5.0 out of 5 stars Real Spanish
Published on 29 Dec 2007 by David Monk

2.0 out of 5 stars Text dosen't fit Kindle Screen
I don't think this should be sold as a Kindle edition as it hasn't been edited to fit the page. Surely the person that produced this edition, tried and tested it?
i think I will ask for a refund. Its a shame as when the pages do fit its quite good but its very annoying when the answers go off the page.
Published on 2 Dec 2011 by J. D. Tyler

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Real Spanish, 29 Dec 2007
David Monk (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spanish Among Amigos: Conversational Spanish Beyond the Classroom (Paperback)
This is the Spanish that foreign users are desperate to learn - the language spoken among friends, the 'cool' slang and how to say things that sound natural rather than out of a textbook. As with the accompanying Spanish Among Amigos Phrasebook, you eavesdrop on the conversations between two Spanish girls - and, at times, an American guy who is learning the language - so you easily and naturally pick up phrases about dating, meeting up, fancying people, being fed up and other day-to-day situations. My Spanish teacher was very impressed when I started dropping some of the phrases into my conversations and I can't wait to try them out on my next visit to Spain. Highly recommended for people with a good grasp of basic Spanish.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't praise this book too highly, 6 Jan 2004
Catinthehat "Cat" (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Having dabbled in Spanish for some time, I have reached the point where standard textbooks bore me silly. So I was delighted to come across this book, which is smart, sassy and streetwise and really delivers the goods. It is fun to use, interesting and sometimes provocative in its content and, best of all, feels to me to be really putting me in touch with Spanish as it is actually spoken. Full marks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent colloquialism, 21 July 2009
B. Edwards "Berniethebolt" (Yorkshire England) - See all my reviews
A first class book which gives a valuable insight into actual spanish as opposed to classroom dialogues. It will alleviate some of the glaring errors we British do make and will at the very least save some embarrassing "gaffes". I recommend it as a companion when visiting Spain

5.0 out of 5 stars Genial!, 19 Sep 2011
This is an excellent book for people who have a good understanding of Spanish, and would like to take things to the next level and attempt to sound a little more natural. I was pleased to find that the main focus of the book was not slang, but rather on day-to-day language that all people use when speaking to friends.

What I live most about this book, however, is that it's based mainly on informal Spanish used in Spain, unlike most other books that focus on Latin American Spanish, and mostly ignores the idea that anyone would want to visit Spain. I understand that this might be a problem for some people, but it's great for people like me, who are more likely to visit Adalucia than Acapulco.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for learning real Spanish, 26 April 2010
H. Moon "missmoon" (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
Exactly what it says - Spanish to use with your friends, real, current, Spanish expressions and phrases that you can use with friends. Well written, humorous, easy to pick-up and learn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spanish Amigos, 19 Dec 2009
Gerald Lawrence Ealam (Tenerife) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent book for somebody who wants to take the Spanish language further. I showed the book to my Spanish profesora and she was very impressed by the language and the hints the book uses.

2.0 out of 5 stars Text dosen't fit Kindle Screen, 2 Dec 2011
J. D. Tyler - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, fun and brilliantly useful, 27 April 2011
I'm studying Spanish at University, and so currently spending a year living in Spain as part of my course. It's always been my conversational Spanish that's been a bit of a stumbling block for me compared to reading, writing, etc. but this book is really helping to rectify that. New vocab and phrases are introduced thematically so it's easy to digest, and each chapter is introduced in a fun way following a loose storyline throughout which keeps things interesting. The dialogues are wonderful and jump off the page reading exactly like the sort of everyday conversations people actually have over here. Often books with colloquial language like this end up teaching you a lot of idiomatic phrases which are known to native speakers but not particularly common in day to day use, whereas having spent a lot of time amongst Spaniards, I've seen that the language in this book is 100% faithful to the interactions of "normal" Spanish speakers.

Brilliant for anyone with a fairly competent level of Spanish who is planning on visiting/living in Spain, or who just wants to make their conversational Spanish sound more natural.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, 16 Jan 2014
The Spanish within this book is VERY intense/ advanced, so I wouldn't recommend it to someone who is just starting out learning Spanish, as they would probably find it too confusing, and it will just sit on a bookshelf gathering dust. I have been learning Spanish for several years, on and off as I used to live in Spain for a few years. My grasp of Spanish is basic, although I can hold conversations and am far more advanced than some. I bought this book after I had purchased Spanish verb books, as you will need to have a grasp of verbs to be able to understand the conversations within this book. I didn't realise just how advanced this book would be, but I will be using it initially for reference reasons- so I can see how sentences are constructed in conversation with the use of verbs, tenses, grammar etc.

The exercises within the book consist of answering questions referring to extracts of dialogue between two people (of which there are many), filling in the blanks, choosing the correct Spanish word that is missing etc. It isn't always easy to understand what is expected of you within the exercises, but if you like a challenge and are as determined as I to really improve your Spanish, then this book, when finally understood is sure to be a godsend.

Index, and all the answers at the back of the book! :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, better in paperback, 24 Sep 2012
A really good book but awkward to use on the kindle as you need to constantly need to move forward and back across several pages. I would certainly highly recommend a paper back version.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›