on 31 October 2013
I really like this book. I'm studying for the SE7 Java Associate exam and this book is great. It's really easy to read, the examples are clearly laid out, and the little exercises at the end of each chapter are a great way to test yourself. I had bought the HeadFirst Java book before this but I found the writing style a bit confusing, it just seemed to ramble on a bit. I had also tried teaching myself from tutorials on websites, but I always gave up on them. I did have a tiny bit of Java knowledge before starting this book but it was only basic stuff so this beginner's book is perfect for me (although do think it might be a bit difficult for someone who is completely new to programming, but not impossible). Anyway it's a great book and I think if you're wanting to learn Java you should definitely buy it.
on 20 October 2012
Best Java introduction out there. Simple. Caters for all needs and levels of Java expertise. It can be read cover to cover or simply for reference. Well-informed and logical writing.
on 12 March 2014
I read this to reinforce what I'd learned through "Head First: Java". It's a much more grown up writing style (the Head First book has great content but I soon get weary of the playful writing style) and covers a lot of ground. The examples are easy to understand and focused on the points just mentioned in the text. It does not shy away from some of the more complex topics not mentioned in other books, such as heap, stack, references/primitives and generics. I'd a previous C and C++ background and found this book easy to digest (even though it's reasonably long).
on 21 June 2013
One thing I noticed about this book - which isn't a drawback - is how it focuses on teaching how Java works instead of making a variety of random programs before any essential concepts are covered. It goes through everything you need to know about Java so that you have a good understanding of how everything works before going on to making your own programs. This approach makes it a good book to start with and eventually progress onto another book that is more to do with program design.
on 17 August 2013
for someone like me who wanted to get back into Java and see what the language has introduced in recent years.
It has been good to go over again what the base language can do in these days of large framework solutions.
Over the years I have read a number of Mr Schildt's books and always got something out of all of them.
It does not get 5 stars because on the kindle the typeface used for the code in some places makes it a bit difficult to read.
on 10 September 2012
I wanted to go back to my programming days but with the latest software development tools and languages. This seemed like a good place to start. Bit more difficult than I first thought but the programming juices are flowing again. Good book for a starter.
on 19 July 2013
If you want to learn Java, and understand how to use it effectively, this is the best book I have yet seen.
on 23 May 2014
I was still confused by the basics until I found a forum on line. Once I had got started with Java this book proved to be the best I could find to help me progress.
So overall I thought there was not enough for the ab initio, bu tI would still recommend it.
on 18 May 2014
I found the structure of this guide really effective, it's been an excellent introduction to java programming and I would recommend to other programming beginners.
on 21 June 2013
For those who like to program, lots of smal and not example to try on the PC. The theory is very well explained.