on 26 March 2014
lovely book..so special..Ive been busy in the kitchen..my kids enjoyed tasting all the differents flavors..they so love the breads and biscuits from this book..thank you
on 24 May 2011
Renowned Middle-Eastern expert, Arto der Haroutunian was Syrian by birth, and this excellent book which showcases many unique and authentic recipes from that region, is another one of his "Classics" This particular title was published posthumously as he sadly passed away so suddenly in 1987, shortly after completing his work on the book.
Mr Arto der Haroutunian lived in England, and I would like to say that I have not had any trouble in finding required ingredients, as the recipes call for fillo pastry,pistachio nuts, rosewater and semolina flour, all of which can be obtained from a Middle-Eastern or Asian grocer's, or one of the bigger supermarkets.
I have several of his titles, as I do enjoy cooking food from the Middle East. His recipes are truly authentic, and each concentrates on the produce available in the region. Many Armenian specialities are found here, like "Gatas" and they are clearly set-out making the recipes easy to follow, and frequently showing the finished result. There are also recipes for Greek cookies, Turkish Almond and Orange Baklava, Challah, and Persian Cocoa and Lemon biscuits.
When I served some cookies and Konafa, a Middle-Eastern speciality, some ladies from that part of the world couldn't believe I'd made them myself! The Egyptian Basbousa was a real favourite with the family.
If you enjoy home-baking with a Mediterranean or Middle Eastern flavour, then I would highly recommend that you buy this book.
I sincerely hope they reprint this one, as they are doing with so many of Arto der Haroutunian's sought-after titles.
on 4 June 2015
lovely book but some recipes not for beginners (me)