5.0 out of 5 stars A 15+ Year Wait For An Answer - Here It Is
For over 15 years I have struggled with my weight despite leading a very active lifestyle - my boyfriend and I go the gym 6 times a week and have activity based hobbies. We ate what most people consider a "low fat" diet and carefully read labels. He is a triathlete but managed to put on 10kg over 3 years.

We were stumped. We took on personal trainers and...
Published on 1 Dec 2009 by R. E. Riley

Published on 26 Jan 2010 by Sarah Mary

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A 15+ Year Wait For An Answer - Here It Is, 1 Dec 2009
This review is from: The Insulin-Resistance Diet--Revised and Updated: How to Turn Off Your Body's Fat-Making Machine (Paperback)

We were stumped. We took on personal trainers and nutritionalists. We did the "little but often" diet, we increased fruit and vegetables... everything that the experts said. But nothing shifted. Our experts thought we must be 'cheating' or secretly eating things not on their programs. Believe me, we followed every scrap of advice.

In September, after a year of effort and only a 2kg weight loss, I decided to see a doctor because there had to be something wrong hormonally. I thought it was perhaps my thyroid.

The doctor did a Glucose Tolerence Test (takes about 3 hrs after a 12 hr fast) and discovered that my body was over-producing insulin. In fact, everything I was eating or drinking was being turned into fat and not feeding my muscles at all. My body was in a fat-making cycle that only medication and special diet can fix.

I'm now on drugs to help my cells accept glucose but, more importantly, I follow this diet. And so does my boyfriend who is not insulin resistant or on the medication. Unlike any other 'diet' - we don't feel 'hungry' all the time because my blood sugar levels are stable. Nor do we get any cravings. We allow ourselves one day per month off the program to indulge in a piece of cake or whatever takes our fancy... but we are actually allowed this on the program anyway because you can eat pretty much anything you want within reason.

After 10 weeks on this diet, I have lost over 10kg and he has lost 9kg. I still have 10kg to go but he has only 2kg to reach his target.

Thanks to this diet, this insight, I now know it is possible to achieve it. For the first time I feel like I have my hands on the levers and controls that produce the right results.

5.0 out of 5 stars great information, 20 Jan 2012
I've enjoyed reading this book and have gained a lot of information, especially on ratio's of protein and carbohydrates in meals. It also helped me understand why I crave 'sweet' foods most of the time and how to avoid or help eliminate the feeling. Well worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE INSULIN rESISTANCE dIET, 30 Aug 2011
This is an excellent guide to weight loss based on sound scientific principles. Easy to read and practical. A weight loss must!

5.0 out of 5 stars eating for life, 1 July 2011
This book is simple, and as one of the other reviews points out could be a lot shorter and still have the main communication messages.

It's not a diet its a process to eat by. Loved that nothing is out of bounds and that the core concept is easy to pick up and follow. if you don't over do quantities, you rarely have to measure much ie one spoon of this and two spoons of that.

Did I loose weight, yes considerable amounts but then I am highly motivated and work out a fair bit. More so it stropped me triggering metformin so it has the result of teaching you how to eat.

Loved the simplicity and having read at least 4 cookier books, this is the one I most strongly recommend as non fad and that it actually works without being draconian (which the cookier books all are). more importantly I do beleive it's more balanced approach.

5.0 out of 5 stars the insulin-resistance Diet, 30 Aug 2009
P. Mazataud (London -uk) - See all my reviews
Quite a revelation. Now I understand where and how all the fat comes from. A nice mixture of proteins and carbs can work wonders, without the usual deprivation.
Also the importance of calcium through the dairy products which were originally forbidden to me, as well as the eggs.
It will take a few months for me to juge the results. However I am feeling much more better already by following all the pieces of advise given.Very revolutionary approach on the diet!!subject.
Patrice Mazataud - North London

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful for preventing over eating sugary stuff, 26 Aug 2010
This book has taught me some simple ways to eat and stay full. What I love the best is the four hour rule. since using it I eat healthy and have lost inches so am slimmer.

I reccommed this book to diabetics and anyone with insulin resistance

fab book

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book if it works, 11 Feb 2014
Quite a lot of reading. Would have been better without the waffle. Very "American" so none of the take away information is of any use but generally easy to understand

1.0 out of 5 stars Book that could be a fraction in length - Too much waffle - Nothing really new!, 26 Jan 2010
This book basically contains info on the ratio of carbs and protein that can help with weight loss for those who are insulin- resistant. The problem is that the simple advice is over-complicated and obscured by chapter upon chapter of waffle and bad science. Don't bother buying this, just make sure you eat a balance of lean meats, fruit, veg and complex carbs and cut out obvious junk from your diet. The Zone and other low gi books tell you this also without the bulking out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Well Written and Interesting Concept, 12 Sep 2012
Jessica Wilde (London) - See all my reviews
Whether the insulin resistant diet really works, I'm not sure - I'm not a scientist! However, this book certainly made me think more about the balance of food groups on my plate. It is clear that - for lots of people - reducing carbohydrate load in the diet enables weightloss, but whether the addition of protein successfully balances the carbs that we do consume is not clear. I would say that this book will help you to start a new lifestyle - it is not a faddy eating plan that is only manageable for a week or two - and I think that it will be helpful even for those not diagnosed with insulin resistance. I've discovered that I have more sustained energy, since following this lifestyle plan for a few weeks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 12 July 2014