5.0 out of 5 stars I feel like a semi-Steven Spielberg after reading this book
Okay so I started University back in September and I'm studying Film. My seminar teacher was very vocal about students getting this book as opposed to borrowing it from the library seeing that it won't always be available.

I ended up buying the book despite the high cost of 40 pounds -- do I regret it? Absolutely not!

The book is quite thick and is...
Published 12 months ago by Blancofied

1.0 out of 5 stars Be warned Connect Card does not work for self study
Published 21 months ago by Alcuinus

1.0 out of 5 stars Be warned Connect Card does not work for self study, 15 Mar 2013
If you are planning to buy the last edition of this book because of the access the connect card will give you to the Criterion Collection clips plus all the online assignments, quizzes and practice tests... Be warned: they don't work as self study, even if the book brings the card with a 'reveal access code' and the special link to 'self study'. I believe it's a bit of a fraud and does not honour Mc Graw Hill's commercial fairness. Why do you sell something and do not provide the service? Only answer on McGraw website is: "Self-Study is not enabled for this ISBN". Several similar complains on amazon.com by US customers prove that this it's not just a matter of IP rights outside the US.

I bought this book through amazon.com because the last new edition was not available in the UK some months ago. I was hoping to get the more up-to-date edition with Connect Film: the 'groundbreaking integrated digital program [that] uses extensive clips from the Criterion Collection and interactive assessments'... Connect Film only breaks your pocket. Do not spend an absurd amount of money on the 10th Edition. Buy yourself an older edition of this excellent book, new or used, for a fraction of the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars I feel like a semi-Steven Spielberg after reading this book, 7 Dec 2013
This review is from: Film Art: An Introduction (Paperback)

The book is quite thick and is packed with all the topics you are going to be covering in your Film course, assuming you are using this for your course. Even if you're buying this for another reason, the book is filled with information from mise-en-scene, cinematography, film form, lots and lots and lots of examples with screenshots and images from films such as Avatar that explains how CGI works in those films to motion capture and so much more.

It even recommends you which films to watch in every topic you read. So if I was looking at lighting, it would recommend me to watch a specific film and shows me images that explain the topic more to the knowledge of understanding. I absolutely love this book!

It has helped me so much to engage with students during seminars and talk with my seminar leader about things I'm curious to talk about. Yes, the book is expensive but it's AH-mazing! I absolutely love it and seeing that my course is three years long, it's going to benefit me and shape me to become the film director I'm aspiring to become. :)

Sidenote: In this book, you'll also learn more about directors, actors, settings, shooting a movie, behind the scenes of how stuff comes together like Lord of the Rings and their incredible use of computer generated motion techniques, etc. I can't praise this book enough.

Hope my review will convince at least somebody out there that you get what you pay for. :)

4.0 out of 5 stars essential reading for a Film studies University course, 3 Nov 2013
Ms. J. E. Ainsworth "soul sister" (Grater manchester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Film Art: An Introduction (Paperback)
essential reading for a Film studies University course I bought this for my son as recommended by the course, he said that it is 4 stars

4.0 out of 5 stars Film Art, 26 May 2013
This review is from: Film Art: An Introduction (Paperback)
Comprehensive if a little academic in style - great pity they advertise use of the website but it is not available to UK customers

5.0 out of 5 stars A Cinematic Epic, 24 Mar 2013
This review is from: Film Art: An Introduction (Paperback)
This is your one stop book for anything to do with film - how they're made to how we understand them.

Hugely illustrated with endless references to films both popular and obscure.

The associated website is excellent too.

Another book that encourages as much as it challenges.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 20 Feb 2013
P. Patel - See all my reviews
This review is from: Film Art: An Introduction (Paperback)
Great book. David Bordwell is a superb writer. I have been looking forward to this for a while. Thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 Oct 2014
Gooooood

Film Art: An Introduction
Film Art: An Introduction by Kristin Thompson (Paperback - 1 Aug 2012)