5.0 out of 5 stars It worked for me
Published on 28 Jan. 2009 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Useful book but shoddy Kindle conversion
Published on 26 Mar. 2012 by frogplate

5.0 out of 5 stars It worked for me, 28 Jan. 2009
This review is from: SCJP Sun Certified Programmer for Java 6 Study Guide (CX-310-065): Exam 310-065 (Hardcover)
The syllabus for the SCJP exam for Java 6 includes a huge amount of material, but this book covers the lot. The authors don't claim that it's a tutorial, and I must say that my own experience with other languages helped me a lot, but even so the authors do a great job of introducing their topics in a basic and simple way, then developing the discussion to a point where you are ready to tackle their sample exam questions (answers and explanations included) which will more than prepare you for the real exam. Apart from using Eclipse for writing code, this book was my only learning resource and I got 86% (pass mark 65%). Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars SCJP a great book, 14 Nov. 2009
Tomasz Trela (Kraków, Poland) - See all my reviews
The book is an excellent guide about Java. It covers all objectives of the SCJP exam. After reading this book and passing example axams from the book I have scored SCJP exam with 93%. I recommend this position for all trainees wanted to gain good results on the exam.

Best regards
Sun certified programmer
Tomasz Trela

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent study book, 11 Mar. 2009
Mr. GB Brown (Belgium) - See all my reviews
Has everything you need to pass the exam but beware of the only error I found on Pg. 583 (Using Maps) ((Dog)o).name == name is a reference comparison should read ((Dog)o).name.equals(name) to give the quiz answer.

2.0 out of 5 stars Useful book but shoddy Kindle conversion, 26 Mar. 2012
The quality of this book's conversion to the Kindle is really disappointing. Even a cursory proof-read would have quickly identified the numerous errors and formatting problems. For example text from previous paragraphs embedded in code samples, an earlier chunk of code repeated in the place of a class diagram, example code that is missing entirely, 'corrected' code that is identical to the faulty code it is supposed to fix, bulletted lists that have lost their formatting and so it goes on.

It's a pity, because the dead tree version of the book is very good, but the publisher of the Kindle edition has done a disservice to the authors and readers.

If you are familiar with the content then the Kindle version is a bargain as a revision aid as long as you keep your wits about you. If you are new to the material, buy the paper version.

1.0 out of 5 stars kindle version has many flaws, 4 Mar. 2012
I'm only a quarter of the way through this book on kindle and already I have noticed in several places the code examples are incorrect. Seems to repeat code from another section instead of the actual code. This is appalling for a book that is preparing you for an exam

The only thing that's helping me with this is that my employer gave me a hardback paper copy and I can use that to find out what the actual code should be. This works for me but only if I remember to look it up when I get home should I be studying on the train or when away from home.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great study guide but could be improved, 15 July 2009
I found this book thorough and the sample questions good. However, I did the 1.4 certification 5 years ago so am somewhat familiar with the subject matter and I found several mistakes in the information they give. My biggest frustration though has been where the authors have used concepts before they introduce them. Take Chapter 7, for example. It begins with Collections and then goes onto Generics. However, they constantly use Generics in the Collections examples, even though these have not yet been explained. They also use boxing before introducing it. There are 10 chapters, some of which are desperately long. It would be far more manageable in smaller chunks. That said though, it's still a very good book and I would definately recommend it, providing you keep your wits about you!

4.0 out of 5 stars I prepared for SCJP exam just with this book, 11 Aug. 2009
Mr. E. A. DARAMOLA (Aberdeen, UK) - See all my reviews
This book was highly instrumental to my success at the SCJP exam. I would not just recommend this book for only those preparing to take the SCJP exam but for those who are willing to grasp the fundamental knowledge of JAVA.
I must warn that the book is quite voluminous but it's quite helpful if you have got time to prepare for the exam

5.0 out of 5 stars It Does Exactly What It Says On The Tin, 19 July 2009
Mmethod "Matt" (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book is clear in its contents; a study guide for the Java 6 programmer exam, written by the developers of the exam itself. It makes no promises about teaching you to become a Java guru after reading but I can assure you that you will learn things about Java that you didn't know before and subsequently improve your programming skills. Each section of the book covers the certification objectives entirely, there are lots of examples, lots of questions and the little anecdotes actually make the book fun to read. This book, without question helped my pass my exam.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a learning book, 5 Jan. 2013
A. J. G. Linssen (Amsterdam, The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
Yes, I agree, this books covers all the topics of the exam, however, this book is not suitable if you are new to Java and you want to learn it. Chapter one starts with a lot of concepts (declaring an interface, abstract classes, protected access) that are totally irrelevant if are new to Java and you just want to get "hello world" on your screen. Chapter two jumps into concepts like overloading, overriding and encapsulation with a lot of text and details, but if you read about these subjects the first time Chapter two of this book will only frustrate you. The book cover says "study guide" but that refers to the exam, not to Java itself. If you want to learn Java there are way better books. "Head first java" (Sierra and Bates) , and "Java, how to program" (Deitel) are nicer, better and these books take you by the hand and after a while you will have learned all the topics that are in this SCJP study guide. My advise: if you are totally new to Java and the object oriented paradigm, start with "Head First Java", if you are familiar with the concept of object oriented programming, and you have some programming experience, "Java, how to program" might be the best choice.
The question remains, is this book needed for the exam? I would say "unfortunately yes", and the main reason is that the exam is full of tedious questions about declarations, arrays and all kind of syntactical issues. This book prepares you for just that. But believe me, after the exam this book has no more reason for its existence other then selling it to someone else.
So, it's not book to learn Java, it's not even a reference guide, it's just a book about all the exam topics.
Oh, and one thing. Programing concepts don't need this much text. The concepts itself, as you will discover or already know, are pretty simple. It is the combination of all these concepts that makes it hard to be a good java programmer. I wish this guide only had some bullet points and test exam questions and maybe a bit of text. In that case it would have been at least 300 pages thinner and more aimed at its purpose: to pass the exam.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written and even funny, 11 April 2012
Having just passed my SCJP (OCP now) I can write a review. This book is great. I have both the kindle version and the hardback version. I agree with the comments about the fact that the kindle version does not have it's formatting correct (the most annoying thing is the code segments are difficult to read). It is still use-able and for the £4 I paid for it I was quite happy to have something a bit lighter to refer to (on a train for example). It is also much more readable than the pdfs on the CD. However I did most of my work using the real hardback book and I would want to rely on just the kindle version (you wouldn't get the CD with the kindle version).

The book is split into chapters covering different objectives, end with a summary, a 2 minute drill (which normally take 5 minutes) and then a test on the subject. The answers are then explained in detail so that you learn when you get questions wrong. The book has little exam watch tips and also on the job advice which are useful.

The general tone of the book tries to keep you interested and there are a few jokes dropped in which I appreciated at least.

Note that some topics covered are no longer needed for the OCP ( I think serialization is gone but it's useful to know).

The CD with the book contains some exams to do which are good as they give you an idea of the format of the exam.I found the question in this book and the accompanying practice exam book (which is recommended) were both more difficult than the real exam. The cd also contains pdfs of the book and (confusingly) some stuff needed for SCJD.

What would I like to see that it perhaps missed, is maybe a summary of the API that you should know for the exam. It tends to be dotted around the book so there's no one list to know. Even without this, this book is a no brainer to buy if you want to pass.

Good luck.