4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect but not bad
I bought this book because I wanted to understand more about electricity. For example, what is the difference between AC and DC? What is 3 phase supply? What is the relationship between voltage and current?

Published on 8 July 2009 by flapjack

3.0 out of 5 stars struggling for enlightenment!
Published on 23 May 2011 by Vanda Playlist

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect but not bad, 8 July 2009
This review is from: Electricity Demystified: A Self-teaching Guide (Paperback)

The book wasn't perfect but I did achieve my aims. There is a 10 question test at the end of each chapter and a 40 question test at the end of each of the three major sections. These really helped to identify what I hadn't understood properly so I could go back over the relevant sections.

Why only 4 stars? Several reasons:
1. I felt that it assumed knowledge about certain things that I would have preferred it to explain. I ended up looking a couple of things up on the internet before trying to continue with the book.
2. There are a few areas where I would have liked much more detail, for example the purpose of grounding in electrical circuits.
3. The book is aimed at an American audience so the references to the shape and function of terminals in domestic sockets are not very useful.
4. The last third of the book is devoted to the subject of magnetism which I found largely irrelevant.

Overall, I managed to get a lot of what I wanted out of the book so, given its low price, I'll give it 4 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars struggling for enlightenment!, 23 May 2011
Vanda Playlist (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Electricity Demystified: A Self-teaching Guide (Paperback)
I bought this book for my husband who is doing an electricians course at college. He needed something easy to dip into and understand because he is starting from the beginning. He was a bit disappointed that the book appeared very "americanised" and not as easy to understand as he would have liked. He thinks he may have been better with an electicity for dummies type of book. That said as he has progressed with his course he is finding the book easier to dip into, but it may have been better for the book to have really been written with the complete beginner in mind.

4.0 out of 5 stars BIG HELP, 18 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Electricity Demystified: A Self-teaching Guide (Paperback)
This book has been a big help. I am taking a level 2 and level 3 electrician course and this book has helped me understand everything i couldn't in the City & Guilds Units. It's a blessing lol. I guess it's just the different way the author sees things.

Electricity Demystified: A Self-teaching Guide
Electricity Demystified: A Self-teaching Guide by Stan Gibilisco (Paperback - 1 Mar. 2005)
Used & New from: £0.93