5.0 out of 5 stars The best ski book. For anyone except total beginners.
Some people will never be able to get any benefit from reading a book on a sport. Not everyone can take the knowledge of _how_ something should be done and the advice on how it should look/feel, and be thinking about it when they are trying to perform the action later. For them, all such books are wasted efforts.
Luckily for me I get real benefits from these sorts of...
Published on 21 Jan 2004 by Malcomtent

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for beginners
This book is definitely not for beginners.
Each chapter considers a different aspect of skiing eg turns, bumps, pressure control, powder,etc and gives you drills to do on the slopes to help you improve. Some of the drills are however taught by instrucors during their lessons.

There are 60 pages of the book that consider gear and the negative influence that...
Published on 4 Feb 2009 by Ally Bally G

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The best ski book. For anyone except total beginners., 21 Jan 2004
This review is from: All-Mountain Skier: The Way to Expert Skiing (Paperback)
Luckily for me I get real benefits from these sorts of books if they are done well. Especially in sports that are technical and often counter-intuitive, which skiing certain is.
This book is superb example of a sports manual and it does all that one could hope for in a book.
For me the most useful aspects of the book are:
- the author explaining to you in detail what is happening when you ski, how it works, what your body does and what the skis do
- how it should _feel_ to do something right. This allows you to have a goal to work towards and goes some way to addressing the disadvantages of not having an instructor.
- the drills
The overall structure of the book is also a strong point. The author breaks down 'skiing' into stance, steering, edging, body movement etc and goes into great detail on each. This helps you to target areas more specifically and find where lies the weakness that seems to be holding you back.
There is also a great section on choosing your equipment, and perhaps more importantly, having it set up correctly.
Later on in the book the chapters move away from this 'toolbox' approach and onto how a skier should use their tools ski in a certain manner and to deal with different terrain and conditions (steeps, crud, trees, bumps).
This sections of the book feels like getting the best advice your instructor/friends ever gave you. Certainly you then have to get out there and do it in order to learn, but at least you know what you should be doing, how it should feel, what your problems may be etc.
I have already gone on long enough, but in closing I would remind anyone reading how much even 1 hour of tuition costs. Even if you don't get as much out of this book as I did it is a bargain, and the _only_ book I would recommend.
I would defy anyone to read it and not feel that they have learned something which they can use to improve their skiing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great approach to all-terrain skiing, 16 July 1999
By A Customer
Highly recommended book for any skier who aspires to the Holy Grail of being able to ski in all kinds of terrain, in any condition. This book is most suitable for intermediate to advanced skiiers who are hoping to make the progression to all-terrain skier one day.
It's often very difficult to pay attention to all of the different skills needed to ski well at the same time. Mr. Elling uses a "toolbox" approach to break down each skill, and recommends specific drills to strengthen one's abilities in each skill.
Where this book really shines, though, is Elling's explanation of how these different skills should be combined in order to tackle different types of terrain and/or snow condition. Many ski instruction books out there are written with the goal of teaching you how to ski expertly...on perfectly groomed snow. But the skills that apply to Eastern hardpack/ice (edging, pressure on single ski, etc.) do not apply to Utah powder (even weighting on both skis) and Mr. Elling spells out the differences better than anyone else I have come across.
Also a useful section on ski equipment and boot fit that correctly drives home how important good boot fit is to effective skiing.
Overall an excellent book that anyone who wants to stray off the corduroy should take a look at.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best book that I have ever read on the subject., 15 Feb 1999
By A Customer
I read this book on my way to a ski vacation at Jackson Hole, Wyoming. I tried to apply as many of the "tool kit" concepts in skiing the steep, ungroomed runs at JH, and found that the approach raised my skiing to a higher level. This book is designed to improve intermediate and advanced skiers, and based on my experience, it definitely achieves this objective. Over the past 15 years I have read a number of ski instruction books, and have purchased several, but none as effective as this one. Comparable books in another sport are Vic Braedon's tennis instruction series. Braedon's and Elling's books break their respective sports into the basic physical principles and techniques to understand the mechanics and make significant performance improvements. I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars It just clicks ater reading this book!, 22 Jan 2006
Mike Bryan (Lincoln, Lincolnshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All-Mountain Skier: The Way to Expert Skiing (Paperback)
For someone interested in skiing well, especially the technical side of things, this book is a god send!
The author explains things in a detailed manner which is really easy to take on board.
I read this book before skiing for two weeks in Austria, on the third day I was skiing fast,(let's face it anybody can) but with perfect control,(not many people can) on any run. It seems like when an instructor is repeating the same thing over and over again your brain just dosen't take it in. However, once you've realised for yourself what you should be donig, it just clicks!
The book is is split into common sensed chapters starting with building a collection of basic skills, the author calls this a tool box, tackling basics like; stance, edging, pressure control then moves onto specific techniques for powder, moguls and steeps among other things blending tools from the toolbox to hone a good technique in the differint conditions.
I concentrated on one chapter per day, practicing what the author preached. It worked great. There is drills to help emphasis certain technique particulars and also trouble shooting section in each chapter if you still have problems.
One of my favourite things in each chapter is that the author tells you what you should see and feel through the skis and your tracks when you get it right. Often this is very simple and you may remember from previuos experience when you have got it right. However, sometimes it's very discreet and you would never have realised.
There is also a good section on tuning skis referring to edge angle and binding tuning, although it is a bit ahead of my standard but worth a read never the less.
By working with this book you could easily be one of those people everyone watches from the lift!
This book is well worth the money and I would definatley buy it if you feel your not getting anywhere with lessons. Maybe your just sick of waiting for all the slow ones to catch up! Lessons aren't cheap at the end of the day and it's a fraction of the price.
Although I have skied before a with a good level of instruction, my skiing and understanding of it definatley improved due to this book. Everyone has give 5 stars for a reason, thats why I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thorough., 30 Oct 1998
By A Customer
This might be the very best book ever written about the type of skiing that most of us are trying to achieve. Sitting in my Jacuzzi in Calgary at the end of October 98 with a good snow flurry developing (it is missing the mountains altogether) I read the book. The book is very well planned and laid out. It does not start at square one. He assumes the reader has experience with skis and that the reader is enthusiastic about the sport. In most ski books one must wade through a lot of useless information before getting anything out of it - not in this case. It is easily referenced. He has been very careful to clearly convey skiing philosophies and techniques. It is comprehensive - there is a lot of information here. I know my skiing is going to improve this season because of reading this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for intermediate/advanced skiers who have had formal lessons!, 17 Feb 2007
This review is from: All-Mountain Skier: The Way to Expert Skiing (Paperback)
I have to say that for me (can ski anything on-piste) this book is fab!!

It is ideal for good skiers who have had formal lessons in the past on snow. It won't make as much sense if you were taught by mates as the chapters build on the traditional snowplough, stem turn, parallell approach. Having learnt in Italy and France i got so far and then started to struggle on sustaining good technique on steeper slopes. In the last couple of years I have had 2 private lessons by an English & a Canadian instructor who were able to communicate the 'feel and flow' parts of the skiing technique that I was missing on carving skis. Like many I tried to apply the way I had been taught 15 years ago to newer carving ski technology which does not work.

As soon as I started reading I knew exactly what the author was talking about. The drills were similar to those in the 3 hours of private lessons that I had had. What I was reading made sense and I could easily apply it to my skiing.

If you just want to ski and not bothered by technique then this is not the book for you. If you are willing to read it and practise some of the techniques and drills then they will benefit your skiing. Having now skied 9 weeks out of the last 15 years I found his advice and instruction very useful as did my mate (her partner has still not forgiven me for lending it to her -something to do with her reading it at 5am by headtorch!)

The chapters on equipment are very useful. Skiing technology just keeps changing and his descriptions are easy to understand. Out of the group I have just been with they helped one skier sort heel lift with orthotics, another with black toe problems and another whose skiing was adversely affected as the flex was adjusted wrongly - our skiing all massively improved as a result.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch - still a reference book for me, 24 Oct 2006
G. Bunce - See all my reviews
This review is from: All-Mountain Skier: The Way to Expert Skiing (Paperback)
I'm a Ski Instructor and can heartily recommend this book.. especially the section on "you can blame your equipment sometimes" ! I used it myself a few years ago when I was preparing for my instructor exams and found it an excellent read. The exercises are useful too and some of them have found their way into a number of my high-end lessons.

It's also good in that it's a modern book - ski technology has changed over the years and therefore so has technique. This book is up to date, as opposed to some (although still excellent in some areas) other books that are now becoming dated.

As others have said, it's not a book for beginners but if you have an idea of proper ski control, body management etc. it can give you a good headstart for a week away and will make an instructors life easier when you go for tune-up lessons !

4.0 out of 5 stars Good range of advice, 22 Feb 2009
This review is from: All-Mountain Skier: The Way to Expert Skiing (Paperback)
My wife and I are reasonable skiers. We were looking for a book to help us to improve our skiing - particular in the areas of skiing moguls and powder. There are chapters that cover these topics and so the book was useful.

The book has three major sections:
- "Creating a toolbox" - which covers off building full a range of technical skills
-" You CAN blame it on Your Gear! Sometimes" - which has a useful discussion on gear (skis, boots, poles and bindings) - more from a principles point of view rather than selecting specific brands / skiis (which makes sense give that this is a book rather than a magazine)
- "Getting Tough: advanced situations"

This latter section has a very useful structure: the ideal goal; what it feels like when it goes wrong; what it feels like when it goes right; drills to improve; troubleshooting specific problems.

Overall a very useful book. We read the areas of interest to us a few times before we went on our ski break and that certainly helped us when dealing with the areas which we wanted to improve in. In my view, you can't replace in person coaching - but you can make sure you understand where you are trying to get to so that in person coaching is more effective.

5.0 out of 5 stars High Praise, 7 Jan 2003
The All Mountain Skier by Mark Elling is the best manual I have read. It tackles the problems faces by the second year skier wishing to become advanced. I have been taking lessons and was told to do allsorts of movements that I did not understand. This book puts those movements into perspective. On smooth piste at low speed they were unnecessary, at speed on rough and powder they become fundamental.
I practice on a dry slope. Whilst reading the book I became an advanced skier overnight. All the things had been taught in training now made sense. Because I now understood why, I was able to identify the different elements and embody them in my technique.
There is an effective section on equipment.
I owe a lot to Mr Elling. He has saved me a fortune in tuition. This book is not for the raw beginner but as soon as you know that you want to ski beyond the intermediate level buy the book and grow into it. Thanks Mr Elling, I hope this sells some more for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tool - recommended!, 29 May 2009
Ms. M. Taylor (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All-Mountain Skier: The Way to Expert Skiing (Paperback)
I bought this book as I had just learned to ski the previous winter and would be skiing with more advanced skiers on my next holiday. But I didnt want to have to have more lessons, at least in not in my second ski week.

This book is great for intermediates and above. It breaks skiing into a 'toolkit' and each chapter in the first half of the book explains a different skill. Each chapter provides exercises to help you improve each skill and diagrams to aid understanding. The second part of the book focuses on more advanced items, such as equipment, as well as 'blending' a variety of basic skills to achieve competent skiing on steeps, moguls, crud, etc. The toolkit anaylogy was actually really helpful, although I was a bit put off by it at first, but basically the book helps you select the right 'tools for the job' from a range of tools (skills) that you already have.

I read this book from front to back before I went on hoilday, and now have a much better understanding of which skills I am poor at and which I am ok at. It really opened my eyes to why I was having problems carving a turn, etc. The book sometimes even made me laugh when describing some of the most common problems!

As a book, this is excellent but don't expect it to compare to practice and tuition. If you are looking to understand the skills of skiing and are willing to put some practice in, then this book is for you. If you are looking for a quick fix or a pretty picture book, look elsewhere.

I can't recommend this book highly enough! If you compare the cost of this book with tuition, even if you only learn one thing from the book then I think it is worth the cost, and I definitely learned more than that!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

All-Mountain Skier: The Way to Expert Skiing
All-Mountain Skier: The Way to Expert Skiing by R. Mark Elling (Paperback - 1 Oct 2002)