5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
Short and wonderful overview of the field of computer science. Clearly structured and easy to read, starting with a very useful and interesting chapter on algorithms.
Published on 25 Aug 2010 by A reader

2.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading but beware, it's riddled with mistakes.
I did not study Computer Science at university and so this book gave me a broad insight into the kind of knowledge I'd have gained had I done so. On the most part, it's an easy read. The programme of topics are well chosen and I am glad that I have covered them.

Published 5 months ago by John Walker

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 25 Aug 2010
This review is from: Schaum's Outline of Principles of Computer Science (Schaum's Outline Series) (Paperback)

2.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading but beware, it's riddled with mistakes., 26 Jun 2014

However, I would only recommend this book to others for as long as I am unable to find an alternative book that covers the same subjects.

I gave this a low Amazon Review score because I get the impression that the publishers of this book (McGraw-Hill) have been resting on their laurels since it's first publication and needed a kick up the backside.

I don't think anyone at McGraw-Hill has actually read it. Nor, it seems have the authors read it all the way through. Some parts of the book are very sloppy. It feels like no one in charge of this book really cares about it any more.

I am glad that I had read around many of the subjects enough to be able to spot some errors but am left wondering how much misinformation I have absorbed in the areas that were new to me. The fact that the book's cover states that it is 'trusted by more than 40 million students' worries me. Hopefully they have the support of their peers and teachers when they get confused by some of the typos.

4.0 out of 5 stars Too much depth for A-level, but well written., 9 Jan 2014
Still working my way through this book. Initial impact - well written and comprehensive. Maybe more comprehensive than I need for A-level.

Schaum's Outline of Principles of Computer Science (Schaum's Outline Series)