4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as The Cartoon History of the Universe
I was delighted when some time ago I received two volumes of Larry Gonick's Cartoon History of the Universe as a present from a friend. It is absolutely hilarious! Being a physicist, I considered it a must to add Cartoon Guide to Physics to my Larry Gonick collection.

Published on 6 July 2000 by Primoz Peterlin

2.0 out of 5 stars cartoon yes - simple no
Published on 3 Nov 2009 by P. Radcliffe

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as The Cartoon History of the Universe, 6 July 2000
This review is from: The Cartoon Guide to Physics (Paperback)

However, I was disappointed. The guide indeed tries to cover a significant amount of the usual high-school physics course - mechanics, electricity and magnetism (missing are thermodynamics and optics) - but it is not really as charmingly funny as the Cartoon History of the Universe. As a physicist, I can assure you that the problem does not lie in the simple fact that the history is more interesting topic than physics - physics is plenty interesting, thank you! But the desired blend between the textbook and the cartoon resulted in something that is not educational enough to actually learn something from it and too boring to make a good cartoon.

Trying to find some bright spot, I am happy to report I have not discovered any major flops in the science part of the book. Also, I believe the book actually becomes somewhat more interesting toward the end. But then again, if I would have to choose between, say, the chapter on relativity and Joseph Schwartz's Einstein for Beginners, I would probably opt for the latter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, fun way to learn a difficult subject., 12 Jan 1999
This review is from: The Cartoon Guide to Physics (Paperback)
If you haven't seen these Cartoon Guides before, you are in for a treat! They are a FABULOUS way to teach science. This book covers a broad range of physics from Mechanics to Electricity and Magnetism. But the whole book is a cartoon that creates most enjoyable reading. Whenever I get one of these books, my preteen asks to borrow it! (He's also learned genetics this way). Although it does not contain experiments as such, the presentations of scientific history and principles are great. Definitely a necessary book for older children, teachers and professionals...from The Science Spiders(TM) Newsletter

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Cartoon Guides!, 31 May 1998
This review is from: The Cartoon Guide to Physics (Paperback)
Larry Gonick is amazing. I've read a number of his "cartoon guides" and this one didn't let me down. I happened to read it while taking a highschool physics class. It was great--I kept thinking "Oh! *Now* I get it!" I think that this is an excellent supplement to any "official" textbook or class: the textbook will give you the math problems, etc., and the Cartoon Guide to Physics will allow you to understand the concepts behind them.

5.0 out of 5 stars For the physics lovers!!, 14 Oct 2013
J. Dominguez (Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cartoon Guide to Physics (Paperback)
If love physics you'll love this book!!
and if you love sciences you'll love any of his books!!!

I (almost) have them all!!

2.0 out of 5 stars cartoon yes - simple no, 3 Nov 2009
P. Radcliffe - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cartoon Guide to Physics (Paperback)
I bought this as my son, aged 9, who is fascinated by physics (forces, motion, simple machines etc;). Maybe I was looking in the wrong place, but this cartoon guide isn't easy to understand and makes the mistake a lot of those "who know" make - that is making logical leaps based on prior knowledge. For the bulk of us we want a little hand holding to explain the basics to allow us to progress to the harder stuff. This does not deliver this - as I say maybe I was looking in the wrong place? It remains on the shelf unused and unloved.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is perfect!, 24 Dec 1998
This review is from: The Cartoon Guide to Physics (Paperback)
This book is filled with outstanding point of view. The most satisfied thing is the emphasis on the role of Galileo. And the explanation of relativity is fantastic! I cannot remember better one. I strongly recommend this book to my clever students. Thanks to Larry Gonick!

5.0 out of 5 stars LEARNING PHYSICS CAN BE FUN, 8 Mar 1999
This review is from: The Cartoon Guide to Physics (Paperback)
I have a degree in Physics from 37 years ago and picked this book up after browsing for a few minutes. The book is GREAT, OUTSTANDING, FUN TO READ, WELL ORGANIZED and EXPLAINS a lot about the every day physics we live in. This book is a must for students interested in learning more about physics. I am going to buy a couple of other titles by this author for my library.

ARRAY(0xab8f7eac)

The Cartoon Guide to Physics
The Cartoon Guide to Physics by Larry Gonick (Paperback - 22 July 1999)
7.69