5.0 out of 5 stars A gentle, loving, way to solve your child's sleep issues
Our 15 month old son has had difficulty sleeping since infancy. He suffered from acid reflux, regular runny noses and ear infections for several months as a baby and this had an impact on his ability to sleep well. He would scream when laid down in his cot and although he would quieten when lifted, he would then fight sleep for hours until he was so overtired, it was even...
Published on 2 Aug 2005 by FHadden

3.0 out of 5 stars An Interesting Book, but didn't work
My 3 year old grandson stays overnight once a week and will not stay in his own bed all night. I settle him down with a gentle story and a cuddle and let him know that I will be in the room until he sleeps. I have to stay otherwise he just screams. When he has fallen asleep I leave. He wakes anytime from midnight onwards (usually about 2.30 am) and cries until I come...
Published 23 months ago by AngelLotus

5.0 out of 5 stars Really helped us, 23 Nov 2013
A. Fattori - See all my reviews
This review is from: The No-Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers and Preschoolers: Gentle Ways to Stop Bedtime Battles and Improve Your Child's Sleep (Pantley) (Paperback)
This book really helped us finally get our 2 year old to be in a proper go to bed routine and stay in her bed (almost) every night. There is no secret formula or big revelation but the methods outlined helped us to re-examine the habits we had fallen into and develop a new approach that in a couple of weeks gave us our evenings back!

5.0 out of 5 stars It worked for us!, 11 Jan 2013
I bought this book as my three 1/2 year old was throwing dreadful tantrums about going to bed and taking a very long time to settle and fall asleep. we have recently moved house and he got out of his usual routine. He had also begun to drop his daytime nap, his nursery did not put him down for naps. Reading this book helped me to understand sleep in young children and how sleep patterns change. I had thought my son was throwing tantrums becuase he wasnt tired and didnt want to go to bed but after reading this book I realised that the opposite was true, my son was over tired and has a tendancy to get very hyperactive when he feels like this. The solution for us was a longer bedtime routine that starts earlier, audio-books in the evneing istead of TV and encouraging him to nap or rest early afternoon. This book does not offer one solution for every child/family so I'd recommend reading the whole book rather than dipping in and out. It also made me feel better about the lack of success we have had with 'cry it out' approaches, which for us seemed to make things worse. Our son still needs us with him when he is falling asleep but now I am confident that this is normal for a child of his age and we are all happier knowing that he will fall asleep calmly and quickly.

4.0 out of 5 stars good advice, 20 Jun 2013
some helpful tips, and great gentle ethos. My 2nd copy as my first copy wore out from being borrowed so much by friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great help!, 16 Dec 2010
We bought this book out of desperation. Our son is almost 1 and a half years old and still doesn't sleep through the night. We have tried ever single method, including letting him cry to sleep.
Reading this book, we have come to realize that his waking up at night is cause by something physical and not lack of sleep training, now we are seeking medical advice.
Basically this book is enlightening, it has opened our eyes.
If you are struggling with your child's sleep, I definitely recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful for normal toddlers too, 9 Sep 2006
This book worked for me. It made me realise that the difficulty my daughter had falling to sleep was perfectly normal. Rather than trying to fix something that is not broken, I've decided to appreciate the time with her.

This book is like a good friend. It is reassuring when you start to wonder if you are doing the right thing and it reminds you that the most important thing is that children grow up fast.

4.0 out of 5 stars very informative, good read, reassuring, 8 Jun 2009
Mr. M. Kanwal "manj_lynn" (England) - See all my reviews
This book, while it hasn't solved all our sleep issues, has provided a ton of reassurance about our toddler's sleep habits. It's nice to hear some of the reasons for disrupted sleep and it gives practical advice about how to change things. it was so nice to read - "if it works for you than don't fix it". Such a gentle approach that we see working (slowly but surely) and that fits with our parenting style and with our family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Elizabeth Pantley - heaven sent!, 14 Jan 2013
E Goodden (Cardiff UK) - See all my reviews
I bought the first NCSS when my son was about 4 months old and was only sleeping in 1 hour bursts. TBH i didn't ever manage to put any of the strategies into place - or at least didn't find them that helpful.
14 months later still and I was on my knees with tiredness - knew I didn't want to try any "sleep training" but just needed something to help me out of the sleep deprivation hole in which my boy was still waking up between 6 and 12 times a night.

This version of the NCSS is longer than the original - it's just packed full of great ideas which you chose from.
I found the chapter on night weaning, and specifically the section on the ambivalence about deciding to night wean or not, especially helpful.
Other useful ideas included making a short story book to help explain that "milkies goes night nights" and just loads of other great ideas that are an extension from the original.

At 19 months my boy is now able to sleep 4-5 hour stretches which I am fine with - it means only 1 wake up a night - and all this with ZERO tears! Phew!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing - so many ideas, 26 April 2013
Seems to cover all options from co-sleepers to children in their own room. When i stuck with the suggestions it worked, when i was a bit lazy things slipped. Great if like me you don't think children should be left to cry.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book to skip through for me, 24 Jun 2014
L. Gribble "Louise G" (Isle of Man) - See all my reviews
I think this book is a bit wordy - especially for a sleep deprived family that want something a bit more easy to digest (Teach Yourself Baby Sleep is good for this but I don't think they print it any more). Having said that, I picked up a few tips for my 2 year old by skipping through it. It is not a quick fix as you need to keep trying the same routine for a while to make sure it works, however if you can't stand to hear your little one cry or have tried "crying it out" then this may be the book for you. If I'd known about it with my first child I think I would have read it cover to cover but eventually I did find Teach Yourself Baby Sleep and that was great. They are all individuals and my 2nd daughter didn't seem to "fit" TYBS book hence why I bought the no cry sleep solution. It goes to show that there isn't a one fits all so go but be prepared for a long read

2.0 out of 5 stars was anticpating more, 18 Mar 2014
this book didnt tell me anything new, was expecting better, after reading the reviews. perhaps my child just doesnt need sleep