5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had had this 3 years ago!
I had the very good fortune to be given this book at a seminar given by a business coach.

I know he was hoping that his seminar, the book and the free consultation would all combine to make me hire his services.

Published on 24 Feb. 2011 by Mrs. L. LEWIS

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't let this book put you off business coaching
I worry that small business owners will be put off the idea of working with business coaches by this book that promises so much more than it delivers. It boils down to a long advertisement for his business coaching franchise ActionCoach.

Published 15 months ago by Paul Simister

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't let this book put you off business coaching, 2 Dec. 2013
Paul Simister (Birmingham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Business Coach: A Millionaire Entrepreneuer Reveals the 6 Critical Steps to Business Success (Instant Success Series) (Paperback)

The only Brad Sugars book I recommend is Instant Cashflow: Hundreds of Proven Strategies to Win Customers, Boost Margins and Take More Money Home (Instant Success). Unfortunately the Amazon review ratings are often distorted by undeclared associates.

I admit that I am a business coach but I am not and never have been an ActionCoach.

An even better place to start is E-myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It. Despite the poor writing style, it helps you to understand why small businesses often don't work as well as they could.

Understanding the problem is an essential part of finding the solution and, if you're a business owner, the problem may lie within how you think about your business.

Looking for help by reading business books or working with a coach can be a great source of inspiration when things are difficult. Please don't let a disappointing book like this put you off the idea of finding the help you need.

Paul Simister
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had had this 3 years ago!, 24 Feb. 2011
Mrs. L. LEWIS - See all my reviews

However that does not detract from the fact that this book is nothing short of brilliant if you are as completely clueless about running a business as I was.

Granted, as in one review I have just read, it introduces you to a lot of concepts without ever really developing them. My feeling is though that often most of us just need to be introduced to the concepts to get us on our way.

This book has given me a road map to the path I need to be on to achieve success. Yes I have used the internet to find out exactly how I calculate my break even figure, but it was this book that told me that that was one of the things I needed to be doing (I did say completely clueless).

This book is written in a clear and simple way that tells you the essentials of what needs to be done in an interesting, relatable way. It is the fact that it is simplified that makes it so fantastic because it makes the key steps involved in running a successful business seem like easy-to-do, baby steps that any idiot could manage.

I think a more exhaustive and in-depth book would daunt the business numpties like me. This book has given me the courage and the confidence to begin to take positive steps to improve my business, and I am finding out the more intricate details from other sources as I go along - following the road map this book has given me.

If you are looking for a one stop, do it all, MBA in a book then this is probably not the book for you. If, however, you are looking for an easy to read, inspirational book that will give you some invaluable pointers to get you going and get you really thinking about what you can do to make YOUR business succeed, then I cannot recommend it highly enough.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ssnooore, 26 Feb. 2006
By A Customer
doesnt tell you anything that would help you to grow a business but was a really good way to self promote the author.I read a lot of business books and i packed this one in after about an hour.

1.0 out of 5 stars better books around, 12 April 2009
This book is really disappointing, its a fictional story about a couple and how they can develop their baking business. The book gives vague suggestions about how to do it, but doesnt go into depth or detail about anything. I purchased "85 inspiring ways to market your small business" by Jackie Jarvis at the same time and that is a far better and more useful read.

1.0 out of 5 stars promissing but not delivering, 4 May 2007
Dave Loots - See all my reviews
If you start reading this book, you'll have high expectations.

Clearly Bradley J. Sugars is a man of the world. He knows his stuff and knows how to bring it in an interesting manner.

Problem is that every topic that is touched, doesn't get developed. Bradley brings topic after topic ( all very interesting ones too ) and starts explaining his stuff right up to the point where it starts to get interesting and then just moves on.

He is loud and clear in mentioning a ton of stuff but doesn't deliver. Just as one is getting ready to learn something about the topic mentioned, that's the end of it. Bradley surely knows a lot more about every point he is making but quits before wrapping it up.

As far as I am concerned, this whole book is a big add for his business coaches the world over. An add people even pay for!!

See, I told you Bradley was good.

Anyway, all topics mentioned are very interesting but need a whole lot more depth to make this book interesting.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Primer in "Business Coaching", 26 Dec. 2008
Nicholas J. R. Dougan "Nick Dougan" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I declare an interest. I am at the time of re-posting this review (January 2011), a business coach in the ActionCOACH network. When I wrote and posted it originally, over 2 years ago, I was not. I have not changed what I originally wrote, but I have added an additional paragraph at the end.

"Through the example of Joe and Nellie's "Mom & Pop" bakery business, Brad Sugars outlines what he means by business coaching, an industry he claims, not overly modestly, to have started back in 1993. Since Mr Sugars now heads global business coaching organisation "ActionCOACH", (his capitalisation!) and he seems to have hosts of competitors, there is no doubt that this coaching method must have worked for many businesses.

"Mr Sugars explains a little of the difference between business coaching and conventional management consulting in the FAQs section in an appendix at the end of the book. He implies that consulting is short-term, transaction-oriented: a company brings consultants in to "fix" a particular problem. Coaching, by contrast, is longer term (a minimum of one year), aimed at mentoring business owner/managers so that they learn how to identify and fix problems themselves, and keep them fixed. There is, I suspect, quite a lot of overlap in reality; indeed, Mr Sugars' appendix also explains that his coaches are prepared to write advertising copy and deliver staff training and I suspect that they may "roll up their sleeves" to address other tasks too (for additional fees, of course!). I don't doubt, however, that the coaching approach may be very useful to many a beleaguered small-business owner: as for the captain of the ship, command can be a lonely place to be, and unlike the captain of a ship many business owners have not had the benefits of working their way up from Midshipman, let alone Able Seaman.

"This book is probably designed to act as much as an advertisement for ActionCOACH as it is to answer too many questions in itself. Along with a plethora of other books (in the Instant Success series), DVDs, audio tapes, it also seems to be designed to be sold or given to clients of Action coaches to support their coaching programmes. While cynics might see this as self-serving, the specifics of any individual business would be quite different, and the basic message would soon be lost. There is a methodology here that might seem obvious to anyone who has been involved in the running of a small to medium sized business, but simplicity and rigour are probably the hallmarks of successful coaching.

"I read this book with a slightly sceptical eye but was pleasantly surprised. A small business owner would get something out of the book, even without any interaction with the Action organisation, although someone with the knowledge to fill in all the blanks and the self-discipline to do so would probably not need a coach, or this book, anyway. I like accountancy ratios that you can "deconstruct", so that a number of simple and easily measured ones, aka "KPIs" build up to explain an important but more complex. The most famous of these is probably the so called DuPont formula (Return of Equity = Profit Margin x Asset Turnover x Gearing). Brad Sugars is keen on model he calls the "Business Chassis" :

"Profit = Profit Margin x Average Sale Value x No. of Transactions per customer x Conversion Rate x Leads.

"Much of the book is devoted to how small business owners might work on one of these at a time to improve their profit over the course of a programme of a year or so. The rest deals with systemisation of a business so that the owners can step away from its day to day operation - spend their time working "on" the business rather than "in" it.

"This is quite a short book - although 214 pages (plus some annexes) it is printed in a large font and with lots of white space - wide spaces between lots of short paragraphs, lots of pages that are just chapter headings or précis. If you are a small business owner interested in picking up some ideas for improving your business, or if you are considering getting a business coach, whether from Action Coach or not, this book would be worth reading.

"I was left by one slightly nagging question at the end of the book, and that is whether Action coaches really encourage their clients to address them as "Coach", like in some American High School drama. I do hope that that bit was just a literary device!"

Two years on, do I have anything to add or that I'd like to change? Not much. The book is useful as a promotional tool for business coaches - I've had business owners approach me having read it. Lots of business books, of course, are written with that in mind, not just Brad Sugars' ones! (I've met business coaches who are not part of Action who use the books.) I'd add that this book is designed to give an overview of the "Six Steps" model for analysing a business and systemising its improvements. As others have pointed out, this book is only an overview of the system - there is a great deal more material from the ActionCOACH system in Sugars' other books, and I've decided that I will review those, too, and tell interested readers what they offer.

I can say from personal experience, having discussed it with scores of business owners, that it is a simple but very effective approach. It works. It can lead to profound insights into what is holding a business back - but that requires you to have the knowledge to ask the right questions. This leads me to add a further caveat about the book. As well as being an overview of ActionCOACH methodologies, this book gives an insight into the approach of business coaching, but in this respect it is a bit simplistic. There are space constraints, of course, but the coach in the story doesn't ask enough questions and is rather more directive than would usually be the case in reality. To understand the coaching part better, read Miles DowneyEffective Coaching: Lessons from the Coach's Coach: Lessons from the Coaches' Coach or Sir John WhitmoreCoaching for Performance: GROWing Human Potential and Purpose - the Principles and Practice of Coaching and Leadership (4th Edition) (People Skills for Professionals).

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 31 July 2014
Interesting account of how working with a coach can help to grow a business

1.0 out of 5 stars Embarisingly poor, 29 Sept. 2009
A. Bell - See all my reviews
This whole CD set is carried out as a "play", trying to use as example. It doesn't work, I'd be too embarrased to try and coach my staff with this.
It's off to the bin for this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical, accessible and useful, 23 Oct. 2011
One of the immense "instant success" series. But read this one and you'll have got the idea.

There is some really practical stuff in here, some of which I still use.

5.0 out of 5 stars I give every coaching client this book to get them started, 12 Mar. 2013
This is a great story of how a business coach can help a small, medium sized business. It's a must for anyone starting out with a coach for the first time