4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly useful
Published on 23 Mar 2010 by G B Cooney

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful book but not what it says on the tin
Dont get me wrong, this is a really useful book with lots of great ideas, all backed up with research into human nature.
Published on 23 Sep 2003

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly useful, 23 Mar 2010
I am always a little cynical about these kind of books - this however, is written in a fresh and interesting style that is easy to follow. There have been comments that it is a little patronising in it's tone but I didn't find this. I am intrigued by the whole idea of body language but I think this book takes it one stage further and I have found it very useful indeed. I had a very important interview recently and used a couple of techniques - I felt they helped me to relax and feel a little more in control. One thing to remember though, don't try to use too many at once when you are trying to grasp them!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, techniques work, but author doesn't like people, 1 Mar 2000
Hi
I found this book interesting; I've tried many of the techniques and found that they work very well.
Unfortunately, the author has little genuine warmth, empathy or interest in other people.
One example (not untypical). The authors 'good friend' had started a business and Leil (the author) introduced her to an important - powerful - contact. The author's friend 'messed up' when she contacted the 'important person' - she didn't have a pen and asked him to wait a few minutes whilst she got one. The author's reaction 'that's the last time I'll introduce her to anyone'. Jeez - I'm glad she's not my 'good friend'.
I thoroughly recommend it to anybody who wants to communicate more effectively i.e. get what they want out of other people - respect, friendship, business, a job, etc.
However don't let it turn you into a self-centered, manipulative, jerk.
Remember that communications techniques can help in one off relationships (e.g. a job interview, sales call), can help lubricate new relationships (a first date), and increase your social standing (working a party, or social engagement).
They can't help in long-term relationships (when a date becomes your girl/guy, on the job, parenting, etc.) For that you need to invest in your character.
Happy reading
Afam Edozie

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful book but not what it says on the tin, 23 Sep 2003
By A Customer
A lot of the stuff is common sense, but it is useful to have it confirmed so that the ideas are in the forefront of your mind when you are next socially climbing. (If thats what you want to do!!). However this is really a book for those that already have quite competent social skills and are socially confident. It is also rather aimed at the American personality.
It is easy and enjoyable to read and reeks of optimism.
But it is not a lesson in the basic skills for those that are shy to talk to others, it is more about the fine-tuning of existing communication skills.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great results so far !, 2 Oct 2004
Tom (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I'm a reasonably successful person, if a bit shy, and I've always had the nagging feeling that if I could socialise more easily then my luck and my career would improve. I set about improving my social skills and bought this book. Wow ! I read the first two techniques and as I was helping out at a trade show the next day I had the perfect opportunity to try them out. I must say that these simple techniques made a huge difference to the response I got from the customers and potential customers at the show. It seemed like they were hanging on my every word, plus I felt a lot more comfortable talking to them. I now can't wait to learn and try the other techniques.
Perhaps these techniques would seem obvious and second nature to people who are already good at socialising (good for them), but if you are one of the shy, tongue-tied people like me, then this book is worth 100 times its price, if only for spelling out what these 'obvious' techniques are. Thank you Leil !

4.0 out of 5 stars This book has helped me no end, 1 April 2010
I have many, many self-help books on my book shelf. Many of which I haven't finished reading despite having them for years. Leil Lowndes 'How to talk to anyone...' is the most useful, in fact, the best self-help book I have ever purchased. I have finished reading it - yay! And I will now go back and re-read putting into practice many of the tips she has suggested - yay!. In fact over the past week I have put into practice some of the tips and I feel that people have already responded to me differently and I feel more confident.

This book is better than others because a) it is easy to read (the chapters are short, and straight to the point) b) the tips are very, very practical and easy to put into practice you can do most of them almost immediately, and c) it is not boring and written like a school textbook like many other help books.

I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to improve their communication skills instantly. The only negative comment I have is that there are many references to Leil's 'high society friends' - the average person doesn't associate with the CEO of multi-national companies or have friends that are work for famous actors - so there is a lot of indirect name-dropping which I couldn't relate to but despite this I did think of situations where I could use her advice even though I'm not 'high society'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ever feel tongue-tied? Read this book and change your ways!, 16 Aug 2002
By A Customer
I bought this book hoping that I would be able to improve my communication skills which I already thought were good. However, after reading Leil Lowndes wonderful offering I have realised that I did not know many ways to start intriguing conversations or to complement people without sounding like I wanted to get into their good books. Using this book I have been able to rethink the way I talk to people I have just met so I avoid the inevitable, but insincere sounding, 'Wow, it's nice to meet you. What do you do? Isn't the weather nice today?' CONVERSATION OVER!!!
Now I feel much more confident when I approach people that I will be able to hold my own in the conversation department.
In this book Leil Lowndes gives advise about some of the following topics;
1) How to give a positive impression when you first meet someone using body language
2) What to say after saying hello
3) How, by doing a little homework before a social or business meeting you can sound like an 'insider', rather than an outsider.
I recommend this book to everybody. It is refreshing to read a book on communications that really elaborates and gets down to the nitty gritty of what the author is trying to say. This book is thick, and their are 92 tricks for relationship success in any situation, and so you can see that it is very substantial.
Read this book to be comfortable in any situation where you have to talk to others, new aquaintances and old friends alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to Talk to Anyone is Fantastic, 14 Aug 2005
Hey there,
I absolutely loved this book. I still read it every so often and it has given me confidence in situations where I would be totally at loss.
The best aspect of this book is that it is very clear to understand and practical to accomplish the techniques.
It has also given me a greater understanding of how inadequate the social skills of those around me are... And how superior!!
The people that I once thought confident became social losers.
And those I thought were incapable became my role models.
5 stars goes to this book for teaching me social skills I had never been taught.
You see, as smart as I am, I never finished GCSE's and my life was very anti social before marrying my husband who is a doctor. I tried to go to university, I got in based on my SAT's in America, but never felt very comfortable around people. Obviously, after marriage, I was caught in a whirlwind of doctor cliques... and being the wife of a doctor. I had no idea how to handle the situation.
The techniques in this book gave me the confidence that I too could become a social butterfly even around the most educated of people.

2.0 out of 5 stars A book onbody language rather than talking., 10 Nov 2009
I bought this book hoping to discover some useful small talk techniques. How to draw things from other people that you can use to create conversation. This isn't covered in this book. This is a book almost exclusively about body language, not talking.

The insights aren't especially new or useful either - full of stuff like "smile when you first meet people".

The best thing about this book is that it is broken down into specific techniques with an illustrative anecdote which makes for easy reading.

The worst thing is that it is written in that sickly insincere "Oh my God, already" American style.

2.0 out of 5 stars reading and recouting the day's news when you go a party and stuff like that. In general, 9 Aug 2014
I have read only half of the book. Honestly, the first part is simple, maybe helpful, although a bit obvious. However, the second part is a disaster :(

The author divides people into Big Cats and Small Cats. In her view, life is just a struggle for small cats to join the league of big cats. And the way to do so it by adding a few new words from a thesaurus, counting up to 1 before smiling, reading and recouting the day's news when you go a party and stuff like that. In general, she gives a lot of "rules", most of which I find would only make ppl look pretentious, boring and eventually fake.

In my view, life is not a battle between cats. Communication, even business communication, should be based in mindfulness and common sense, recog nising there's another human being in front of you and getting rid of stereotypes, classes (big vs small cats), and simply enjoying communication for what it is.

The book is bad quality, most of the advise is useless or has the danger to make you look stupid and, honestly, all the stories he tells sound as fake ad they can be :(

5.0 out of 5 stars How To Talk To Anyone? - You will after you read this book!, 21 July 2005
I found this book a wonderful refreshing change from the usual Slef-help books that dwell on theory and long stories.. This book had wonderful pace, with lots of short punchy stories which illustrate the techniques to use perfectly. I was completely absorbed in the book. I highly recommend this book for anyone looking for a short, quick self confidence boost for those awkward situations and social occassions you may find yourself in. -- Buy it!

How to Talk to Anyone: 92 Little Tricks for Big Success in Relationships