammersmith, London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
But it is not a crash course. After 200 pages, you will know everything about variables, operators and objects, but practically you will only learn how to make "Hello world, my car is green and I like a big engine" popup boxes.... and most likely, you will be tired like me of reading theory.
I also do not understand the structure of this book: we start to study "how to create objects", which is one complex matter, simply because the author believes that "it might be useful" before starting to review the various preset objects.
If you are in a rush and with to become practical very soon.... do not buy this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 27 Feb. 2013
Amelia (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: JavaScript, A Beginner's Guide, Third Edition (Paperback)
I used this book to learn the basics of Javascript, it is well written, clear and with a good variety of examples.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 Dec. 2014
Excellent

JavaScript, A Beginner's Guide, Third Edition
JavaScript, A Beginner's Guide, Third Edition by John Pollock (Paperback - 1 Oct. 2009)