5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 10 Nov 2007
This review is from: How to Use Power Phrases to Say What You Mean, Mean What You Say, & Get What You Want (Paperback)
I've read a number of these types of books and this is easily one of the best.

It begins by explaining exactly what power phrases are: short and specific targeted messages, and then warns you about using those words and phrases that dilute your message, eg. I could be wrong but, Sorry to bother you but, I was wondering, You may not like this idea but, etc.

I recognised myself saying those things, and this was the first time I'd actually stopped to think about what I was actually SAYING. So although those phrases had nothing to do with the message I was conveying, they robbed the point I was trying to get over. This book explains all of this much better than I can, and gives plenty of examples.

Much of the advice is about how to be assertive, but whilst other books talk about being assertive, this book explains how to actually sound assertive.

4.0 out of 5 stars Important reminders, 28 Dec 2009
J. Thorpe (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Power Phrases was an important reminder of how often we miss opportunities to express ourselves because we have become mired in normal everyday expressions. Especially important to me were the destructive phrases which should not be used because they damage ourselves and others. There was nothing especially new to me but I really enjoyed this book because it collected and detailed all the constructive and destructive methods to communicate.

4.0 out of 5 stars useful clear and thought provoking, 13 May 2014
Straight forward. Recognised my own poor use of language and the effect that has had on being clear and effective.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loveing it, 25 Mar 2013
great, straight forward advice. Have been able to implement some of the techniques and have seen real changes, already. Still reading and enjoying feeling more in control, generally.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 14 Aug 2013
L. Gallagher - See all my reviews
Would use again. No problems. Well packaged. Arrived on time. Goods as described. What more is there to say except I have to write a min of 17 words for Amazon when one is good enought...excellent!

5.59