5.0 out of 5 stars The Only One You'll Ever Need ...
Published on 8 Oct. 2005 by T. Nixon

3.0 out of 5 stars Purchased this to support my million word self edit
Presentation and Content

First Published in 1993. From the brief references so far the book seems to offer some good advice ... I read on Alexander of the Allrighters and Ywnwab!
Published 13 months ago by Alexander Kreator

5.0 out of 5 stars The Only One You'll Ever Need ..., 8 Oct. 2005
T. Nixon "Terri Nixon" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Self-Editing for Fiction Writers: How to Edit Yourself into Print (Paperback)
This book is the only one of the dozens I've bought over the years that I found it easy, enlightening and valuable to read and re-read as I began the process of editing my first full length novel. Simple, common sense approach that nevertheless makes you go back over your own work and thump your forehead: how could you make such elementary mistakes? How could you have thought *that* sentence sounded good? How could you have considered letting *that* many cliches loose in your work? This book really is the only one you'll ever need to self-edit your work; it doesn't try and instruct you in the art of constructing a plot or premise, but it does help you to pare back and improve what you've already created.

5.0 out of 5 stars A 10 star WINNER!!!!!!!!!!, 21 April 1999
By A Customer
When I was in High School and college, I remember people searching for old quizzes. We wanted to know what was on the exam and focused our midnight oil burning sessions trying to mimic the success of past victims. Zuckerman and Stein are great on telling you how to build a good novel (I recommend them also) but Self Editing is the key to the exam. One of the main problem areas in my writing is telling instead of showing when only one character in a scene. I have read accepted works of fiction that had no dialogue and I would see many cases of what I thought was telling --I was thoroughly confused. Self Editing opened the heavens and now I can write a good internal monologue instead of telling. I learn best by example and this book has example after example. If I had found this book a year ago, I would probably be finished with my novel. I have spent hundreds of dollars on writing books and I consider this one to be my most valuable reference. I could spend hours praising the authors for their clear and concise lessons. My only regret in this review is that I can't give the book 10 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only fiction editing book you'll need, 27 Aug. 1999
By A Customer
I have hundreds of books on writing - I bought this book about a month ago, and it's the best book ever on editing fiction. I've now recommended it to four other people who are getting a copy. This is a practical, no-nonsense book which explains clearly chapter-by-chapter how to edit and improve prose, dialogue, setting, and just about everything you can think of in fiction. Don't even hesitate or look for another editing book. I've got most of them, and this is it. And no, I'm not the author, nor the publisher. Read it, put it into practice, and get miles ahead of the competition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book for any fiction or non-fiction writer!, 11 Sept. 1998
By A Customer
In our publishing company, we recommend this book first to any authors that we work with! Reading this, then self-editing, will take care of the majority of editing problems that arise. It makes our work that much easier--most writers cannot gain the full objectivity of an editor, but with this book, they can come close!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ideal Self Editing Guide, 10 Jun. 2006
Michael J. Hunt "mjhunt21" (England) - See all my reviews
Writers of fiction need look no further. Acquire a copy of Self Editing, read it, mark it, digest it, apply it. Sorry, Amazon, but once a writer has Browne and King to guide them, no other book is necessary. My personal thanks to Renni and Dave. I intended writing to them years ago. My own two books, unpublished at that stage, were in dire need of self-editing, and now they're published, and available on this site.

Like Terri Pine, I discovered new depths of self-deprecation when I re-read the manuscripts. Others to whom I have recommended the book have felt the same. Three cheers for Self Editing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fiction writers should not just read but digest this book., 24 Mar. 1998
By A Customer
If I had to pare my collection of writing books down to two, this would be one of the two. Strunk and White can cure the errors that make your fiction ungrammatical; this book diagnoses and offers hope for the errors that make your action plod, your dialogue ring false, and your whole manuscript bore.
I was able to literally see my writing getting better as I learned these principles and applied them. There aren't many books that can claim that.

5.0 out of 5 stars an invaluable source of information for fiction writers., 31 Dec. 2000
By A Customer
As a freelance writer I have found this book to be of great help. I am learning to be more critical of my work ie: seeing my writing through the eyes of the editor. From this book I have developed a strategy for evaluating and then editing my work before sending it out as a final polished piece. Excellent. I found the chapters on show and tell very interesting, a must for any fiction writer. The exercises are great and extremely useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book to help you polish your novel, 17 Jun. 2004
Deborah MacGillivray "Author," (US & UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This books is rather simple in it's goal and goes about it in a very usable fashion. I was recommended to me by Lynsay Sands - a writer I adore and she got the recommend of Christina Skye's website, so evidently writers appreciate this book!
It's presented in what not to do and what to do sections for every phase of your work, characterization, Point of View, Dialogue, etc. Each sections you are shown and example - a hoot since they use REAL published works for examples! Then they tell you what they did wrong. Next they give examples for you to take an rewrite properly. It's a "keyboard" exercise for writers to stay sharp and learn how to better present their novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best book of its kind, 14 Feb. 1999
By A Customer
This book is essential for both beginning and experienced writers. I teach from it; I learn from it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth having, 27 Jun. 2003
By A Customer
Very useful with lots of good examples and more importantly - exercises with answers! I particularly liked the bit on how not to look like a hack writer - very enlightening. Defintely worth getting but be prepared for typos :-(

Self-Editing for Fiction Writers: How to Edit Yourself into Print