5.0 out of 5 stars 60 years on, it's still the definitive guide
I thought I had aeroplane control sussed as a student. A bit rough at the edges and things occasionally happened that I wasn't quite expecting, but good enough and nothing dangerous... Until I read this book.
Published on 30 Dec 2003 by stevieb4809

3.0 out of 5 stars For aviation bods
Dated now, but still good reading or those with an interest in flying.
The writing style is , well, seventy years old, but an excellent insight to flight training in the 40s.
Readable, but may require a little more effort than modern texts.
Published 15 months ago by Robert J. Brown

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars 60 years on, it's still the definitive guide, 30 Dec 2003
This review is from: Stick and Rudder: An Explanation of the Art of Flying: (Hardcover)
Langewiesche has writtten a masterpeice on the "art" of flying and is still compulsive reading after 60 years in print. His references are occasionally quaint, such as comparing the "gait" of your aeroplane to the gait of your horse and referring to the elevator as "flippers" (the latter being much less misleading).
If only he'd also written books called "A Practical Guide to International Politics", "Crime Fighting Made Simple" and "Understanding Women" the word would be a better place ;o)

5.0 out of 5 stars the best book on flying that I ever read., 27 April 1999
By A Customer
I began flying in 1944 and am still an active pilot in 1999. The is clearly the best book ever on how a plane flys and how you fly a plane. How I missed it for all these years, I will never know.

5.0 out of 5 stars The all time classic about the fundamentals of flying., 27 Sep 1997
By A Customer
Stick & Rudder is an all time favorite about how an airplane flies. Written over 50 years ago, it explains in a very easy-to-understand manner the basic four forces of flight, the three axis of motion, how an airfoil works, how basic aerodynamics affects flight, and how to perform the fundamental maneuvers. The information is as valid now as the day it was written. As a ground and flight instructor, I have used this as a basic text for all my students for the past 12 years. Discusses in detail straight & level flight, climbs and descents, turns, stalls, takeoffs, landings, torque, various aircraft configurations, and piloting techniques. An absolute "must have" for every pilot from Recreational to Airline Transport certificate, this is the FIRST book every aspiring pilot should read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on flying technique, period., 8 July 1998
By A Customer
Langewiesche has written the definitive book on aircraft manipulation. I learned more from this book than all the others I have read combined. Clear, concise, and well-written, no pilot should be without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes flying much clearer for students., 5 Aug 2001
By A Customer
This book helped rid me of the feeling in my first few hours of flying that I was not let in on what everyone else knew. It really clarifies those hazy edges when you're trying to take on such foreign skills. Someone should have told him that women have been known to fly too, though!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest Book on Flying I've Ever Read, 29 Jan 1999
By A Customer
I college I've taken several courses on aerodynamics, aircraft design and the theory of flight. They would've all been far easier to understand if only I had read "Stick & Rudder" first! This is one of those few works that just draws you in the second you pick it up. It's provided me with a better understanding about the airplanes I fly than anything else I've been exposed to. This could very well be the best work ever written on flying.

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding easy to read introduction to flying planes, 3 Jun 1997
By A Customer
Written many years ago with a style that really shows a unique understanding of how to convey complex information in a simple manner. If you are just starting off flying small planes this is the text for you because you will gain a real understanding of how things work. As a 150 hour PPL(A) this has been a unique book I'll use on many occaisions.

Read it

5.0 out of 5 stars The most "user friendly" book on Piloting ever written., 14 Oct 1998
By A Customer
One would think that any book on piloting written so long ago, just couldn't be useful. This is far from the case. What Mr. Langewiesche has done is amazing. He has brought what could have been a complex explaination on the art of flight to the level of the typical non-pilot.
He has made it a great read, rather than a dry and somewhat boreing dissertation on the dynamics of flight. I personally have left the ranks of active pilots some years ago, yet, I occasionally crack the pages and in so doing, I find some of my many memorys of flight, brought back to vivid life. I highly recommend this book for entry as well as veteran pilots.

5.0 out of 5 stars A CLASSIC ...ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES!, 23 July 1998
By A Customer
Back in the 70s, in the small town of Auburn, Alabama I was introduced to the thrill of piloting my own aircraft. At that time, my mentor presented me with his copy of "Stick and Rudder" with the warning that I should read it cover-to-cover and follow the wisdom presented therein. Well, here it is well into the 90s and the fact that I am fast becoming an "old" pilot speaks volumes about the validity of the material, clearly presented in a book of not quite 400 pages. This book would clearly be a bargain at twice the price, so buy it, read it, and LIVE by it!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you only buy one " how to fly "book make sure it is this one., 25 Jan 2013
Tellboy (Manchester) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This is the best explanation of how important it is to master basic aircraft controls which all glider pilots and light aircraft pilots soon seem to appreciate.
Reading some aircraft disasters on large computer controlled airliners it makes you wonder if the aircrews had missed the point of Rudder and Stick basics.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Stick and Rudder: An Explanation of the Art of Flying:
Stick and Rudder: An Explanation of the Art of Flying: by Wolfgang Langewiesche (Hardcover - 1 Jan 1944)
14.39