4.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted
This book was well worth the money! I was struggling to find someone who could explain to me what all the 'letters' mean in speaker design, and how that translates into a specific size of box.
The author of this book takes great care to fully explain the meaning of the different elements and how they all relate to each other.
The only negative point I...
Published on 9 Feb 2006 by Mr J Heard

3.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting book, but limited in scope
David Weems provides a great deal of interesting information and formulae on the theory of loudspeaker design, but this only covers a limited range of types of speaker cabinet. The range of projects is similarly limited.
Published on 23 April 2011 by Mr. A. J. McHutchison

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted, 9 Feb 2006
Mr J Heard (Bordon, Hants United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Designing, Building, and Testing Your Own Speaker System with Projects (Paperback)
The only negative point I can make is that this book only focuses on Closed-Box and Ported speaker designs. Other types (Band-pass, Horn Loaded, Transmission Line, etc) are mentioned, but there's no real information to help you design one.
Given that 99% of speakers are either Closed-Box or Ported, this is not really a big issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 6 Aug 2009
C. Brown (London) - See all my reviews
I've read this book from cover to cover (OK admittedly it's not really designed for that) and found it an informative read. I was particularly grateful for the section on woodwork, the advantages and disadvantages of different materials and joints etc.

My only gripe is that the book could have had a small section on active speakers. Though active speakers are technically a speaker and an amplifier, I would have found such a section more useful than the extended section on speaker positioning, which isn't technically speaker design either.

But overall, a comprehensive guide with useful examples.

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied 100 %, 23 Mar 2009
Prof Dr Ilbeyi Agabeyoglu "ilbeyi" (Ankara, Turkey) - See all my reviews
I bought this book with a purpose in mind. I wanted to get my feet wet in designing and building a loudspeaker enclosure. This book satisfied all my expectations. The text is clear and concise. The theory and practice is given. Although somewhat long, an important program is given. That program is in QBASIC, which is somewhat outdated. A new version of the book would probably need a C or C++ version. Also, an accompanieng CD would be better. The book has four projects. I built the first one as a starter. It works excellent. I am now collecting parts for the fourth project. I recommend this book to anyone with similar interests.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good guide to making box and ported speakers, 23 Oct 2011
I was after a guide to help me rebuild some ported speakers I made from a kit in the 1980's. Using this book I was able to select suitable replacement bass drivers and tune the new boxes to their specification.

The worse thing about the book is that the computer modelling source code included in the book is written in GW basic. I was able to rewrite the code I wanted to run in c# with out much pain but I am a professional developer.

I would recommend this book to anyone who has not build speakers before and wants to make or repair box or ported speaker boxes.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting book, but limited in scope, 23 April 2011
Mr. A. J. McHutchison (Scotland) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 27 Dec 2010
A poor book, average information laid out in an outdated way with a chapter devoted to out of date computer program (1980 ish) Hardly any information on testing in a evaluative way.

5.0 out of 5 stars ...a good speaker design book!, 7 Jun 2010
Andre Gettatelli (Italy) - See all my reviews
excellent book to learn the basics of building speakers. Its 'very simple, but it is also very complete. Helps the reader at every step, explaining many tricks to help build a good system. Excellent for beginners and for those who want to have a very practical approach to loudspeakers implementation.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Little Useful Technical Detail, 7 Sep 2009
While the book has designs which probably work nicely (I have not constructed any) I was hoping to find a dissemination of the AES Journal papers by Small, Thiele and possibly Olson also. However the technical literature is not mentioned much at all. There isn't much teaching in this book. The author gives design tables and so forth with little explanation as to how they were produced or the physical processes that they arise from. In this respect the book is very disappointing. If however you are looking for a 'cookbook' to follow, then this is a good example with nice diagrams and copious detail on construction.

If you also seek a technical appraisal of the design of loudspeaker enclosures try the loudspeaker design cookbook (presently 7th Ed.) by Vance Dickason. While I have read Weams twice, (the second time just to make sure that I couldn't find what I was hoping for) every time I work on loudspeakers LDC will not be far away.

James

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from Mr Weems, 27 Sep 2013
Fantastic book considering its age. Lots of relevant information within its pages even if some of the technology is a little dated. Great delivery time considering everything.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing..., 22 Mar 2013
Sarasa (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
The current edition of this book is the fourth edition and it is seriously outdated. To be precise, it was published in 1997. While some of the content is still correct and relevant, a good deal is of little use. For example, chapter 7, "Fun With A Computer" - well, the title says it all. In some important areas like loudspeaker testing, very little is presented in the dozen pages allocated to this important subject. This book urgently needs an update.

Designing, Building, and Testing Your Own Speaker System with Projects