5.0 out of 5 stars Stitch and glue inspiration, 6 Jun 2009
Yngve Ellingsen (Son, Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stitch-and-Glue Boatbuilding: How to Build Kayaks and Other Small Boats (Paperback)
If your looking for inspiration for a stitch-and-glue project, look no further. The founder of Chesapeake Light Craft gives a great insight into the variety of crafts you can build using stitch-and-glue. Several kayaks, a sailing skiff, a rowing shell and a sailing rig with outriggers for kayaks are among the things you'll find here. Kulczycki even delves deep into the manufacturing of plywood, and shares a huge amount of knowledge and experience that will come in handy whatever you're going to build. The book contains downsized plans, but even the experienced builder might find it a challenge to build crafts from these. The plans do, however, offer some hint at what you're getting into if you've never built anything using stitch-and-glue. This book is a must for anyone who wants to explore the possibilities of stich-and-glue, and will be an inspiration to those who are already experienced builders.

5.0 out of 5 stars Build a seakayak, 3 Oct 2009
A fantastic book about "how to do it". I bought this book mainly for the plans but the instructions are great for both beginner and more experienced boat builder.

I am looking forward to making a fast touring seakayak for next year's trips.

The detail offered is more than adequate to make a good, attractive, seaworthy boat. Techniques for getting that wonderful depth of gloss and show the wood grain and pattern are very thorough.

Plenty of designs from 13ft to 18ft, single, double and even triple kayaks. Also a skiff and Oxford shell for the rower. Sailing rigs and outriggers are covered in good detail too.

If you fancy building your own boat get this great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small Boat building., 15 July 2011
I am half way through building my first small boat from this book. I have read the book from cover to cover and the way it is written is wonderful. Keep re reading parts as I go along. The boats in the book are all very good and a couple Absolutely Excellent. I am building the Mouse boat to be taken around on the car and I am already looking to building my next boat but I keep changing my mind as to which one as they are all such attractive ideas. Ors? Paddle? Sail? Outboard? Too much to choose from. The Book Could Not Be Any Better! I love it. I am 63, can not swim (I sink) and have always wanted to get afloat and this book offers unsinkable boats. What more could I ask for.

5.0 out of 5 stars boat building, 2 July 2014
useful for boat building

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little book, 10 Jan 2014
Love this book, has plenty of info for newby boat builders of small boats.
Bought this for someone who can work with wood to give them some new ideas.
They love it and found the plans inside easy to understand.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 8 Mar 2013
But don't run away with the idea that complete plans are given for all the boats mentioned; you hav some work to do. I do not think I'd have readily made any of these had I not already done two canoes from "full" plans.

That aside, it is an excellent book on stitch and tape building, and if you're experienced, or just a bit better than me, you'll be able to suss out the plans, I'm sure. I probably wish I'd read this first, but I' still have built the boat I did.

Stitch-and-Glue Boatbuilding: How to Build Kayaks and Other Small Boats