5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for anyone having to do anything with words
An absolutely fantastic source that will help you make a powerful impact whenever you try to impress someone in writing or speech. And I mean anyone!
Published on 7 Feb 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars Words that don't work on a kindle
Let me help you here before you make the same mistake I did:

Published on 24 April 2011 by Bob Cook

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for anyone having to do anything with words, 7 Feb 2001
By A Customer
Part of the book is focused on specific occasions and the most appropriate words to use but most of the content could come very handy in diverse situations. If you ever wondered where the advertising people get some of their ability to convince you from, then that's probably one of the answers. Each section of this excellent reference book has pages of suggestions for different phrasing. It is very well structured and it's easy to find what you're looking for. Keep it as a reference on your desk.
After you go through this book, you'll most probably never feel lost for words again!

2.0 out of 5 stars Words that don't work on a kindle, 24 April 2011
Let me help you here before you make the same mistake I did:

The book ****- ...a useful tool for those of us who spend most of our time on shall we say the less creative side of copywriting. Simply a copywriters thesaurus giving suggestions around a number of themes. Go to the paperback edition and look at the contents to see if you write copy fitting the sections, if you do then I think you'll find that the book helps you save time and works better than a general thesaurus. It could do with another update (a few more themes please), but even without one it can make changing the tone of copy very easy.

The kindle edition *---- ...(and the reason for the two stars) the main body of the book has been scanned in to the kindle edition so that each word is just over a millimeter tall on a kindle 3 (may be 1.1). Changes in the font size leave the scanned page at the same size. Some of the works are cut off and only partially scanned. You can still search the text, but this makes it impossible to use as a copywriters thesaurus because the words are far too small to take in at a glance (I'd love to be able to include an image here to demonstrate that I'm not exaggerating).

Do get the book, DON'T get the Kindle edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for Quick Reference, 24 Sep 2010
This review is from: Words that Sell, Revised and Expanded Edition: The Thesaurus to Help You Promote Your Products, Services, and Ideas (Paperback)
I recently retrained as a copywriter and out of all the books I have bought for reference and study purposes, this has to be one of the best. I offer copywriting as one of the services in a small web design business I part own and I can tell this book is going to be really well thumbed. A great addition to my office bookshelf, just wish I'd bought it sooner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Time-saver, 17 Feb 2010
You know what it's like trying to squeeze out another way to express yourself convincingly without repeating yourself or resorting to over-used cliches.
This is a wonderful, almost indispensable resource with thousands of proven effective words and phrases for your sales letters, website copy, mail advertising, (even personal letters, i suppose).
Even just reading it cover to cover will give you great ideas and breakthroughs.
It has saved me a lot of time and frustration, and has definitely paid for itself a hundred times over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 7 Jun 2014
I have used this in loads of sales letters now, and using it has made me a better copywriter and increased my conversions. I have also used it for email writing, product descriptions, and the way I talk in my life in general. An excellent thesaurus of highly persuasive words.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lives on my desk, 7 April 2008
Mrs. A. K. Rix "Kim Rix" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This book lives on my desk, not in the bookshelf. If I'm feeling uninspired, or just can't think of the right word to use, this book jump-starts my creative thinking. It's simply brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 4 Feb 2009
Marc Draco (Middlesbrough, England) - See all my reviews
I really don't have time or the inclination to say anything about this other than this:

If you're wondering if you should buy this, you're already too late. Stop dawdling and DO IT NOW.

You'll understand the meaning of that when it arrives.

4.0 out of 5 stars Please give it back, 27 Aug 2004
Sure, this book won't answer every issue. If you're writing for B2B, be prepared for clients to dislike words because they're too 'salesy'. Be prepared for account handlers to dislike words because they're 'too cheesy'. And nowadays, there are many phrases that can be used that don't appear in this volume.
Even so, it's an excellent resource that no agency should be without.
Unfortunately, that describes my own agency right now. Simply, this and 'Phrases that Sell' were half-inched by freelancers.
What better recommendation could there be?

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a no brainer - just buy it. If you don't like it I will buy you a beer!, 24 Oct 2009
A. Brown "Andy Brown" (UK) - See all my reviews
I can't fail to see how anyone wouldn't think was an excellent book to have by their side, for reference and brain storming ideas.

This is a marketer's dream.

Cheers

Andy

5.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE!!!, 23 Nov 2011
WOW IS ALL I CAN SAY!!! This book is an absolute bargain. Has given me tons and tons of ideas for titles on marketing products, services and anything to do with attracting the customers attention! Did the title for my short review make you read this?!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›