4.0 out of 5 stars and in this corner . . ., 15 Dec 2007
Leonard Fleisig "Len" (Virginia Beach, Virginia) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Boxing trainer Angelo Dundee is on my list of people I would love to sit in a pub with so I could just listen to him talk and tallk and talk. He always seemed like one of those guys who can tell a story, and then another story, and then another story each one better than the last until the bell rings for last call and you get up off your bar stool and make your way home. And that is the feeling I got reading Dundee's "My View from the Corner: A Life in Boxing."

This is or has the feel of an `as told to' book with famed boxing writer (and great story teller in his own right) Bert Randolph Sugar. We have Angelo Dundee talking to Bert Sugar about boxing, the universe, and everything and the result is a book that makes you feel as is you really were sitting next to Dundee and Sugar in your local bar.

The book is roughly divided into three parts. In the first, we hear about Dundee's youth and introduction (through his older brother Chris) into the world of boxing and his early stable of fighters, most notably light heavyweight Willie Pastrano. The second and biggest part takes us through Dundee's years with Muhammad Ali, from his days as Cassius Clay, through his last days as a fighter. The third and final part covers Dundee's post-Ali years with Sugar Ray Leonard and George Foreman (during his second stint as the lovable, heavy, old timer).

Dundee's style is conversational and reads more like the transcript of his conversations with Sugar than it does a conventional piece of writing and I think this works perfectly. It isn't pretentious or smug; it is just Dundee being Dundee and that's pretty darn good.

Dundee's discussion of his relationship with his fighters, particularly Ali, is the heart of "My View from the Corner". I don't think any reader will be disappointed. Dundee was extraordinarily loyal to the fighters under his care and it shows. However, he doesn't shy away from discussing the flaws of those same fighters, including Pastrano, Ali, and Leonard. He is one of life's realists who knows that even our sporting heroes can have feet of clay so when he talks about some of those flaws it doesn't come across as bitter or angry. It simply comes across as a glimpse of a real human being.

Dundee, as you would expect, also gives a great account of his view of some of the great fights of the last 50 years including the two Ali-Liston fights, Ali-Frazier I and III, Ali-Foreman, and the two Duran-Leonard bouts amongst others. His story of Ali's knockdown by Henry Cooper in London in their first fight and the miracle of the slit glove that gave Ali two minutes of rest is compelling. For me, Dundee brings a view of his fighters' famous and not so famous bouts that I just never would have seen as just a fan even those I've watched time and time again.

I think any boxing fan, even readers with just a passing interest in the sport, will love this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars boxing history, 22 Dec 2009
Excellent book.Cannot be faulted.Recommended to anyone with interest in the subject.
Steve

5.0 out of 5 stars great view, 29 July 2009
A nice view in a time where boxing was bigger then now. Some real nice anecdotes from Angelo Dundee. This man has really seen it all and his experiences are a real nice read.
This book is a must have for the real boxing fan, young or old.

5.0 out of 5 stars My View from the Corner, 17 April 2012
Angelo Dundee was a boxing man and the book deals with the golden time in boxing, Muhammed Ali, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Marvin Hagler, Suger Ray Leonard. Excellent book from who must be one of the boxing legends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 6 Mar 2011
This review is from: My View from the Corner: A Life in Boxing (Paperback)
This book is a must read for any boxing fan. The amount of stories in this book is amazing, Its got funny stories, sad and serious ones about what happened in and out of the ring plus its being told by angelo dundee, who makes reading it more enjoyable. Most of it is about Muhammad Ali(My Favourite) which is a good read, then a good bit about leonard and a decent bit on george foreman. The start is about the man himself which is interesting. So if you've ever wondered what he and other trainers say to their fighters when in trouble, this is the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lllllllllllllets get ready to ruuuuuuuuuumble..., 10 July 2012
Hi All...

I must start by letting you know that this is the first book review that I've ever written... That's how much I enjoyed this book...!!

I've read more boxing books than `Big' George Foreman's had hot dinners (well maybe not quite that many but, you get my drift), and this one is right up there with my all time favorite 'Dark Trade, Lost In Boxing'.

The warmth and honesty of the legendary Angelo Dundee simply jumps off the pages and gives you a great big man hug.

His explanations and insights into his given craft are a real eye openers. However, whilst explaining the importance of a fighter having a man in his corner that he can rely on to stand strong when the going gets tough, never does he over eggs his part. Always appreciative of the fact that he's only as good as the fella sat on the stool.

In spite of his self depreciating outlook, there's no doubt whatsoever that Angelo Dundee played a very significant part in the careers of genuine boxing royalty.

The part of this book I particularly enjoyed was Angelo's journey with `Big' George Foreman in his quest for the Heavyweight Championship of the world, at the ripe old age of 46...

Buy this book, you won't regret it...!!

Thanks for reading,
Franco

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good book, 29 Aug 2011
This review is from: My View from the Corner: A Life in Boxing (Paperback)
Not a bad book at all. Angelo Dundee puts together a great many stories into this one book, It can be a little scatterbrained at times but its pretty easy reading and light hearted. Its not going to change your life and there are better boxing auto biographies out there - Ferdie Pacecho's and Teddy Atlas' to name but 2. This is one level down but there is a lot worse

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read., 12 Aug 2013
This is the best book on boxing I have read, the way angelo dundee describes the fights you feel like your in the ring yourself. Can't rate it highly enough. Five star.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to put down, 22 Jun 2013
This review is from: My View from the Corner: A Life in Boxing (Paperback)
I read this after I read the biography of Muhammad Ali, and I wanted to know more about the people around him.

Angelo Dundee was with him almost at the very start, and certainly through all the most dynamic years of Ali's boxing career, so I thought he would be a good start. Written in a matter of fact, easy to read way. I found myself totally engrossed in this book, and it was interesting contrasting the different boxers that Angelo Dundee had trained in his life. The main guy who features is Ali, but there are also chapters on Sugar Ray Leonard and George Foreman.

Highly recommended if you have any kind of interest in boxing and Ali.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 Aug 2014
10/10

My View from the Corner: A Life in Boxing
My View from the Corner: A Life in Boxing by Bert Randolph Sugar (Paperback - 1 May 2009)
12.99