5.0 out of 5 stars My Lifeline!
I purchased this book for my wife, and It is the best purchase I have ever made! I shall hand over to my wife to write the review!

I have co-slept with my toddler from birth, and he has always been breastfed, so the 2 have always gone hand in hand and our arrangement worked well for us. That is until I found myself pregnant with baby number 4, and I realised...
Published on 12 Feb 2010 by Kayredhead

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely in theory but doesn't have a solution for every baby
As a parent I've always been firmly in the Sears camp rather than the Gina camp, and this book seems to be considered as a sacred text by practically everyone I know with similar parenting styles. My 9 month old has been a poor sleeper from the start and so naturally I got hold of a copy. I do love the style of the book and it is indeed initially very reassuring...
Published on 4 Sep 2008 by Muffin's mummy

‹ Previous | 122 23 2429 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Not much I didn't know before, 19 Nov 2012
This review is from: The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night (Paperback)
I didn't learn almost anything new from this book. The information in the book is mostly common sense that many mothers surely find out quickly by their own experience. If you are not the type who lets her baby cry himself to sleep, then the book is a confirmation on that you are doing the right thing. But one doesn't have to read a whole book for that.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 8 Nov 2014
Some people may find it useful but there was too much writing notes etc. to be done. Would rather spend my time getting my child to sleep.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a wonderfully refreshing read- love it!, 13 Feb 2010
K. Desborough - See all my reviews
So many people told me just to do controlled crying, but this just seemed totally wrong, especially after reading much research about the long-term effects of stress (including distressed crying) on mental health and behaviour in later years, not to mention how much it goes against natural instincts. Instead I searched desperately for a solution to our sleep problems that was flexible and more child-friendly. This book was the answer to my prayers.

Elizabeth Pantley's naturally warm and nurturing approach takes into account a variety of sleep situations; such as co- sleeping or cot, dummy use, breastfeeeing or bottle etc... and tackles a range of problems. It allows parents to tailor advice to suit their particular circumstances and their individual baby by combiniing different tips and strategies to construct an individual plan (and let's face it babies are individuals so I don't see how a rigid, single 'right' approach would possibly be appropriate for most, let alone all, anyway). She also provides lots of useful facts (such as co- sleeping safety) and sets realistic expectations. After all, as adults we may WANT more than 5 hours unbroken sleep but once we have children it isn't just about us anymore! It helps to accept how much our little ones are capable of. It was really good at putting everything into perspective to; I really felt more reassured that I wasn't the only one in my situation and felt so much better realising it could be even worse! I also love how much it reminded me to think of the bigger picture in general.

It really is a wonderful book full of incredibly practical hints, tips and strategies that really do make a difference....without having to resort to any 'training'. It helped me to follow my natural instincts and choose the approaches that are right for my child, instead of having to fight against my child and my instinct (and at what cost in the future?)

I would recommend this book to everyone (and frequently do!)

5.0 out of 5 stars The answer to the nightmare of a child who won't sleep, 2 Jan 2009
A. Martin "Susannah" (Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
I was despairing of the sleep issues that my daughter was suffering from but also down-hearted by all the professional literature that advocated letting your child cry at bedtime or naptime. So I thought to myself there must be a book out there that focuses on helping your child sleep without crying being part of the process. And then I found Elizabeth Pantley's books which even had 'no-cry' in the title which was very encouraging. The fantastic thing about these books (including 'The No-cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers and Pre-schoolers') is that Pantley offers you a whole range of solutions and you choose the one/ones best suited to you and your child. It was interesting to learn the basics of how babies sleep, including their sleep cycles and the importance of naps. And reassuring to discover that sleep issues in children are not uncommon. It was so refreshing to read a book written by a mother of four and not just an academic or someone with many letters after their name. If you are as sleep deprived as we were you will be pleased to know that the book is fantastically well laid-out with many headings and sub-headings so that you can easily navigate the text. When I bought the book, the first thing I did was sit down with a cup of tea, the book and a notepad and I jotted down every option that we hadn't tried already (e.g. soothing music, getting our daughter used to the crib by putting her in to play) and then systematically tried them out over the following days. Take heart, somewhere in this book you will find the answers you are looking for. Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars It actually works!, 30 Oct 2014
It actually works! We had 14 months of broken sleep and within a few weeks using this book she now sleeps right through the night

5.0 out of 5 stars Sound common sense, 3 Aug 2014
Brilliant . Common sense lives and breathes but great to have it reinforced for first time mums. Both daughters have a copy now.

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent delivery, personally this book didn't help me with ..., 6 Oct 2014
Excellent delivery, personally this book didn't help me with my son's sleeping bit too softly softly must work for some though.

5.0 out of 5 stars The alternative method to get your baby to sleep, 4 Mar 2005
By A Customer
Loved this book, (hated the Gina Ford method, struggled with the let baby fall asleep on me approach), here we have the book to teach us to work with baby to provide the right conditions for baby to sleep. Within days, happy baby, happy mum.

5.0 out of 5 stars a must have for moms of night wakers, 19 Feb 2007
This book gave me a ton of information. I didn't think at first that some of the simple advice in the book would work. Boy was I wrong. I started by getting my 10 month into a routine for bedtime. By following her advice I got her to stop comfort nursing so much at night. We're down to 2-3 feedings. Form 10 times. This books works and My daughter now sleeps more and doesn't wake up as much. My only regret is that I didn't get it sooner.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great!, 23 Aug 2011
I personally don't find this book that great. I found it waffled too much and as a sleep-deprived parent, I found it difficult to stay focused on what I was reading. It is also very much for the American market.

‹ Previous | 122 23 2429 | Next ›