on 17 September 1997
What better way to explain to a child that it's OK to be different? Leo the Late Bloomer is a classic of American children's stories with brilliant illustrations that bring the tale to life. Leo the young tiger doesn't lead a "normal" child's life and his Father is constantly worried that something is wrong with his son. Leo experiences many of the childhood frustrations that we are all too familiar with such as being unathletic, unartistic or ostracized by your peers. Over time Leo absorbs what the others have been doing and eventually blossoms with a newfound love for life. This book brilliantly conveys the revelation of a child discovering his or her place in the giant world. Leo the Late Bloomer is a timeless classic with a relevant social message and is an enjoyable read for any age child.
on 23 October 2014
I was a 'late bloomer', being given this book rather upset me, actually making it clear people thought I wasn't doing things right/well enough/fast enough. I became an engineer, software consultant, movie producer and pilot, so no idiot, but this book still stings old wounds of not being acceptable, good enough etc.

That said, the illustrations are glorious. I'd scan them and rewrite the story, make it less judgemental of achievement and just embrace the beauty of the pictures. 5* for the pictures, but -2* for the message
on 21 December 2000
This book was a massive hit with my two daughters around 25 years ago. I was afraid it had gone out of print but have found it thanks to Amazon and have now given away three copies to a new generation of children including my first grandson. It's simply terrific - funny, uplifting and clever. If you have a small person in your life, buy him or her a copy.
on 18 November 1998
This book explores and shows appreciation for differences. It is an excellent resource for parents, teachers and students. We may not all be alike nor leaarn at the same rate, but differences can be accepted and appreciated.
on 20 October 2013
Book was described as used but looks new and arrived in a strong card envelope, excellent value, thank you. I had a copy of this book when I was teaching, loved it and wanted it for my grandchildren.
on 31 January 2013
a lovely book which seems to be out of print so it was great to come across it as a second hand product. Its a good read about little leo who keeps getting things wrong but is fine in the end
on 10 June 2010
"Leo the Late Bloomer" was a book both my children read and enjoyed when they were little. My son had difficulty processing visual-spatial information and was clumsy - lots of spills and a few quite nasty accidental injuries. I am pleased to report that he survived childhood, self esteem intact, has an interesting job he loves and is good at and has even achieved obtaining his driving licence at the age of 40.

So when my friend Sarah asked me to recommend a book for her son, now aged four, who seems dyspraxic (very clumsy) and is beginning to realise he is different, I had no hesitation in recommending Leo. I was surprised that I remembered that befuddled lion from all from all those years ago when he brought us delight. But Leo is truly unforgettable so he sprang instantly to mind.

I bought "Leo the Late Bloomer" as a surprise gift for Sarah and have heard that he is a big hit with a wee boy from a new generation of readers.

I highly recommend Leo for all children and especially those with a mild developmental delay. My favourite line, addressed to Leo's anxiously hovering parents is "A watched bloomer never blooms." And in his own good time Leo does in fact bloom. Just like my lovely son.