5.0 out of 5 stars My Lifeline!
I purchased this book for my wife, and It is the best purchase I have ever made! I shall hand over to my wife to write the review!

Published on 12 Feb 2010 by Kayredhead

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely in theory but doesn't have a solution for every baby
Published on 4 Sep 2008 by Muffin's mummy

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely in theory but doesn't have a solution for every baby, 4 Sep 2008
This review is from: The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night (Paperback)
As a parent I've always been firmly in the Sears camp rather than the Gina camp, and this book seems to be considered as a sacred text by practically everyone I know with similar parenting styles. My 9 month old has been a poor sleeper from the start and so naturally I got hold of a copy. I do love the style of the book and it is indeed initially very reassuring. Unfortunately, it does seem very much geared to fixing specific sleep problems that relate to babies that are unable to fall asleep by themselves and hence need to be nursed or rocked again every time they wake. Unfortunately this doesn't apply to my baby, who wakes frequently despite being perfectly able to put himself to sleep quickly and easily initially. It also doesn't cover 'tension releasing' crying vs 'tension increasing' crying. After much agony I have discovered that my baby actually NEEDS to have a short cry in order to fall asleep. Now I understand that he actually needs to be put down awake to cry, he will be asleep in a few minutes, whereas previously with all of my 'loving' nursing, rocking and singing he would still be sobbing in exhaustion and hour later. If I'm honest I think I might have found this out sooner if I hadn't been brainwashed by all the attachment parenting books that letting your child cry practically was akin to abuse.

So, if you have a baby with the 'right' kind of problem, this might be the book for you. But as always, you need to remember that no one has written a book about YOUR baby yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Lifeline!, 12 Feb 2010

I have co-slept with my toddler from birth, and he has always been breastfed, so the 2 have always gone hand in hand and our arrangement worked well for us. That is until I found myself pregnant with baby number 4, and I realised that my body wouldnt be able to cope with the wriggling toddler next to me and lack of sleep!
I was unsure of how to get my little one into his own bed and weaned off the breast.
I have never been a fan of 'cry it out' sleep solutions, so when a friend recommended this book to me which had been written by a mother of 4 who had breastfed and co-slept with all of her children, It seemed perfect for me.
I read my eagerly awaited copy, and i could have jumped for joy - the book was so relevant to my lifestyle! (I found it doubly good that it gave advice also for bottlefeeding mums and those not co-sleeping - it is the methods in general that work!).
It has always disturbed me that in so called 'parenting' books, I was classed as doing the wrong thing, and creating 'bad sleep associations' by allowing my baby the comfort of nursing to sleep - this book made me feel proud of my parenting choice!
Having read the book, I put a plan into place. Within a week my little boy was going to sleep in his toddler bed, was weaned from the breast, and sleeping through the night (well, he occasionally comes in for a 5am cuddle - but thats fine by me!!).
I would like to stress this isnt an overnight solution - teaching your baby/child a new sleep routine doesnt come overnight if you want them to continue feeling confident and secure. I allowed a month for it to work - and it took 1 week! I feel like I owe so much to Elizabeth Pantley - we have a happy baby, happy ,mummy and happy daddy, and not one shed of a tear by any of us along the way!

5.0 out of 5 stars A compassionate and practical book, 12 Jun 2013
Recently an article in the telegraph declared its ok to let your babies cry it out because it teaches them to self-soothe. I am a child psychologist and I despair when I see articles like that. As Elizabeth Pantley points out your own children will instinctively run to comfort a crying baby. Most parents hearts tell them to attend to a crying baby not leave it alone in the dark to figure out how to fall asleep! However most parents, myself include have felt in the desperation of sleep deprivation that they will do ANYTHING to get some sleep and if that means leaving them to cry then you might just try it! I implore you not to because there is another way thankfully and you don't have to put yourself and your baby through that terrible experience! This book is both compassionate and practical. It's even easy enough for the most sleep deprived among us to be able to follow! My baby started sleeping through a month after reading this and I only had to do a couple of modifications. The best thing was I didn't have to do anything I wasn't comfortable with and I felt finally someone was giving permission for me to feel that I could follow my instincts with my child! My own mother kept telling me I was too soft but this book restored my faith in my own intuition as a parent. I am very grateful for the restoration of sanity that this book brought!

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible and worthwhile book to read, 22 Sep 2010
The 'No Cry Sleep Solution' is a beautifully honest account of how Elizabeth gently managed sleep problems with her four children. It is often not until we become parents ourselves that we realise the pressures today's society puts on us to parent in ways we instinctively feel as mothers are not right. This book provides comfort and reassurance to parents at a time when many of those around them may think they are wrong or strange for the way they parent. Particularly for the many mothers who enjoy the intimate and irreplaceable experience of having their child sleep with them in their bed. This book is worth all parents reading, including those who feel they would like to try a method that involves crying. Thank you Elizabeth for putting into words what so many of us would have liked to say.

Dr Natasha Duncan-Sutherland
Auckland, New Zealand

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is wonderful, 5 April 2010
I loved this book from the moment I picked it up. Touching, kind, sympathetic with lots of helpful constructive advice and no apportioning of blame. Mrs. Pantley builds your confidence in your parenting abilities and encourages your love and strong bond with your baby, she gently gives constructive suggestions that really do work in helping your baby and you sleep calmly and happily through the night. I strongly suggest that you buy this book if you passionately do not want to 'cry it out' and if you really don't see anything wrong with giving your baby what they want when they want it but at the same time really do want more sleep! This is a great book for those of us who are determined to continue breastfeeding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, the answer to my prayers., 6 Mar 2006
I have a 6 year old son, that had a lot of sleep problems for his first 2 years. I have a 5 month old son, that had hardly slept more than 1 hour at a time since birth. In other ways, they're perfect children that I love totally : ) I have had the advice of health service counsellers (that mostly advocated that they should cry it out... well, that did NOT work and it made me go nutty to listen to the poor wee things cry). I have a lot of experience in finding ways to help them sleep, and have been re-inventing the wheel a thousand times (because lots of what I do has been done by parents for thousands of years, it just doesn't seem that anybody bothers to put it down in writing). I have been reading many books about babies´ sleep, and mostly they made me more insecure, because they said either:
1. Cry it out (and I couldn't do it).
2. Endure it and love your baby (and I desperately needed a tiny bit of sleep).
They were also often so big that a sleep deprived parent had no way of reading through them.
But, there came a book, with such a good amount of good advice, some things that I'd done with success, other things I hadn't done, other things I'd done but as it takes a few days to see the result I'd given up before seeing the good result.
Now I've got the courage to do the right thing, and already my younger baby is sleeping MUCH better. I wholeheartedly, lovingly, desperately, truly reccommend this book. I wish I'd had it 2 weeks before my first baby was born, but at least I'm glad it will help me and my second baby now, and a big number of loving, sleep deprived parents out there : ) What a great gift this book is : )

5.0 out of 5 stars Prove the Cry-It-Out method people wrong!!!, 17 Feb 2005
My husband and I both work full time. Our son is overall a well rounded baby (personality not body shape). Yes he's fussy, demanding, extremely active (and I do mean extremely), but he's also happy; laughing and smiling all the time. Right now, he wants to be held all the time and some days he's clingy and some days he's not. Bedtime was such a battle. He was fussy, squirmy and pretty much fought his sleep each time I put him down. It would take about an hour to get him to sleep just to wake up again 2 hours later.
1-2 weeks after reading the book, my 8 mos old, who sleep-shared with my husband and I since he was born, started to learn to fall asleep on his own without needing a bottle or to be nursed. The bedtime routine we established (that didn't work before) is now working through the help of the No Cry Sleep Solution book. It was wonderful to put him down still awake and watch him fall asleep without a fight.
3-4 weeks after reading the book, I was able to wean the night feedings.
5-6 weeks after reading the book, I worked on getting him to sleep in his crib. Doing what the book recommended, I set up his environment to what he was used to in our bed. I put him in....and to my surprise, HE DID NOT FIGHT ME. I watched him fall asleep (which was all of 2 minutes) and he stayed asleep all through the night. On weekends, he would wake up in the morning and just sit in his crib and play with his toys. I know because I can hear him playing and the toy jingling through the monitor. Sure he wakes up sometime during the night, but with only a short whimper and he's back asleep even before I walk out of my bedroom (and I am a snap to it mommy...I don't spare a second to go to my baby when he cries).
So many people around us thought for sure we were going to have a hard time getting him to sleep in his crib. We have been finger-wagged so many times from friends and family and kept telling us how we should let him cry it out. When my mother-in-law babysat for us a few nights after my son started sleeping in his crib, she couldn't believe how he went to sleep without a fuss and without a peep. She said she put him in and he was so wide awake and just kept looking around she just kissed him goodnight and walked away. She checked up on him 3 minutes later because she didn't hear a peep from him, and she found that he was already asleep.
I LOVE THIS BOOK. Mostly because it made sense from the first page to the last, and also because it gave me assurance that me not letting my baby cry himself to sleep is better than the cold cry it out method. Also, sleep-sharing had more rewards short and long term than putting a baby in his own cold crib at 3 months.
I am so proud of my son, husband and myself for PROVING EVERYONE WRONG!

5.0 out of 5 stars The is the ONLY sleep book you need to read!, 9 April 2002
By A Customer
How many people have asked you 'Is your baby sleeping through the night'? and then followed it up with 'Well, you just have to let them cry-it-out (CIO).' I heard this constantly and even a person just suggesting that I let my little baby CIO made my heart hurt. I knew I would never, could never, do this to my child. And you know what, I didn't have to...and neither do you. When you sit down to read this book, Elizabeth becomes your friend instantly. It's a page turner! Her writing style feels like a big hug from a mom who has been exactly where you are right now. And the best part. Not only do feel like you are commiserating with another mother in the same boat as you, you see that the there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Elizabeth will get you to that light. There are many books out there that try to fit all babies into one mold by having strict schedules and make parents feel like they need to be in control. As you have learned with your child(ren) this simply is not true. Not all babies respond to the same methods. Elizabeth presents methods for all types of families and their parenting styles. She respects you. Whether you are breast or bottle feeding, have a crib sleeper or you co-sleep, or if you're just trying to get rid of the pacifier, it doesn't matter; there are options for everyone - and they WORK. When I read this book my baby was waking so often I couldn't even count. I was at my rope's end. Elizabeth has you log night wakings, and when I counted 13 (not a typo) times in a 12-hour period, I knew I needed some serious help. With Elizabeth's method's, we got down to 3 wakings, then 2, which is fine with me as a nursing mother. Trust your instincts. Following your baby's cues will build a wonderful trust between you and your child. Parenting is a 24-hour job. A baby does not understand why, just because it's 3 a.m., he can't receive the love and attention that he gets from you at 3 p.m. A clock should not dictate when we give our all to our children. Show your child that he can trust that you are there for him, and that he can be helped to go to sleep in a warm, loving, safe environment, without being left to cry or wondering why he can't be with you. Elizabeth's book will help you do just this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 9 Oct 2003
Liz Cole (Suffolk, England) - See all my reviews
This book deserves to be a huge bestseller, much moreso than some of those other 'baby manuals' written by 'experts'.Elizabeth Pantley writes with compassion and authority without ever seeming overbearing or autocratic.As the mother of four children, two of whom slept well, and two of whom didn't, she is infinitely qualified, in my view, to advise and support other parents. If, like me, you are reaching the end of your tether with a baby or toddler who just doesn't seem to understand that daytime is for feeding and nighttime is for sleeping I strongly urge you to read this book.
The most important aspect of this book is that it is written with the utmost respect for parents who desperately need some sleep,but who cannot bear the idea of making their baby 'cry it out'.If you feel there has to be another way, a gentler way to ease your baby and yourself to a more restful night, you have found it.
Equally, the author, as far as I can judge, has succeeded in speaking to each parent individually by carefully considering as many different styles of parenting as there are parents. So whether you breastfeed or bottlefeed, co-sleep, cot sleep or nursery sleep, Elizabeth Pantley has useful, workable, supportive solutions to severe sleep-deprivation. There is even a really encouraging section for parents like me, whose baby doesn't immediately start to sleep through. I found this really helpful, because it gave me the necessary encouragement to carry on trying the different suggestions and find one that suited us.
I cannot recommend this book highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for all sleepless mothers!, 12 Aug 2006
Elizabeth Pantley's no cry sleeping solution really works! I am the mother of a one year old baby girl, who would wake me up about every hour to breastfeed! In my surroundings, everyone, including my pediatrician, adviced me to let her cry herself to sleep. Finding this absolutely barbarous as a method of treating this helpless little bundle depending on me, I resigned myself to sleepless nights! Until I found Elizabeth Pantley's book! Read it, it is clear, well written and based on real mother experiences. I am now sleeping 12 hour nights, undisturbed!!

7.69