5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out loud humour, pathos, love and pomposity, 12 Aug. 2004
I have loved this book since first reading it over twenty years ago, when the first chapter had me rolling on the floor with laughter. The edition that I read compared it favourably to both Animal Farm and Lord of the Rings, and for sheer impact I would have to agree, but this is a masterpiece of its own. There is a marvellous array of characters - from Chauntecleer, ruler of the Coop, to TickTock the pedantic black ant, the wonderfully pompous Ocellata the wild turkey ... and my favourites: Mundo Cani, the dog who is "MAROOOOONED!" in his body, and John Wesley Weasel ("John W of the W's"). I'm unsure why Amazon describe this book as "full of religious allegory ... I mean - yes, it describes a world made by God in which the animals are the keepers of the evil Wyrm, and the battle that commences as Wyrm attempts to break free ... but does this make it allegorical?
Please, treat yourself to an explosive treat and buy this book. I can all but promise you laughter, tears and a read that you will return to again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A rare treat, 25 Nov. 2007
R. Banton "Rickyban" (UK) - See all my reviews
I'd compare this book to the World War 2, than lord of the rings.
Chauntecleer obviously being Churchill, Wyrm being hitler and Cockatrice and his Basilisks being Nazies. The Turkeys being the Italiens. Mundo Cani being, well very unique. I just loved that dog. The weazels being the good ¨hard working Tommies.
I love this book, even if the writing does get a bit voctorian in it's dialog. Which at times is frustrating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 11 Mar. 2014
I used this book for a myth essay as their are multiple underlying stories within the book. I found the book to also be incredibly interesting. Good book if you want to read something different.
Fantasy book, with animals been the main characters

The Book of the Dun Cow
The Book of the Dun Cow by Walter, Jr. Wangerin (Paperback - Mar. 1989)
Used & New from: £0.01