5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for all parents!!!
There are some great insights and ideas in this book that really made me think about how I discipline my children. The section on anger management made me examine whether my impact made the behaviour of my children better or worse. A real eye opener!

There are also some really good tips on how to prevent the public (and private) tantrums and scenes that every...
Published on 25 Sep 2007 by Karen Rayfield

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed that Pantley advocates time-out as punishment
Published on 23 Mar 2009 by Synnøve Solbakken

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be required reading for anyone with kids!, 27 May 2013
I got this when my little guy was tiny, before discipline was even an issue, and I'm so glad I did. It changed the way I thought about parenting. My parents were excellent and very loving, but I was brought up in an era where if your child did something wrong, they got a verbal warning (which all too often meant nothing and carried little weight) and then a smack if the problem behavior persisted. I always thought that this was the soundest way to parent - until I had my own child. Then I just couldn't imagine smacking him, ever. You're told over and over again as a new mum to follow your instincts, and every instinct I have screams against hitting my child, or even yelling at him. When I started researching and reading about sleep issues I came across the No Cry Sleep Solution, and that was a total 'Aha!' moment. We're currently working our way through the potty training and discipline books and they're looking pretty dog eared by now! Elizabeth writes from her own experience with her kids and as a parent convinced that there had to be a better way than a reactively based parenting approach. She helps you understand WHY your child is doing what he/she is doing, and what you can do to address that effectively and even avoid these issues wherever possible. She also makes it clear that in many situations, whilst the fix may not be the 'instant' fix of a slap or a yell, it's a longterm, real solution that will better help strengthen the bond between parent and child and lay strong foundations for your child and your family. I love her down-to-earth, warm approach - it's clear that this is a book written by someone who is passionate about loving, proactive parenting and wants to share that information. And the best part is (which Elizabeth will tell you in every book), this isn't a one-size-fits-all 'course' - you just read through and pick out the solutions and approaches that will work for your family. You aren't required to follow the book step by step, or to adhere to a certain mindset in order to benefit from it, so it will work for anyone. This would make a great gift for new parents!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a really excellent series, 26 April 2013
I am a child psychologist and yet struggle with the same dilemmas everyone does with my own children! This book is full of patient, caring solutions to everyday difficulties that I find really useful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book. A thoughtful and balanced way to discipline children., 30 Mar 2010
K. S. Salisbury (UK) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent book if you are the type of parent who aims to reduce confrontation with your children whilst still wanting to maintain some kind of order in the parenting chaos! This book has enabled me to get a sense of perspective on the difficulties faced by parents of toddlers and to feel more confident in my parenting knowing I have the skills and belief in myself and my children to face whatever the day brings up. This is more than just a parenting book, I think it appeals to a particular philosophy in the views and beliefs you have about the way you want to interact with your children.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I ever read!!!, 16 Aug 2007
This review is from: The No-cry Discipline Solution (Pantley) (Paperback)
Words can't explain what I have to say about No- Cry Discipline Solution. I will however, try my best to do so. How can one person capture so many aspects of parenting and write them so eloquently in one book? Well, I can say that Elizabeth Pantley does just that. This book is amazing. It has touched me in so many ways. One of the best chapters in this book is the chapter on how to deal with your own anger and frustration. I have suffered through many situations with my three children, as we all do. I would beat myself up about some of the choices that I made in discipline...sometimes even cry about the choices I made. As parents we are constantly facing the dilemma of whether or not we did or are doing the right thing. Elizabeth managed to bring tears to my eyes when I read Staying Calm and Avoiding Anger. Yes, tears...tears of joy, because I finally felt that I wasn't alone in how I was feeling and that just because we get angry and frustrated it doesn't mean that we are a bad parent...just means we are humans with breaking points. This is just one of many chapters in the book that is great; each chapter in its own way is special because they truly help you. You are given a problem and then there is the solution. I have tried many of them with my kids and I am proud to say that they are working. Elizabeth Pantley in my eyes is an amazing and extraordinary person with the ability to make you feel like she is right there sitting in your living room walking you through what to do...move over Super Nanny. If anyone is struggling with what to do with any type of behavioral issues with their children, this is the book for you. I have read every one of Elizabeth Pantley's books and I love them all, but The No- Cry Discipline Solution is her best!!! My advice to all parents, go out as soon as you can and run to your nearest book store or log on to the internet and get a copy of this book. I promise once you get started you are not going to want to put it down.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed that Pantley advocates time-out as punishment, 23 Mar 2009
I loved "The No-Cry Sleep Solution" but was disappointed to see that Pantley advocates time-out in this book. Although she does have a lot of good insights into the child's motivation, and emphasises the importance of understanding how a situation feels for the child, her approach is behaviourist throughout. As I see time-out as a humiliating punishment with a purely behaviourist motivation, I don't feel that the "No-Cry" part of the title is warranted.

Nevertheless, if one can ignore the sections about time-out this book contains some good practical advice.

5.0 out of 5 stars so far, so good, 15 Feb 2011
I have not finished the book yet, probably have read half, but it's already helping me be a better parent! This book gives lots of tips and solutions on what to do when your child is difficult, but also advice on how to behave yourself. And there are lots of practical examples.
I would definitely recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars good tips, 29 July 2014
useful book some good tips

1.0 out of 5 stars Another Fabulous No-Cry Book!, 2 July 2013
I use this book both personally (as a mother) and professionally (as a parent coach). Elizabeth Pantley offers readers easy-to-use tools to address common behavior issues in a gentle, loving way. Pantley simplifies the complex job of parenting by offering practical techniques that effectively address behavior as well as strengthen the parent-child relationship.

This book not only has great tips and tools, but Pantley approaches the readers as she does her discipline strategies - in a gentle, nonjudgmental way. She speaks to the reader in a way that offers supportive advice and normalizes the challenges of parenthood. I highly recommend this book!

The No-cry Discipline Solution (Pantley)
The No-cry Discipline Solution (Pantley) by Elizabeth Pantley (Paperback - 25 April 2007)
Used & New from: £0.01