5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent vocabulary booster !!!
Published on 7 Mar 2010 by Shoaib Ahmed Malik

3.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, yet...
Published 22 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent vocabulary booster !!!, 7 Mar 2010
Shoaib Ahmed Malik (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 1500 Words in 15 Minutes a Day: Your Week-by-week Plan to a Perfect Vocabulary (Paperback)
My intention with this book was to increase my vocabulary for writing stories professionally. It indeed boasts a wide range of words that I have never even seen or heard of before. The book has been divided to describe certain things such as: music, art, philosophy and so much more. Additionally, each word has been exemplified in a sentence to show its meaning. The only complaint is that it does not have any words to specially describe landscapes, which I believe to be a very important class. Regardless, it is an extremely useful to have under your belt for a stronger vocabulary backbone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Word Play, 24 April 2010
Excellent. Teaches and explains and help you build your grammar and vocabulary bit by bit without having to take the dictionary in hand.

5.0 out of 5 stars recommended, 7 Jun 2012
I found this book extremely easy to work with. I am going to teach English in China and thought it would be a good idea to work on my own English in all areas as I intend to work my way up so I can go teach in colleges. My English has somewhat withered since I left school. This book, along with several others, has helped my improve my all-round vocabulary and put me in better stead for when I get to teach people overseas :)

3.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, yet..., 12 Nov 2012
I've started using this lately and I have to say it was not exactly what I was expecting. When I was previewing different books on the types of words they'd be useful in learning - i.e. categories - I assumed this would be handy. What started me on this trend is Word Power Made Easy. And that's what I'm basing my comparison of this book. I was hoping to have another book to expand my vocabulary which has deteriorated as of late.

So based on that, 'Word Power...' was a book that exposed the reader to new words, all based on a similar theme and sharing commonalities. It had explanations not just of the words introduced, but its origin, more specifically of its root word and how it is derived. So it teaches you the meaning of the latin or greek, roots, suffixes and prefixes. This gave you the etymological essence of words which helped you divine meanings of words not in the book but based on these ubiquitous roots, maybe even create your own valid words. Plus it showcased how the words are divided into syllables and pronounciation. And there were comparatively more exercises than 1500 words in 15 minutes offers. And all of that helped to firmly plant the words, the meanings and various nuances in mind. Some of which I recall almost perfectly even today and it's been nearly 10-12 years since I'd read it.

The book is useful if one applies themselves outside of the required page a day it proposes, or the 15 minutes. Within the same section, between the different pages, I've noticed that words learned previously are indeed tied into the meaning of the words in further pages. It is tenuous until you start noticing it and working those words into the practice daily.

Granted I've only progressed somewhat through the first several lessons only. I wouldn't dismiss the book completely given that hard work is required in all endeavors. And it is a rich source of words and knowledge in its own right. Ideally as additional learning to the one I prefer.

2.0 out of 5 stars Blah! Blah! Blah?, 9 Feb 2010
This book was unbileivably hard to understand. I bought this book prior an exam my son was about to sit to improve his vocabulary and hopefully use some of the words in the essay part of the examination however the book was NO USE AT ALL!

I barely new 3 words in the book and I am sure that it would take my son an age to memorise all the 'scientific nosense' in the book.

Plus, the book creates major hassle when it says '15 minutes a day'.

Verdict: DO NOT buy this useless book if your child is under 12. If he's not then it might be worth flipping through the book if you are really keen. Otherwise; No!

1500 Words in 15 Minutes a Day: Your Week-by-week Plan to a Perfect Vocabulary