5.0 out of 5 stars Clever idea; very well executed.
This book follows the adventure of Harold and his purple crayon. Harold draws things with his purple crayon and then interacts with the things that he has drawn. The text is simple but the story is strong - the illustrations are basic (they are just pictures that you could draw with a purple crayon!) but very effective.
Great fun and very stimulating. When I read...
Published on 16 Feb 2005 by John E. Davidson

3.0 out of 5 stars Great first read
I bought this for my 4 year old who wanted to be read a 'proper book' rather than a baby book. He absolutely loved this and the 3 other Harold books we bought and now cannot wait to be able to read himself and read them again.
Published on 29 May 2012 by BethMcG

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever idea; very well executed., 16 Feb 2005
This review is from: Harold and the Purple Crayon (Purple Crayon Books) (Paperback)
Great fun and very stimulating. When I read it with my son (4) after having forgotten about the book for a while it provoked a huge number of quite complicated questions about the nature of reality and imagination.
Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Harold draws his way through an exciting journey., 16 Sep 1999
By A Customer
I first read this book as a child and still have it thirty something years later. It's a great little story of a small boy, Harold, who has a magic crayon which brings whatever he draws to life. He sets off on a great adventure, drawing the path as he goes. Wherever he goes, the moon goes with him. Harold's adventures lead him near and far until he gets rather lost. While looking for his house and his bedroom window he ends up drawing a whole city full of windows but none of them is his. Finally, Harold remembers that his window is always right around the moon. He draws his window and after making his bed, jumps in it and draws up the covers. As you might expect the book has very simple line drawings but they are quite effective. I've used this book with young children and they loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A children's classic, 10 Feb 2009
Ms. A. Stewart "Aunty Al" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my 3 year old niece as my sister and I had enjoyed it so much as kids. Interestingly enough, neither of us could remember the story, but that's not what's important. The pictures had stuck with us - they are so alive and really fire a child's imagination. My niece loves it and carts it around the house, demanding that any free adult read it to her. That surely, is a good enough review!

5.0 out of 5 stars A timeless classic., 10 Mar 2013
tmdini (London, England) - See all my reviews
This book requires a little creative imagination - perhaps more than other books. It was a huge hit in our house with both my daughter and then my son. Friends who've received it as a gift comment on this one long after it was given, more than any other book gift. I am confident that it is and will remain a classic. Harold's quick thinking in his quest to have an adventure and then return to bed comes up trumps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Teaching children how to draw, 5 Mar 2013
My children love this book so much that I think we might have to get the other 'Harold' books to see what else he draws.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my kids' favourites!, 16 Sep 2012
This book has been very popular in our household, from the 6 yr old, all the way down to the 2 yr old (waiting to see what baby thinks)...very cute pictures, imaginative story, easy to read, and keeps their attention. We ordered another in the series after reading this because our kids liked it so much! The basic gist is that the baby makes up his own adventures using the crayon to draw them as he goes...so if he needs a road to get somewhere, he draws it and walks along, until he needs a tree, and draws that. Then a dragon to guard the tree...etc. Very cute. Will get more, I'm sure. Wish I'd known about these when our oldest few were smaller!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great first read, 29 May 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique and creative children's book!, 13 Mar 2009
This book is really cute and very creative.
It is also quite long, a bit too long for toddlers.
I have read it several times to my 3 year old, and I don't think she really understands it. Maybe best for ages 4 and up?

5.0 out of 5 stars A timeless classic, 13 May 2012
Not a book I grew up with unfortunately, but one that I was introduced to by my American sister-in-law. A really great book that will stimulate children's imagination whilst adults will enjoy it too. Simple but beautiful and charming.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 29 July 2011
A fantastic series, this is the first one and encourages children to use their imaginations and create their own stories and dreams.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Harold and the Purple Crayon (Purple Crayon Books)
Harold and the Purple Crayon (Purple Crayon Books) by Crockett Johnson (Paperback - 5 Feb 1992)
Used & New from: 0.01