5.0 out of 5 stars One part of an excellent 3-book set.
I also have the other two books in this series, 'Spanish Verb Tenses' and 'Spanish Prepositions & Pronouns'. The three together form a really first class set. This book, covering grammar, unavoidably duplicates considerable amounts of the other two but I wouldn't dissuade you from getting this one if you already have either or both of the others. Buy all three...
Published on 14 Mar. 2007 by C. Nation

2.0 out of 5 stars Caveat emptor
Although at times a useful guide, my overall feeling regarding this book is disappointment and doubt.

Published on 22 July 2010 by therealus

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars One part of an excellent 3-book set., 14 Mar. 2007
C. Nation "chrisnation" (Bristol UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Practice Makes Perfect: Complete Spanish Grammar (Practice Makes Perfect Series) (Paperback)

The tuition and exercises are presented clearly and in well structured form. There are answers to the questions in the back of the books. TIP! Don't do the exercises on the pages provided for your answers! I did - in pencil, fortunately - and spent ages rubbing out my answers when I realised I wanted to revise/recap. I would have needed an ocean of Tippex if I'd done them in ink.

No: do the tests on loose sheets or your pc. The answer pages in the back are perforated. This is very handy [other publishers note - do the same] because it means you can tear them all out, put them in a folder and avoid endless flipping back and forth between questions and answers. If you do your exercises on loose sheets, you can file them with the answer pages and monitor how well you're progressing.

I like the large format, too. It has enabled the publisher to lay the text out in a clear and logical way. The Oxford U.P. books are good, but the small format leads to a very dense and cramped presentation. These books are far superior in that respect.

I thoroughly recommend them.

2.0 out of 5 stars Caveat emptor, 22 July 2010
therealus "therealus" (Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Initially I just found I was dissatisfied with the nature of the exercises: too short, and with too many gap-fills; the range of conjugation is rarely out of the first or second person singular; and sometimes an obscure (for me) vocabulary item will be dropped in for translation with no guidance. The explanation of reciprocal actions is unclear, and the exercise following barely even touches on them, and that kind of thing is repeated throughout, with a principle taught and then not tested.

As my Spanish gained a little more sophistication, from other sources, I started to notice the errors. On one page the meaning of venir is given as to sell (vender); poner is used as if interchangeable with llevar, and in one translation Bertha is shown as a plural. Even Big Bertha is singular! Later the present perfect, perfecto de indicativo, is given in Spanish as pretérito perfecto, which actually means past perfect. Then it deals with the pluscuamperfecto de indicativo, what I know as past perfect indicative, but in English calls it the past perfect. Most confusing! (I was using, for reference, Kendris and Kendris's 501 Spanish Verbs, by the way, as a checker.)

So by all means buy this - es muy barrato - but with a big caveat emptor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another learner, 5 Aug. 2006
Mr. A. Storey - See all my reviews
My level of Spanish is advanced -not fluent by any means- and I can say that this is a superbly laid out book from start to finish both for the complete beginner and the advanced student. However, I would suggest that if you're looking to learn Spanish make sure this is not your sole teacher. As you would expect it is full of grammar exercises which could become tiresome if like me you prefer to speak the language. But I divulge.. For what it is -a grammar book- it's very good indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 2 Feb. 2005
This book is so good. The grammar points are explained very well and not in a 1,000 words, just enough for us to get the most of it. Plenty of exercises put the lessons in practice and when they are all done the lesson is understood and can be applied easily.
Moreover a lot of vocabulary is provided as well, so it is not a boring grammar book!
This book is perfect for poeple who want to master Spanish or just to catch the key feature of the grammar.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best grammar book I have ever bought, 5 April 2010
J. Cuthbert (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
I think my title says it all - this book is excellent. It is on the book list for the second year of the beginners spanish part of my degree and it has been a bible for the throughout the whole year. The explanations are clear and the exercises are useful and relevant. In another review I see that a native castillano speaker from Spain has mentioned not everything is as they would say it. I am pretty sure this is because it is an american book which is influenced heavily by the latin american way. For me (after having spent 5 months in Chile) this was invaluable to have the opportunity to have examples of world spanish and not just that spoken in Spain. Great for beginners or people looking to brush up on their grammar - I have just bought a second book as I have worn my first out!!

5.0 out of 5 stars This series is fab, 20 July 2009
I have taught myself Spanish at home in order to start a degree in the 2nd year. I am now nearly at the end of the year and I don't think I could have done it without this series (and a whole load of internet resources). I am now working through the advanced grammar of this series and still use the others for brushing up on basics and revising. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value book for practising grammar, 4 Feb. 2009
As an intermediate learner, so far, this book has been great! It's also bigger than I expected especially for the low price! Targets grammar issues that are common errors and I've had problems with, as well as teaching things that are new to me, with good small exercises such as translating, filling blanks, matching phrases and composing your own sentences to allow practise.
The glossary at the back is also very useful, as are the answers at the back to all the activities are very useful and I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to improve and practise their Spanish grammar!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Intermediate level....., 12 April 2011
I got this book along with two others from the same series (complete sentence builder and advanced grammar)and this is definitely the best of the three. This book is terrific value for money (much bigger than expected) and it covers everything from the present tense to the subjunctive and beyond.
I would rate myself as an intermediate/advanced level student - I speak reasonably well (I live in Spain) but my written grammar is a bit dodgy! I thought it might be too basic but realised that I was learning from the first chapter. Each chapter is laid out very well - it teaches a little bit and then you complete exercises directly related to what you have just learnt. In the examples, all the usual everyday basic verbs are covered but there is also a good selection of slightly more unusual verbs, which keeps the interest level high for the more advanced learner.
I would strongly recommend this to anyone of an intermediate level who wants a very comprehensive workbook. I think it may be a little challenging for beginners as a sole source of learning - but combined with a class it will help to accelerate your learning. Even for advanced learners the more complex chapters will provide interesting exercises and a comprehensive review of grammar. Best buy I have made in a very long-time.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Many Errors, 22 Aug. 2010
I agree with the comments about the layout style and simplicaity of this book, it should receive a score of at least 4.5. But there are too many errors (wrong answers, wrong translations etc) which are very frustrating because it just creates doubt in the student. I am only a fifth of the way through and, although I accept that a few typos will always creep through, there are just too many mistakes. An educational publishing house such as this should really try harder to protect its reputation with decent proof readers. More disappointing, given the book has been out for 6 years, is the lack of an errata. I am living in Spain so I have checked that I am correct.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT, 2 Dec. 2006
I FIND THIS BOOK EXCELLENT FOR ALL THE LISTS OF VOCABULARY ...IT IS NICE TO REFRESH ON THE VOCABULARY SIDE OF THINGS AT TIMES AND THIS BOOK IS NICE AND STEADY.
I HAVE "SPANISH VERB" AND "PRONOUN AND PREPOSITIONS" AND FIND THEM ALL VERY USEFUL TO REFER BACK TO.
ALSO IF DOING THE EXERCISES IN THESE BOOKS USE AN A4 WRITING PAD THEN YOU CAN USE THE BOOKS OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›