5.0 out of 5 stars =]
I completely disagree with the previous review! I could not be happier with this book. I'm doing A2 french and first of all, I think this book is really interesting because of all the weird things the French say! =] It makes you realise how stupid and random English idioms are too.
Published on 9 Nov 2010 by TallStephBear

1.0 out of 5 stars American English so be warned !
Again, for some strange reason, we have books offered on Amazon UK which are not Standard English and for expressions, this really is necessary ! Very annoying ! The cost of postage makes me wonder if it is worth sending back. DON'T PURCHASE if you are English ; the expressions are not equivalent.
Published on 7 Aug 2009 by fairlyquasi

5.0 out of 5 stars =], 9 Nov 2010
This review is from: 101 French Idioms with MP3 Disc (set 2): Enrich Your French Conversation with Colorful Everyday Sayings (101... Language Series) (Paperback)
I have no idea what the author of said review meant because under the idiom (written in french) there is the literal translation and then one (or more!) of the English (or Americain but I didn't think this was a problem at all) equivalent. For example < 'Ce n'est pas Perou' (It's not Peru) - It's nothing to write home about, it's no great fortune. >
Anyway, I also find it really useful for all of the 4 areas of learning a language as you see the little paragraph/dialogue explaining the idiom in French, then at the back is the translation in English and there are also recordings of these on the CD (which go very easily onto I-pod)...
Listening: you can listen and then read the translation to see how well you understood, or better, you can treat it like a dictation and write down what you hear (this makes you listen very carefully and tests spelling as well!)
Reading: read in French then compare understanding of translation
Writing: look at the English translation and put it back into French. This is actually quite easy because the vocab isn't too obscure.
Speaking: Record yourself on mobile or something and check your pronunciation against the recording.
So yeah, I think this is really useful and if you do the above you really remember the idiom =] My French teacher said that to get top grades you really need to include idiom so this is good for students =D

5.0 out of 5 stars i love this book. makes everyday frence easy and enjoyable, 21 Mar 2013
i recommend it. wish i had this when i was a school student. funny and useful. very approachable. it has helped me improve my spoken french, avec confidence...

4.0 out of 5 stars Good and fun but a bit short, 8 Jan 2013
I bought this book as a present for a friend who had a reasonable knowledge of French and I thought he would enjoy the fun side of it. I was right ! I would recommend this book to anyone who already has a sound knowledge of French and would appreciate the facetiousness of the language. I knew all the idioms except one and I am French born ! I would have welcomed twice as many entries though !

4.0 out of 5 stars annisib, 23 July 2012
I bought this book of idioms for a family who are going to live in France for a few years. It is quite advanced, so probably at least a GCSE standard is required to be able to grasp them. But they are amusingly presented, with translations of literal meaning, so quite amusing.

1.0 out of 5 stars American English so be warned !, 7 Aug 2009

ARRAY(0xab9d9774)

7.99
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available