1 Review

3.0 out of 5 stars Too wordy, 21 Jan 2012
This review is from: Labor Economics (Paperback)
It was a decent textbook, I'll give it that, loads of information and wonderful if I wanted an in depth look at the subject for my dissertation or something. But when I want to quickly check something or revise the important issues for the exam, it's really difficult to find the information within the verbiage. The empirical evidence should be separated from the text, as it clouds the central points.

There are paragraphs that consist entirely of questions. These are pointless and waste time. They may be stylistically nice, but I have yet to meet anyone who praises a textbook on its style. It is a textbook, and as such should tell us what we need to know and help us understand the subject.

Optimal textbook layout: theory/central learning point (explained clearly and concisely) > explanation of implications of this point > empirical evidence. This would make the textbook a lot more accessible. I have seen this done successfully in a number of other textbooks and I don't understand why the authors/editors thought mixing these three areas together would produce a useful learning experience.

Labor Economics
Labor Economics by George J Borjas (Paperback - 1 April 2007)
Used & New from: 2.47