on 3 October 2007
I am enjoying this book and finding it very helpful, but think it would be pretty scary for a complete beginner to start with. Often the reader is required to give opposites of words which are not in the text being studied, and often there are words which need to be understood in order to answer the questions, but there is no translation given. I think this is frustrating for the reader. Surely the point of a graded reader is that the student doesn't have to keep reaching for a dictionary, thus breaking the flow of the reading and learning? I am managing by ignoring the words I don't know in order to keep the flow going, as I imagine I'll pick them up at some other stage along the way. Good for very confident post-beginners or pre-intermediates onwards.
0Comment60 of 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 April 2012
Overall the texts are powerfully dull. They will take you back to your school days of being required to summon up interest in fictional teenagers and their sports and hobbies. You will have to look up the meanings of several words if you are a beginner (correct me if I am wrong but this is supposed to be an 'easy reader') and yet words whose meaning is obvious are glossed for your convenience on the facing page. In exercise six for example, the word for 'it' is glossed but the words for 'gymnasium' and 'smiling' are not. Also, it is of debatable worth to introduce such phrases as 'slightly distorted chin' this early on in a basic reading book!

It is the only book of its sort I can find (at this level) and therefore I can't recommend an alternative. This is all the book has going for it.
on 31 August 2007
This book is brilliant! I have just completed entry level business italian and my italian is so basic it is almost non-existent. I actually understood most of the first three exercises immediately. I would recommend keeping a dictionary by your side.
0Comment34 of 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 November 2010
This is just the sort of book needed by absolute beginners. It introduces elementary Italian stage by stage and revises the crucial matter without being tedious. Crossword puzzles are included and the leverage to more advanced Italian is within gradual reach. Definitely recommended.

Easy Italian Reader:Riccarda Saggese
on 16 May 2010
Having taken up Italain again after many years, I thought I waould like to read something. This book was ideal, simply written, but not condescending, and also inoformative. Comprehension of the section about Italian history is aided by the fact that many of the subjects are very well-known, so we are reading something familiar, but in another language. The glossary is excellent as it gives the definite article of each noun, rather than the gender, so we are reminded that sport is lo rather than il.
on 13 October 2010
Really pleased with this book. Starts with short paragraphs so it's not too daunting, then there are a couple of little 'tests' so you can gage how you're doing but again, not so difficult that they make you want to throw the book away!! Can certainly recommend for anyone learning Italian.
on 22 December 2010
When I started using this book I knew no Italian, but I could still work my way through the first two chapters. I do agree with the earlier comment, though, about the exercises being too difficult, particularly the antonyms. After a few months's study I still don't have a large enough vocabulary to do them.

I'm an adult, and teaching mysefl, so I do find the early parts a bit tedious, but teenagers would probably be able to relate to them better. I have to make up my own exercises when it comes to describing my school and my teachers.

It is pretty obvious which grammar points are being introduced with each chapter, so it's easy enough to look them up in a grammar to get an explanation.
on 27 February 2011
The book is fantastic for everyone who has learned the elementary rules in Italian and finds it important to start gaining confidence and independence in using Italian. Greatly designed to include both every day conversations, historical facts about Rome and some initial book readings. Incredibly useful and great fun to work with.
on 30 January 2010
As a beginner trying to teach myself a little Italian with a view to holidays in Italy, I had learnt some of the basics from CDs , but wanted to learn the written language as well . I found this little book most helpful , and feel I am now making some progress . You will of course need a dictionary as well , but if you are trying to learn a language you will need one anyway . This does just what it says on the box , - Recommended .
on 11 June 2011
I got this because I thought I had learnt enough Italian but it is harder than I thought so I have to go at it slowly and still keep learning from teach yourself books. Now though the language is no longer a jumble of words, I can pick some out!