5.0 out of 5 stars Proper exam in a box
Published on 30 April 2009 by Vitaly Kaminsky

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, however, it's full of errors.
This book is a must have for anyone wanting to sit the exam. However, there are plenty of errors, grammatical and in some cases code errors. The precision and quality of the book regresses with each chapter.
Published 15 months ago by M Behruzi

5.0 out of 5 stars Proper exam in a box, 30 April 2009
Vitaly Kaminsky (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: OCA Oracle Database 11g SQL Fundamentals I Exam Guide: Exam 1Z0-051 (Oracle Press) (Paperback)
Just passed the exam and have to say that 10+ years SQL day to day experience does not help at all, unless you read this book properly, as about 60% of exam questions are not real-life and you need to know the theory. This book covers all the questions and helps you with understanding of issues rather than memorising the code which will not help at the exam - you don't even get the time to analyse the questions and scripts properly - just get the keywords and jump to code to find the match.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, however, it's full of errors., 6 Sep 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful Preparation, 3 Mar 2012
Despite having nearly 20 years SQL experience, I bought this book after seeing some 'example questions' on the Internet which, frankly, scared me into believing the exam was going to be far harder than I was anticipating and it would betray my inexperience at later versions of SQL. Working through this book, I thought the example questions were so straightforward I could have managed without it. Buy this book if you're preparing for the OCP exams - better to waste a few quid on it than miss out by a couple of percentage points and have to pay for a re-test.

The book was sold second-hand - but you'd never have known it was anything but brand new. The very useful CD with a very useful dummy practice test on it. had a small scratch on it but it polished out and, after a few retries, worked fine.

3.0 out of 5 stars "Least convincing words: Not really", 25 Jun 2014
Although it introduces you to the paradigm of SQL book doesn't fully cover the exam. The Lab Questions is the minimum that you should know. Some questions on the exam will test your knowledge from at least 5 nested chapters in one question (not to scare you). This is a good book for an introduction . I'm not ashamed to say that I have failed my first exam spending at least 60h on the book but the self tests aren't really challenging(my AVG score was 87% ).
I have passed 051 today but this book was about 70% of a help. Search for other sources as an addition.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fit for purpose, but let down by basic spelling mistakes, 24 Mar 2014
I want to like this book because it contains all the information that you need to sit the 1Z0-051 exam laid out in an easily digestible manner; however, the lackluster copy-editing makes this very hard. Simple grammatical and spelling errors reoccur time and time again to the extent that it becomes annoying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book for purpose., 31 Jan 2013
Although an experienced SQL practitioner, I used this book to help me prepare and pass this exam .. though it was a few years ago now. It covers the exam topics thoroughly (possibly too much detail in a couple of places) though remember as it was printed some while ago you should check Oracle hasn't changed the topics slightly. As a bonus there is a CD with a sample exam (and another online but that can prove more difficult to use). It is of course possible this wont run on the latest versions of windows. I have seen others comment this book is full of mistakes ... I believe somewhat untrue but you may wish to check the errata on the publishers website. Of course you can get all the information yourself from Oracle's website; but it could be hard going without a guidance.

If you are not reasonably familiar with SQL you should probably get another learning orientated book to learn that first. And you should of course download at oracle database to practice on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Covered all the questions, 26 July 2008
Used the Oracle Press SQL Exam Guide (Ramklass/Watson) and DBA Exam Guide (Watson) to take the beta exams, you get about 200 questions in three hours for the beta exams, and you don't get the result for a few weeks. I'm pretty sure I passed though, the books covered every question.

1.0 out of 5 stars Missin CD, 27 May 2013
My book came without the CD!

This CD is important for me because there is a test emulator in It !!!

what should I do to get my CD?

4.0 out of 5 stars Not read it through yet, 27 Dec 2012
Looks Ok to me on first glance. It came recommended by my peers - so I guess it will be AOK ?