5.0 out of 5 stars Totally emolove.
Published on 25 Jun 2006 by Rummy

On writing alone, this book (like all of Block's work) deserves five stars, no question. It's beautifully written, with gorgeous description and phrasing and all the rest of it. It's a pleasure to read.

But I can't deny that the ending had me hissing and spitting, and if I'd had a paperback instead of an ebook I would have thrown it across the room...
Published 20 months ago by Siavahda

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally emolove., 25 Jun 2006
This review is from: Wasteland (Paperback)
This is a rather short book, and can be read in a night. I would know, because I have done so several times. The book is easy to read, but might not be easy to process. It is a very sad book, that broaches several topics that might be hard to digest, like incest, suicide and depression. The story is told from several different angles, in different forms which at times might seems confusing, but it in the end all should be clear.

A sad book that offers an odd sort of relief in the end.

2.0 out of 5 stars Offended me greatly - but not for the reason you think. Spoilers., 17 Jan 2013
This review is from: Wasteland (Kindle Edition)

I applaud books that tackle the issue of incest. Tabitha Suzuma's Forbidden springs to mind as one of the best I've ever read. But this? No. Beware spoilers: on literally the second-last page, all of Block's work to make the incest understandable and even beautiful is undone because, get this - he's not her brother. He was adopted.

You know what? You don't get to do that. You don't get to tackle such a painful, complex issue, which affects REAL PEOPLE and causes REAL PAIN, and then brush it all away like a magic trick. You don't get to say: look, it's all okay, they're not related! Because by doing that, you're saying that 'actually, despite the fact that I have spent this book showing you that consensual incest is okay, really it's bad and wrong and only okay when it's only pretend.'

Just. I'm so unbelievably disgusted. I never thought Block would pull a card like that. I'm so done.

Wasteland
Wasteland by Francesca Lia Block (Paperback - Oct 2004)
Used & New from: £0.01