on 4 September 2008
As a parent I've always been firmly in the Sears camp rather than the Gina camp, and this book seems to be considered as a sacred text by practically everyone I know with similar parenting styles. My 9 month old has been a poor sleeper from the start and so naturally I got hold of a copy. I do love the style of the book and it is indeed initially very reassuring. Unfortunately, it does seem very much geared to fixing specific sleep problems that relate to babies that are unable to fall asleep by themselves and hence need to be nursed or rocked again every time they wake. Unfortunately this doesn't apply to my baby, who wakes frequently despite being perfectly able to put himself to sleep quickly and easily initially. It also doesn't cover 'tension releasing' crying vs 'tension increasing' crying. After much agony I have discovered that my baby actually NEEDS to have a short cry in order to fall asleep. Now I understand that he actually needs to be put down awake to cry, he will be asleep in a few minutes, whereas previously with all of my 'loving' nursing, rocking and singing he would still be sobbing in exhaustion and hour later. If I'm honest I think I might have found this out sooner if I hadn't been brainwashed by all the attachment parenting books that letting your child cry practically was akin to abuse.

So, if you have a baby with the 'right' kind of problem, this might be the book for you. But as always, you need to remember that no one has written a book about YOUR baby yet.
1313 comments|451 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 March 2016
This book is the only book that has truly helped.

It really makes you assess your own life and how what you do affects your babies sleep.

We have gone from 5-10 wakes a night to sleeping from 6:30-6:30 with just one wake up to feed this was just within a few weeks of hard work. If your serious about sorting your sleep issues out, you need to make sure you cancel any social plans on an evening for the next month or two and really just follow the plan and stick to it as best you can (it may take a few fall downs, but just keep getting back up and starting again the next day)

We have taken the sidecar do sleeping crib down down, and she has been sleeping soundly in her own room and big crib now for almost a month. My husband can even put her down now without me.

I feel as though everyone is happier, and me and my husband can once again enjoy a bit of alone time after she goes to bed and we all wake up feeling fresh and happy :)
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 February 2016
This is a great little book stuffed with amazing ideas how to help baby to sleep without 'cry it out' method. I got it both paper and electronic version (for the long nights). I have lot of books about baby sleeping and this is best of them. Elizabeth Pantley is speaking from her own experience and providing comfort for those who struggeling with frequent night awakenings. My baby still not sleeping throught the night, however I feel more informed why it is so and it not bothering me too much any more. We implemented ideas from the book fitting our lifestyle and they improved quality of our lifes.

This was my first opportunity to review a book by Elizabeth Pantley. I would recommend this book to others who is seeking a gentle way to help your baby to sleep through the night. My baby is over 9 months now and I somehow get used to frequent night awakenings. There is no way that I would leave my baby to cry it out. This book provides at least comfort to those who experience the same.

08/06/2016
The ideas from book were helpful however I had to wait 11 months to have first sleep through the night. The baby still waking up 5 times or so, but she is happy to be settled in her cod by her dad and take a formula milk during night.
on 18 November 2003
My wife and I recently had our first child. The first week with our daughter was great. She slept a lot, breast fed well, and we were convinced that we had given birth to an angel. Getting her to sleep during that first week was easy. We would wrap her in a blanket like a burrito, place her in the bassinet or crib, and she would be out. Unfortunately, our honeymoon was soon over after that first week.
As she began to experience her new surroundings, and started to go through tremendous growth spurts, she became increasingly difficult to comfort. As new parents, we felt lost with the multitude of advice coming from our friends and family. There was also the frustration of feeling like we weren't meeting the needs of our daughter, because of her constant restlessness and screaming.
Fortunately, Elizabeth Pantley had recently mailed me a copy of her book, The No-Cry Sleep Solution, to review on FamilyResource.com. The timing couldn't have been more perfect. Elizabeth's book was packed full of useful knowledge and wisdom to help any parent care for their newborn or older baby.
In the second chapter of The No-Cry Sleep Solution, Elizabeth focuses on educating parents on the basic sleep patterns of babies. Most parents (including us) are quick to believe that their newborn baby has sleep problems, simply because they can't seem to get their baby to sleep on a schedule. In response to this common misperception, Pantley writes:
"Newborn babies do not have sleep problems, but their parents do. Newborns sleep when they are tired, and wake when they are ready. If their schedule conflicts with yours, it's not a problem for them; they don't even know it."
After educating parents about basic sleep facts, she walks the reader through the process of keeping sleep logs. The logs are easy to understand, and she provides templates that parents can use for their own logs. My wife and I weren't exactly in a place where we wanted to start keeping logs yet. However, if you have disinterest in the logs like we did, it shouldn't deter you from getting the book. The chapters that discuss the logs, also include an innumerable amount of helpful suggestions for how to teach your baby good sleep patterns and waking behavior.
The chapter we found most helpful was the one entitled, "Review and Choose Sleep Solutions." Elizabeth breaks up the sections into newborns and older babies. The newborn chapter was a God send for us. Suddenly, much of our daughter's behavior began to make sense to us. One of the many things she talks about is day/night confusion. She suggests not having your baby nap too much during the day, because the infant may get day and night mixed up, which may be why she's up all night.
Parents will enjoy the inserts throughout the book called, "Mother-Speak." Mother-Speak consists of short quotes from real mothers describing their experience trying to get their baby to cry less, and sleep better. I felt like Mother-Speak did a good job of connecting the content with the reader, and I think it helps give the reader a sense of normalcy and hope regarding their situation.
Finally, probably the most educational chapter in the entire book is chapter 8, "Analyze Your Success." There is so much accumulated research and advice in this chapter, that it could be its own book. This chapter seemed to cover everything, literally!
The No-Cry Sleep Solution is a must have for parents of babies (newborn to 2-years-old). If it wasn't for this book, I'm not sure how our sanity would be right now. Thank you Elizabeth for writing an incredibly useful and helpful book!
on 13 October 2011
I've never left a review on Amazon before, but feel like I must let other parents know about this book. It's not a fast solution to getting a full night's sleep, however, its written in such a lovely tone and really reassures you that you don't have to leave your baby to cry and cry.

My Son has never been a great sleeper, however by gradually introducing the techniques in this book over a few months he is now capable of sleeping through the night.

I'd highly recommend this book to any parent.
on 7 February 2008
I bought this book when my son was 4 months old - the first time we experienced issues with his sleep, I applied some of the techniques and bingo! within a week we were sleeping peacefully again.

However, as children grow and develop so do their habits and after a spell of being poorly my son got into a habit of sleeping with me whilst he was ill. The illness passed the sleeping habit did not! So I re-visited the book. I filled in all the logs this time, which was a quick and simple way of finding out what I could do differently. It's tempting to rush in and look for solutions ( I know you're tired you want an instant result), I learnt to be patient and importantly to have faith that things will improve. At 17 months it took a little longer for my son to get back into a sleep routine which meant he slept all night. It was all about wearing a new habit and Pantley shows you just how to do this by creating new sleep associations be it a lovey/comforter, familiaristion with sleeping area, music. Have faith it does work!
on 21 January 2015
This book turned things around for me and my baby boy. I was exhausted and almost ready to try letting him cry - I was so tired I was walking into things, I couldn't drive let alone work.
I bought this book as a last resort. It's a joy to read and then to implement the advice because it works! I was lucky, things improved for us that day and now I'm happy working my way through everything else to make things even better.
I love her! Such simple advice but it really works.
on 6 March 2011
I got a few good suggestions from this book but mostly it just suggests things we had already thought of. I had previously read Healthy Sleep habits Happy child so already knew about most of what was suggested with regard to naps and I would recommend this book over no cry sleep solution as I prefer the explanations. Getting a baby to sleep without cryng is a nice idea and some suggestions in the book did help to ease our son into sleeping in his own bed without going cold turkey.
on 9 October 2003
This book deserves to be a huge bestseller, much moreso than some of those other 'baby manuals' written by 'experts'.Elizabeth Pantley writes with compassion and authority without ever seeming overbearing or autocratic.As the mother of four children, two of whom slept well, and two of whom didn't, she is infinitely qualified, in my view, to advise and support other parents. If, like me, you are reaching the end of your tether with a baby or toddler who just doesn't seem to understand that daytime is for feeding and nighttime is for sleeping I strongly urge you to read this book.
The most important aspect of this book is that it is written with the utmost respect for parents who desperately need some sleep,but who cannot bear the idea of making their baby 'cry it out'.If you feel there has to be another way, a gentler way to ease your baby and yourself to a more restful night, you have found it.
Equally, the author, as far as I can judge, has succeeded in speaking to each parent individually by carefully considering as many different styles of parenting as there are parents. So whether you breastfeed or bottlefeed, co-sleep, cot sleep or nursery sleep, Elizabeth Pantley has useful, workable, supportive solutions to severe sleep-deprivation. There is even a really encouraging section for parents like me, whose baby doesn't immediately start to sleep through. I found this really helpful, because it gave me the necessary encouragement to carry on trying the different suggestions and find one that suited us.
I cannot recommend this book highly enough.
0Comment|137 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I am the mother of 4 children, including 21 month old twins, and I was one of Elizabeth Pantley's "test mommies". My twins were 6 months old when I started using the No Cry Sleep Solution methods, and one or both of them woke up every hour all night long. I was extremely frustrated and the babies were often fussy and obviously overtired. Elizabeth Pantley came to the rescue with numerous specific ideas that I could tailor to my parenting style and to my babies' needs. In my case I wanted to continue to co-sleep with and breastfeed my babies, but I needed them to sleep longer stretches so that we all could get a few hours of uninterrupted, deep sleep. I developed a sleep plan based on some of the ideas in the book, and slowly but surely both babies began to sleep longer periods, until they eventually started sleeping through the night! I still get fabulous early morning sleep/cuddles with the babies, and I can be a much more effective and loving parent during the day. We are all happier now! I highly recommend the book.
If you are curious about the other test mommies, you can read more about us on Pantley's No Cry web-site!