4.0 out of 5 stars Enough for a business trip to Seoul, 29 July 2007
C. Grant GT Ltd "c grant" (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Teach Yourself Korean Complete Course Package (Book + 2 CDs) [With Book] (Teach Yourself Language Complete Courses) (Paperback)
I thought this was an excellent book & CD set for learning enough Korean to get by after two or three weeks - saying hello, goodbye, ordering food and buying things in shops.

I learned how to read the Korean script - it was fun deciphering how pronounce business cards and words. I really liked the extra snippets on how to conduct business out there (their customs).

I think it could be improved though. My printing had some Korean script that was harder to read (the print was indistinct). The script introduction had the shapes but the sounds were in the descriptive text rather than alongside the symbols. I would have prefered early lessons to start with hello/goodbye, how to get someplace, etc. rather than splitting those over the early chapters.

Anyway, it did the trick for me in Seoul.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good to have romanisation !, 5 Oct. 2008
I think it is a good enough book for beginners and one learns enough Korean for a holiday in the country. I respectfully disagree with some of the other reviewers regarding romanisation. Personally, I found it very useful to have it in such a book. Hangul is NOT as easy as people make it out to be. There are a lot of inconsistencies and the romanisation is a good way of letting the learner know what is written is not what is said. At the beginning one just want to know how to say things and wasting lots of time trying to work out what the Hangul is just makes it frustrating. One you know how a word is pronounced, you can go back and see how it is written. It also worked for me when I was learning Japanese which has a far more intricate, and at times maddening, writing system.

I enjoyed using the book and the CD and I look forward to using it when I visit the country next year.