5.0 out of 5 stars Just plain brilliant!!, 7 Mar 2010
A Kid's Review
This review is from: The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Volume 1: Charmed Life / The Lives of Christopher Chant (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is impossible to put down. The first story is about Cat Chant and his evil sister. The second book is about the current Chrestomanci in the first book - Christopher Chant - as a boy. I would recommend the Chrestomanci Series to any Harry Potter fan - or even people who don't like Harry Potter. In my opinion, it is better than Harry Potter.

After reading 'Charmed Life' (the first book in Volume One) I strongly recommend 'The Pinhoe Egg', which is set shortly after and tells you more about Cat Chant. It is in Volume 3. The Chronicles of Chrestomanci: Volume 3: Conrad's Fate and the Pinhoe Egg: 3 (Chronicles of Chrestomanci)

Enjoy reading!

4.0 out of 5 stars won over after meeting Christopher Chant in book 2, 31 Aug 2009
T. MCMICHAEL "tracya" (uk) - See all my reviews
I bought this book for my 10 year old, as she was looking for something after reading all the Harry Potter series. Unfortunately she took a look at the cover and decided it wasn't for her! As a huge HP fan myself and having nothing in the house I hadn't read less than 5 times I picked it up.

I found Charmed Life took a while to get started, and then it was over, I wasn't overly keen on Cat's character as he was a total wimp and I found him annoying, however meeting Christoper Chant in book 2 was totally different, his visit's to the "Anywhere's" were well described and a lot of the story explained book 1.

I think I'll be buying the next volume, and hopefully my daughter will pick the book up eventually!

Not as good as HP but still a good book.

5.0 out of 5 stars New favourite book!, 30 Dec 2013
T. Lewry (France) - See all my reviews
I ordered this for my daughter having googled top books for young adults and it has instantly replaced her long-time favourite as "best book ever" so couldn't have hoped for any better! Haven't read it myself, but if you are looking for something for a teenage girl, you could do a lot worse than this.

5.0 out of 5 stars a goodun, 23 May 2006
P. J. Rice (London, England United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book is actually two books in one, there's also a second 'volume' with two more books, and several other storys which can be bought individually. This volume has the first two stories, but i think you could get away with reading the second volume first because they're not really sequels as such, just storys set in the same world.

when i bought this book i didn't know these things, and after i read the first story, i wanted to read about those same characters again, but the next story was about almost entirely different characters. apart from that small dissapointment, this book, and the whole series really, is really really good. every time i start a new story, its like 'oh no these new characters are going to be really boring compared to the last ones' but they never are, each story is just as good as the last.

5.0 out of 5 stars Diana Wynne Jones' Chrestomanci - Charmed life, 4 Dec 2011
Philip Rigg (Torquay) - See all my reviews
Charmed life by Diana Wynne Jones is a brilliant book full of magic and mystery. If you have read the Harry Potter books and the Narnia series then you'll love this book too! It is full of adventure and can be perfect for everybody. I would recomend it to all young readers as well as older readers. I am nine and I'm just starting reading the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read!!! Great 4 Harry and magic fans!!!!, 24 July 2003
Lizzy Daws (Lincolnshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Great!
My favourite characters are Cat and Chrestomanci(pronounced: KREST-OH-MAN-SEE)
I escpecially like Fiddle and Throgmorten! because I feel sorry for them!
A brilliant story set in a world were magic is common, and there are witches and wizards everywhere!
BETER THAN HARRY POTTER!!! (and that is something!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!, 4 Jan 2001
By A Customer
A captivating read. I love where Cat and Gwendolyn live-in amongst witches, diviners and necromancers. I especially liked the 'exotic suppliers', mainly because I think it would be nice to see inside their shops. If you have a taste for fantasy then I strongly advise you to read this book. I hope you enjoy it.