5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent- just buy it!
I bought this book as a 'refresher course' to re-acquaint myself with French after leaving school with nothing more than a GCSE in the subject nearly 15 years ago. It is extremely thorough, and will steadily take you up to a level much higher than GCSE, and even includes some vocabulary lists in the process. It is an excellent supplement to any beginner or intermediate...
Published on 5 Mar 2009 by gerovic erotova

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Edition is very substandard
This book is VERY poorly kindled. In print it's a large format study workbook. The publisher did a direct copy to kindle. They couldn't fit the wide workbook pages onto a kindle screen so instead of reformatting text to match kindle page format they simply took images of very large chunks of text and shrunk them to fit onto a kindle page. About half the content is in...
Published on 11 Dec 2011 by M. Eve

4.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Edition, 21 Aug 2011
I've recently completed this workbook, all via Kindle. I won't bother reviewing the content as many others have done that: I'll just concentrate on the Kindle experience.

TEXT SIZE Anything on Kindle that needs to be in columns - like lists of vocab and meaning - is treated as an image and doesn't respond like normal text to increases in font size. However, you can use the clunky kindle nav button to click on these 'images' to enlarge them. 90% of the time I didn't need to but sometimes accents were unclear and then I did.

ANSWER KEY Flipping to the back of the book to look at answers was perfectly straightforward - you just set up a bookmark for the appropriate place in the answers and use the 'back' button to return to the main text.

GLOSSARY Only tried to use it once. Definitely a poor experience compared to paper but then I never persisted so maybe it's ok with practice.

WEAKNESSES The only thing that annoyed me was all those blank lines so you can write in your answers. Certainly not a reason not to buy it.

OVERALL I loved it and have since bought the other kindle versions of the Practice Makes Perfect French books.

5.0 out of 5 stars C'est bien, 13 May 2011
This review is from: Practice Makes Perfect: Complete French Grammar (Practice Makes Perfect Series) (Paperback)
I bought this as the parent of a 13 year old who seems to need a bit of extra grounding in French. It starts where I would expect it to start with the basics about verbs. The information is clearly set out and logically presented with useful self-testing exercises after each short section. For these reasons, in this context, I rate the book as 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars I should have found it earlier!, 23 April 2011
This book is very neatly organised, so that French grammar is explained step by step and made really easy to follow. Each section contains exercises which recycle the presented grammar. Ideal for anyone who wants to tidy up their knowledge of French grammar and generally for the type of learners who get their confidence in a language from having solid grammar foundations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for self-learners of French language !!!, 28 Jun 2010
I like this book because the grammar material is explained perfectly, not very complicated for begginer or intermidiate level students, but covers all necessary rules.
The book is full of grammar exercises with the answer key, which is very important for self-learners.
I advise this book evrybody who is interested in French language.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good practice!, 29 Dec 2009
Elie Kalfon - See all my reviews
I own Practice Makes Perfect along with Smart French and Collins, and I found that the combination was a good one: Easy Learning French (Collins Easy Learning Audio Course) makes you master useful basic sentences, while SmartFrench - Introduction to French, Vol.1 adds great tips on pronunciation to their brilliant explanations of the structure of the french language, and Practice Makes Perfect: Complete French Grammar (Practice Makes Perfect Series) teaches you with excellent exercises . All three are awesome together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Complete ''Delectable'' Grammar, 9 Oct 2010
Sreevatsa Kota (Hyderabad, India) - See all my reviews
If the truth be told, I've always had a soft spot for grammar. Even when at school, grammar was my strong suit. So, in that sense, I have never seen grammar as a 'bÍte noire', which is what, sadly, many people find it to be.

I love any book published by McGraw-Hill, full stop. And I adore Ms Annie Heminway for her books, and no mistake. So when both these greats came together to create the magic of ''Practice Makes Perfect- Complete French Grammar'', it was a foregone conclusion that it was going to enliven, enlighten and inspire even those that are most disinclined to learn grammar.

Grammar of any language is its spine. Grammar gives a language structure, stability and even beauty- gives its user the power to conquer the world!! With this being my firm belief, I knew at once the sort of gem this book was going to be when I had laid my eyes on it- thanks to Ms Heminway (I had had in my possession another jewel by Ms Heminway: 'French Demystified'). So I snaffled it: went ahead without a moment's delay and bought it on this fabulous website.

The book's layout and organisation of topics couldn't have been better and more appropriate. There's no surfeit of confounding and off-putting grammatical information. Each of the grammar topics are introduced with the student's attitude in mind. I strongly believe that a good teacher is one who can first fully understand the psyche of their student, and then, of course, be able to teach with the needs, strengths and weaknesses of that student in mind. Ms Heminway does just that. She clearly had assessed the nature of a general student of grammar of a foreign language thoroughly with such incredible depth and accuracy that no matter what the level of learning of the student, the book comes across as one which is highly productive and uncharacteristically fun (This is for those who might say, 'Since when has grammar been fun?' I'd say, 'Since the creation of this book.'). Ms Heminway has redefined the learning of grammar, not just French grammar, mind you.

The vast expanse of pages with eye-catching print and an unstinting supply of examples and exercises, to mention only some of the key, attractive features, set this grammar apart from any other. Another highpoint is the topical 'wealth' of vocabulary which is used in grammatical applications. So when you learn a new grammar concept, you also end up learning a new set of vocabulary, quite automatically!

I'm proud to own and treasure this book. Thank you Ms Heminway, McGraw-Hill and Amazon.

In the final analysis, this is what I have to say to the readers of this review: buy this book to prove your love of the French language, and, bonne chance!

5.0 out of 5 stars A comprehensive book of French grammar, 5 Jan 2012
In my opinion, this is the best book for the french beginner due to how comprehensive it is. It encompasses all the aspects of basic French grammar, introducing every tense needed, as well as all the important rules of French grammar. My mother is French, and running this book by her, she too was very impressed with the quality of the content. The book is filled with useful exercises too, with an answer key at the back.

I would definately reccommend this book (and the rest of the series for that matter) for any beginner wanting to learn French, as well as any former speaker who wants to brush up their French

5.0 out of 5 stars finally.............I understand!, 21 Nov 2009
I am in an intensive French course where the teacher will only speak in French. However, there are some things that you just can't "get" unless it is explianed in English. I really have found this book to be easy to understand and extremly helpful - well worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very handy Grammar book, 22 Nov 2010
I'm doing beginners French at the Open University. I did French decades ago at school and this is a very valuable book to use alongside the course.

It's structured rather like I was taught at school (eg by learning the conjugations of the various verb types whilst at the same time adding vocabulary). It has exercises on every other page to reinforce what you've just learnt.

I've only got four or five chapters in but I'm sure it will be a great companion to my coursework.

5.0 out of 5 stars Let's learn French, 11 Jun 2009
Excellent book possibly made from recycled paper BUT at an excellent price. Everything at your figertips the moment you need something. Extremely useful fot beginners and the more advanced.Practice Makes Perfect: Complete French Grammar (Practice Makes Perfect Series)

ARRAY(0xb13b69c0)

Practice Makes Perfect: Complete French Grammar (Practice Makes Perfect Series)
Used & New from: £1.09