1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars AN ENCHANTING BOOK, 22 Nov 2012
Brian Tawn "briantawn" (Cambridgeshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Land I Lost: Adventures of a Boy in Vietnam (Harper Trophy) (Paperback)
This is one of two books (The Land I Lost and Water Buffalo Days) by Huynh Quang Nhuong, both of which consist of memories of a man who grew up in Vietnam, but was seriously injured during the war and was taken to America, where he still lives.
Each book is only around 120 pages and contain a number of short pieces, from three to six pages long. They are written in simple terms, making the books suitable for young readers and for anyone interested in life in a Vietnam village prior to the war.
I'm sure these memories are seen through rose-tinted glasses, but the fact remains that the author presents us with a simple, but very precious way of life, lived by some fine people.
I found it interesting that the people in it took great dangers in their stride as a matter of course, something which is hard to imagine, here in my safe life in England.
I loved these books and warmed to the people. These books should be available in schools.

The Land I Lost: Adventures of a Boy in Vietnam (Harper Trophy)
The Land I Lost: Adventures of a Boy in Vietnam (Harper Trophy) by Huynh Quang Nhuong (Paperback - 29 July 1999)