5.0 out of 5 stars A compassionate and practical book
Recently an article in the telegraph declared its ok to let your babies cry it out because it teaches them to self-soothe. I am a child psychologist and I despair when I see articles like that. As Elizabeth Pantley points out your own children will instinctively run to comfort a crying baby. Most parents hearts tell them to attend to a crying baby not leave it alone in...
Published 13 months ago by Dr K Hindley

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely in theory but doesn't have a solution for every baby
As a parent I've always been firmly in the Sears camp rather than the Gina camp, and this book seems to be considered as a sacred text by practically everyone I know with similar parenting styles. My 9 month old has been a poor sleeper from the start and so naturally I got hold of a copy. I do love the style of the book and it is indeed initially very reassuring...
Published on 4 Sep 2008 by Muffin's mummy

2.0 out of 5 stars Could be more useful, 20 May 2006
R. Broome - See all my reviews
This review is from: The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night (Paperback)
Like all sleep books for babies how useful this book is will depend on how close it is to your own methods!

I bought it when looking for an alternative to Controlled Crying, NOT CIO which many people mistakenly think is Ferberizing.

I felt much of the book was filler, obviuos advice designed for parents lacking any self confidence. The charts woudl have been more useful if they were endpapers that you could copy more easily. I also found the emphasis on learning your babies rhythms to be a little idealistic. My son didn't have a nighttime rhythm, that was the whole problem! There are babies out there who don't wake looking for comfort, a drink, in pain etc, they just WAKE UP! I have now got a 13 mnth old who is sleeping better but not because of this book. In fact the book made me feel like a failure as a mother rather than giving me confidence to succeed

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!!, 3 Jan 2007
This book helped me go from waking up every 2-3 hours with my sweet little boy until he was 11 months old to him choosing a 6pm bedtime and sleeping 12-13 hours at a time. AMAZING! I am no longer a walking zombie and it has been working great for over a year and we are still breastfeeding. So, thank you!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Ludicrous! Author is happy for results to take over a month!, 27 Jan 2013
I work as a professional private maternity nurse (South West Maternity .co.uk) , and help many parents who have babies and children who struggle to sleep. I don't believe in letting babies cry it out, but if I didn't manage to get babies sleeping better within a week or so, and sleeping through the night soon after, people would never pay my fees.

Whilst I understand that many/most parents are unable to afford private help, and have to look elsewhere for answers, it saddens me that books like this are often the help they turn to.

A method taking as long as this is almost as simple as letting your child grow out of it.

Further to the above point, the book is repetitive, and written on a personal basis. I would highly recommend 'Baby Secrets' by Jo Tantum and Barbara Want - it is much more concise and helpful!

1.0 out of 5 stars frustrating for mother of twins, 7 April 2012
I as a mother of twins found this book rather frustrating
And pretty much uselrss as all the advice given comes to me a common sense and settling one baby to sleep is a walk in the park comparing to two babies
Most of the tips simply cannot be used when u have two crying babies simultaneously!
I'm just as helpless to put them ro sleep in their own as I was before reading it. If u are like me parent of multiples don't waste ur money on this book

2.0 out of 5 stars An unpleasant read, 15 Feb 2011
I really disliked this book. It is written in an extremely emotive way and I found this extremely off-putting the descriptions of the treatment of children, the amount of crying and the stress involved and the over-blown style in which it was expressed made me quite upset. I don't think this is what a new mother or father needs. You need something more comforting in style and I found Rachel Waddilove's book much better for this. Babies cry and you have to deal with this calmly and not in the way this book suggests.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really new information, 14 April 2010
I bought this book when my daughter was 4 months old but I think we'd already tried many of the ideas on getting her to sleep so it wasn't as useful as other books. It's not for those looking for quick results, it was a little too slow for my liking, whilst I agree with the sentiment and would never leave my daughter to cry it out, sometimes a few minutes of grumbling is all she needs to get herself to sleep. This book seems to avoid crying at all costs and I'm not sure that's always best for baby.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good if one size fits all, 17 Sep 2007
This book is one of many on how to get your child to sleep happily. The solution it offers is a very reasonable and workable one, though it still makes the mistake of expecting everyone to follow the same process. This just doesn't work as there will always be babies/parents/lifestyles that don't fit any singlesolution. However if you had to pick one approach this would be as good as any being pretty middle of the road and gentle without taking it to extremes. If you want the confidence of following a single method, i'd recommend this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars it dose work, 8 Jan 2007
i think like every thing a little patience is needed, we are a week into the processs now any there is a definate change in our daugthers sleeping she was co sleeping , breastfeeding(still is) but now she sleeps in her own bed in her own room, and falls back to sleep alone, before that untill we went to bed she would wake every 40 mins and have to be comforted in the hands for sometime. so there is hope and we can see that night long sleep happening before long, hang in there guys and gals

3.0 out of 5 stars A good theory but not always reality, 28 Dec 2013
I have an 8 month old who doesn't sleep through. I have read every forum I can find and all kinds of suggestions but non seem to make much impact. I didn't want to try CIO so bought this book. It is a great theory, and I certainly see that for many it may work, but it hasn't helped me much. Firstly, because it works on the assumption you haven't tried any basics such as a bedtime routine and sleep cues. We were doing all this and it still wasn't helping. It also is hard to see through if the things they suggest at each stage, your baby doesnt respond to. Our LO wont take a dummy, isnt interested in comforters or teddys, night lights or lullabies just make her more awake.

In short, I think it is a good book to get to give you some focus and a path to try if you feel you are losing your mind with it all a little, but I ultimately believe that there is no easy solution to be found in a book. Each baby is unique and will find their own way to sleeping through in the end

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretty obvious advice - no real "solution", 23 Jun 2013
If , like me you're buying this book because you're utterly exhausted from trying everything you can think of to get your wee one to sleep - then I can pretty much guarantee that you've tried all of the advice in here already. I didn't find anything in it that I didn't already know and none of it worked with our little fella. I was quite disappointed after reading all of the positive reviews on Amazon - I was so hopeful that we'd find something in the book that would be a revelation but no - all pretty straight forward, obvious advice that you hear from all of your mummy friends and relations. We ended up doing cry-it-out or whatever you'd like to call it very reluctantly but at our wits end and it worked within 2 days - he cried for about 15 mins the first day with me popping back in to stroke him every 5 mins and the second day within 6 mins - it was hard but not that hard and he definitely didn't suffer any trauma from it. So unfortunately for me - not a great purchase and I wouldn't recommend it.

7.69