4.0 out of 5 stars It helped me see my baby was "normal"
I must admit that it did not make any diffencence on my baby sleeping habits. She was 8-9 months old when I started reading it and it was difficult to get out of the habits we had.
Published on 31 Dec. 2012 by Maria

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely in theory but doesn't have a solution for every baby
Published on 4 Sept. 2008 by Muffin's mummy

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely in theory but doesn't have a solution for every baby, 4 Sept. 2008
This review is from: The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night (Paperback)
As a parent I've always been firmly in the Sears camp rather than the Gina camp, and this book seems to be considered as a sacred text by practically everyone I know with similar parenting styles. My 9 month old has been a poor sleeper from the start and so naturally I got hold of a copy. I do love the style of the book and it is indeed initially very reassuring. Unfortunately, it does seem very much geared to fixing specific sleep problems that relate to babies that are unable to fall asleep by themselves and hence need to be nursed or rocked again every time they wake. Unfortunately this doesn't apply to my baby, who wakes frequently despite being perfectly able to put himself to sleep quickly and easily initially. It also doesn't cover 'tension releasing' crying vs 'tension increasing' crying. After much agony I have discovered that my baby actually NEEDS to have a short cry in order to fall asleep. Now I understand that he actually needs to be put down awake to cry, he will be asleep in a few minutes, whereas previously with all of my 'loving' nursing, rocking and singing he would still be sobbing in exhaustion and hour later. If I'm honest I think I might have found this out sooner if I hadn't been brainwashed by all the attachment parenting books that letting your child cry practically was akin to abuse.

So, if you have a baby with the 'right' kind of problem, this might be the book for you. But as always, you need to remember that no one has written a book about YOUR baby yet.

4.0 out of 5 stars It helped me see my baby was "normal", 31 Dec. 2012
The methods used as very gentle and take time and patience. There are no quick solution, but your baby doesn't need to cry and is not distressed at any point (crying babies to sleep is not natural or beneficial in the long term in my opinion)
However, it made me realise that there are more people out there with the same "problem" and that it is okay to co-sleep and breastfeed your baby to sleep if it works for you.
The book is easy to read (the writer is an experienced mum, not an overqualified proffesor...) and makes you feel content with yourself (no guilt or "I'm doing everything wrong" feeling)
In my experience, your baby will sleep through the night when he/she is ready. Some babies do it when they are 6 months old and others when they are 3 years old.
You will sleep again some time, but your baby will only be a baby now. Enjoy him/her

5.0 out of 5 stars My Lifeline!, 12 Feb. 2010
I purchased this book for my wife, and It is the best purchase I have ever made! I shall hand over to my wife to write the review!

I have co-slept with my toddler from birth, and he has always been breastfed, so the 2 have always gone hand in hand and our arrangement worked well for us. That is until I found myself pregnant with baby number 4, and I realised that my body wouldnt be able to cope with the wriggling toddler next to me and lack of sleep!
I was unsure of how to get my little one into his own bed and weaned off the breast.
I have never been a fan of 'cry it out' sleep solutions, so when a friend recommended this book to me which had been written by a mother of 4 who had breastfed and co-slept with all of her children, It seemed perfect for me.
I read my eagerly awaited copy, and i could have jumped for joy - the book was so relevant to my lifestyle! (I found it doubly good that it gave advice also for bottlefeeding mums and those not co-sleeping - it is the methods in general that work!).
It has always disturbed me that in so called 'parenting' books, I was classed as doing the wrong thing, and creating 'bad sleep associations' by allowing my baby the comfort of nursing to sleep - this book made me feel proud of my parenting choice!
Having read the book, I put a plan into place. Within a week my little boy was going to sleep in his toddler bed, was weaned from the breast, and sleeping through the night (well, he occasionally comes in for a 5am cuddle - but thats fine by me!!).
I would like to stress this isnt an overnight solution - teaching your baby/child a new sleep routine doesnt come overnight if you want them to continue feeling confident and secure. I allowed a month for it to work - and it took 1 week! I feel like I owe so much to Elizabeth Pantley - we have a happy baby, happy ,mummy and happy daddy, and not one shed of a tear by any of us along the way!

2.0 out of 5 stars Potentially useful but not for us, 4 Nov. 2014
Media Fox (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I got this book out of frustration as I was a first time mum and felt like I had no idea what I was doing and heart was breaking because she would get so upset at bedtime. So much contradicting advice being flung at you and no idea what works and what doesn't. The book is well written, sympathetic to your plight and has some practicle advice in there but in the end stopped reading it after the first couple of chapters as it wasn't telling me anything new and decided to go with my gut instinct instead and had my 6 month old baby sleeping 12 hours straight by the end of the week with minimal tears (Funnily enough it was my presence that was distracting her from her from falling asleep. Not read a book that mentioned that as a potential issue) I honestly think there is no magic formula that someone can sell you as each baby is so different. Get the book if you think it will make you feel better but think the time spent reading it would be better spent catching up on sleep yourself.... and don't underestimate your parenting instinct.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the book you were looking for!, 29 April 2006
I recommend this book to all parents who want to change anything in their child's sleeping habits. My baby (7 months) used to wake up 4-5 times between 11PM and 7AM. Even though I accepted it, I slowly started to realize that at his age he really did not need to drink so many times at night. For my son it had become a habit that was very difficult to stop. Everybody around me advised to let the baby "cry it out", but even though I don't consider myself a 'softie', I was very much against this method.

The book offers many ideas for baby aged 0-2 yr, you can pick out the ideas that suit you most. It's for breastfed and bottle babies, co sleepers or not, it suits everyone!! We have followed the method carefully for 30 days, and we now have a happier baby who sleeps better (longer) during the day, and sleeps through the night.

Try it yourself, it really works!

5.0 out of 5 stars Reassuring and informative, 28 May 2013
I was surprised and overwhelmed by how many different opinions I had thrown at me by so many different people on the subject of my baby! I found I was bombarded and became confused very quickly. I disagreed with many opinions and felt they went against my instincts. I stumbled across this book by chance and am so pleased I bought it even though I have been criticised by several people for doing so! After all, why do you need a book when you have so many people around you to "help" (each offering a different opinion)? And why do you need to find a no-cry sleep solution? There's nothing wrong with letting baby cry a little - or a lot as was the case for us!

We haven't finished reading this book yet but in the first few pages the author reassures you that you are not alone in these experiences and emotions and that there are NOT only two methods, "cry it out" or "live with it". The author suggests you create sleep logs to identify your baby's sleep patterns; this task alone helped us identify some things we hadn't ever noticed. There are so many little bits of information that we found so useful, like studies that have been carried out, how much sleep your baby should be getting in 24 hours and the patterns of light and deep sleeps etc. There are of course also bits that we didn't find so useful and didn't want to follow, but the author makes it clear that there is no one way of doing things and that you must choose what is best for you and your baby, which is exactly what we have done. We may not have followed to the letter but we now have a much more informed opinion when it comes to all those suggestions from well-intentioned people and our baby boy is a very happy and contented child who knows his parents love him dearly.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great resource for sleepless mums, 29 Oct. 2012
Before we had kids, my husband and I assumed that our level of
education, desire for order, and commitment to consistency would help us
have babies who were on a good sleep routine. And, indeed, our firstborn
basically emerged from the womb sleeping through the night. However, our
second daughter, who just turned one this week, has been an entirely
different story. Ryan is a classic Dr. Sears "high need baby." She emerged
from the womb screaming for her mama, and hasn't really ever stopped! For
her first 8 weeks she lived in a sling on me during the day, and slept on me
at night. If we didn't do that, she screamed (and sometimes she screamed
anyway). No one else could even hold her, even my husband. Also, Ryan was
born having SIX HOUR awake stretches as a newborn! The girl just hated
sleep. I was elated when she learned to fall asleep nursing at 3 months
because it meant she could go to sleep without me holding her!

But, her night-waking and dependence on my breast soon grew old. I told
myself it was just a phase that she would outgrow. As she neared her first
birthday I thought I'd tried everything. I even resorted to homeopathic
"drugs" and melatonin (of course it didn't work). Ryan was getting up
between every 45-60 minutes - every night. I never had any free time, and
didn't sleep at night. Most of the people I'd talked to suggested that I
just put Ryan down and leave her til morning. I even got desperate enough to
contact an "infant sleep consultant" who basically told me that my baby was
smarter than me, was manipulating me, and that I needed to show her who was
boss. I knew from my experiences with Ryan that crying-it-out wasn't an
option. She cries so hard that she vomits! We were both a wreck if I tried
even five minutes of crying!

When a friend recommended this book I was skeptical. I've become very leery
of any parenting book that purports to have any "answers." But, since I was
at the end of my rope I got the book. I inhaled it in one afternoon. I finally felt like someone
understood. I immediately put the suggestions in your book to practice.
Within 2 days, Ryan was falling asleep without my boob in her mouth, and
with minimum crying. It's been a week and a half, and I am so proud of how
she's doing. She's gone from waking 10+ times a night to waking 2-4 times a
night. She even had an 8 hour stretch once (unfortunately between 6:30pm and
2am). I know we still have a long way to go, but I feel confident that I
know how to meet Ryan's needs AND help her learn to sleep on her own.
Instead of feeling like the world's worst mother, this book helped me see that
I'm actually doing a good job with this little high need girl.

5.0 out of 5 stars a gentle way to sleep train your baby - that works!, 3 Aug. 2012
When my baby got to around four months old and could only fall asleep on the bottle I knew that at some point I was going to have to introduce some sort of sleep training. I spent quite some time researching the various methods that are popular with mum's today but I couldn't find anything that felt right! There was no way I was comfortable with "cry it out" and "controlled crying" wasn't right for me either. I toyed with the "pick up put down" method but still it didn't feel right and bedtimes where becoming a lengthy and anxious process for me and my baby!
I kept researching and then came across Pantley's "No cry sleep solution" I liked the principles, so promptly bought the book and I'm so glad i did! You can tell it's written from the heart and like me (and many others) the author was determined to find a more gentle approach in teaching our babies the art of sleep!
The book is written in an easy to read friendly style and includes enough detail on how babies sleep and baby devlepment to help the reader understand babies sleep cycles and why they awake - but it's concise enough that busy mums actually have time to read it!
One of the nice things about this book is that the author offers a multitude of suggestions and ideas and encourages the reader to work with the ones that feel right for them, their baby and their family. It very much encourages you to be confident that you know whats right for your baby and you can't hold or love your baby too much. This attitude has helped me be a happier more confident mum in all areas of parenting, not just sleep as it reassures you that you can use your own intuition and desires when comforting your own child without worrying about making a rod for your own back etc! and you CAN teach your baby to sleep alone without crying!
The book provides a simple log for you to complete and this was invaluable to me I could see quite quickly where changes could be made and my baby now naps better in the day and can put himself to sleep at night! I'd recommend this book to all new mums but particularly those who want a calm gentle approach to encourage better sleep for their babies. I now have a baby who sleeps well and bed times are a beautiful bonding time! overall its reduced a lot of my anxiety too! I'm much more relaxed now and never second guess cuddling my son when he needs me - I'm enjoying parenting for the wonderful love filled experience it should be!

5.0 out of 5 stars a fantastic book, so very recommended!, 19 Oct. 2010
I was so kindly surprised by this book! I heard about Elizabeth Pantley from a friend, who is actually using her ideas in India. These breaking ideas spread around the world! Just when I thought my fight with the lack of sleep is lost forever, I started the No Cry Sleep Solution (now also recommended by the La Leche League), and I started to see progress in just three days! I would never believe something like this is possible, WITH NO CRY? But yes, simple, gentle, patient methods, discovered by Mum just like me. I strongly recommend this book to any breastfeeding Mum, or any Mum! And, it's a wonderful reading, still makes me laugh, and I read it again and again! Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars SLEEP!!! WONDERFUL SLEEP!!!, 25 Feb. 2003
K. Conner - See all my reviews
If you are looking for some sleep, BUY IT NOW!!! This book puts your baby's needs first, unlike the 'Cry it out' method. But, it also recognizes that Mommy needs rest too and tells you how to acheive that rest while still tending to the needs of your precious baby. No crying required (for Mommy or Baby)!!!
This book is the best thing I've come across. Like so many other Mothers, my baby was still waking all night long. In fact, my baby was waking every hour on the hour! And, he had to be nursed to/back to sleep for each and every nap and all night long. I don't have to tell you how tiring this was.
I did so much research and only saw 2 ways to deal with it, 'Cry it Out' and 'Live with it'. Well, that is untill some great mothers over at the Babycenter message boards recommended that I try this book. So, I gave it a shot. It was the best 11 bucks I have ever spent in my life!!!
Christopher is now sleeping from 8:30 pm until around 2:30 am! He goes to sleep at 6:30 pm and wakes for a 'milkie' at 8:30 pm. Then, he is out until 2:30 am!!! I know he wakes and settles himself several times during that 6 hour stretch. After the 2:30 am feeding, he is normally out till around 6:30 am!!!
Christopher is also sleeping in his crib now, which is beside my bed. I have only been using this sleep plan for 10 days and look at the success. The success started on the 3rd night. I started seeing him be able to sleep longer and longer. And, now he is even able, sometimes, to fall alseep on his own!
Elizabeth Pantley is a God send! She has children of her own (4) and has actually used these techniques on her own baby. This book is the top of my list for a gift for any new Mom. I wish someone would have told me of this book 7 months ago.
Thank you Elizabeth! You have changed my life!